The Student Room Group

Are student loans in the UK halal?

Hi I’ve started uni just completed my first year. A lot of people are saying to me that student loan is haram and that it contains ribaa and you will get punished for it. What if this is the only way to go into uni? Will I still be punished for it?
Hey there.

Student loans in the UK are riba-based. When you start paying back those loans once you start earning over a certain amount of money, you will be paying interest on it. This is clearly stated as haram in the Quran and we must stay away from it, regardless of the circumstances. It’s not permitted for a reason, whether we understand the logic behind it or not, it does not matter as Allah knows best.

If you didn’t know this previously, you won’t be held accountable for this. However, you know now and you must find another way of obtaining a degree to get into whatever profession it is you’re working towards.

If it’s something like medicine, dentistry, law etc where you NEED to go to university to be able to work as a doctor/dentist/lawyer etc., you could look at going university abroad where it might be cheaper/where loans are not interest-based. If it’s a degree you can get by doing an apprenticeship, go for it.

It’s frustrating that the government doesn’t have any measures in place for Muslim students considering how many Muslims live in the UK. I remember there was a petition several years ago regarding this, but it didn’t lead anywhere.

You could try looking at Islamic banks, but I’m not quite sure how they work, and there are only a few around the UK.

I hope this has helped. May Allah help you with your studies and provide you with another means to get your degree.

As I’m obviously not a scholar, I would suggest speaking with one or talking to your local Imam. There are also several websites online where you might be able to find more information and more evidence if required. I definitely recommend Islamqa.

In’sha’Allah you make the best decision that would support you in the dunya but also be of reward for you in the akhirah.
(edited 8 months ago)
i dont wanna be rude, but i believe i heard somewhere that if it is for education, it is permissible? but the money should only go the uni fees and nothing else
maybe im wrong but i saw a video saying this, im not an imam or scholar so dont take my word heavily
yeah i’m thinking ab this too ngl 😭
Reply 4
Original post by madzzzzina
Hey there.

Student loans in the UK are riba-based. When you start paying back those loans once you start earning over a certain amount of money, you will be paying interest on it. This is clearly stated as haram in the Quran and we must stay away from it, regardless of the circumstances. It’s not permitted for a reason, whether we understand the logic behind it or not, it does not matter as Allah knows best.

If you didn’t know this previously, you won’t be held accountable for this. However, you know now and you must find another way of obtaining a degree to get into whatever profession it is you’re working towards.

If it’s something like medicine, dentistry, law etc where you NEED to go to university to be able to work as a doctor/dentist/lawyer etc., you could look at going university abroad where it might be cheaper/where loans are not interest-based. If it’s a degree you can get by doing an apprenticeship, go for it.

It’s frustrating that the government doesn’t have any measures in place for Muslim students considering how many Muslims live in the UK. I remember there was a petition several years ago regarding this, but it didn’t lead anywhere.

You could try looking at Islamic banks, but I’m not quite sure how they work, and there are only a few around the UK.

I hope this has helped. May Allah help you with your studies and provide you with another means to get your degree.

As I’m obviously not a scholar, I would suggest speaking with one or talking to your local Imam. There are also several websites online where you might be able to find more information and more evidence if required. I definitely recommend Islamqa.

In’sha’Allah you make the best decision that would support you in the dunya but also be of reward for you in the akhirah.

Hello,

Thank you for your time to respond to my msg, however I’m afraid I can’t do that doing Primary Education where I’m trying to become a primary teacher. I’m already going into second year my parents won’t let me move out unfortunately. I have to complete the degree in the UK 😭😭. I know I’m sinning a lot and I feel guilty for this but it is my only option
Reply 5
Original post by aneer3wq3wt
i dont wanna be rude, but i believe i heard somewhere that if it is for education, it is permissible? but the money should only go the uni fees and nothing else
maybe im wrong but i saw a video saying this, im not an imam or scholar so dont take my word heavily

No your not being rude but thank you for your input

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending