The Student Room Group

Geoscience & Geology 2016

Scroll to see replies

Lots of data for those of you who have applied to Oxford. You need to scroll down on the links to find the data to download.

Oxford Uni stats for Earth Sciences

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/earth_sciences_admissions_stats?unfold=1#incoming-481914

Oxford Uni stats for people with a SpLd in STEM courses

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/admissions_statistics_of_people_2
Original post by Oxfordians13
Lots of data for those of you who have applied to Oxford. You need to scroll down on the links to find the data to download.

Oxford Uni stats for Earth Sciences

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/earth_sciences_admissions_stats?unfold=1#incoming-481914

Oxford Uni stats for people with a SpLd in STEM courses

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/admissions_statistics_of_people_2

I'd like to see the overall admissions data for 2015 entry though...
(edited 8 years ago)
Did anyone who applied to Oxford this year, apply to an universities in the US? Ie Harvard, Yale, Stanford, etc
Good luck to everyone receiving Oxford decisions later this week, wish we could all get in :biggrin:
Original post by BigWillow
Good luck to everyone receiving Oxford decisions later this week, wish we could all get in :biggrin:

Good luck too!!:biggrin:
Good luck :biggrin:
I got rejected from Oxford. I worked myself up so much after my interviews thinking I would definitely get in, so I couldn't be more upset right now. Good luck to everyone else!
Reply 347
Sorry to hear that! I have a relative that used to lecture at Oxford and he said that he wouldn't recommend going there to study as an undergraduate to anyone.

It was because all the lectures wanted to teach to the post grad students as they had a higher ability. Hardly any of the lectures would want to stoop to the level of the newly welcomed under grads.

Take what I've said with a pinch of salt, but that is why I didn't apply there this year. :smile:
Original post by Xetter
Sorry to hear that! I have a relative that used to lecture at Oxford and he said that he wouldn't recommend going there to study as an undergraduate to anyone.

It was because all the lectures wanted to teach to the post grad students as they had a higher ability. Hardly any of the lectures would want to stoop to the level of the newly welcomed under grads.

Take what I've said with a pinch of salt, but that is why I didn't apply there this year. :smile:

Sounds a bit harsh, I've had no real complaints with any of the lectures so far as a dumb newly welcomed undergrad and to be honest that sounds like most departments...

Original post by Mathematicus65
I got rejected from Oxford. I worked myself up so much after my interviews thinking I would definitely get in, so I couldn't be more upset right now. Good luck to everyone else!

Very sorry to hear that, I'm sure you'll be very happy wherever you end up though. How are your applications to the US going?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Plagioclase
Sounds a bit harsh, I've had no real complaints with any of the lectures so far and to be honest that sounds like most departments...

Very sorry to hear that, I'm sure you'll be very happy wherever you end up though. How are your applications to the US going?

It will still take some serious time to get over though:frown: just shows that you can't possibly know how an interview went, as it might be completely different in their eyes. I have done my SATs (the admissions tests for the U.S.) and have sufficiently high scores now. I have a place at Stanford and I have an interview coming up in London with Harvard in about two weeks. It's slightly different though because you don't apply for any particular course, you just apply to the university and they decide whether to admit you or not and then you can choose from a wide range of courses. Hopefully that goes well but at the moment I'll either go to Imperial College or i'll go to the U.S. and study at Stanford.
Reply 350
[QUOTE=Plagioclase;61781069]Sounds a bit harsh, I've had no real complaints with any of the lectures so far and to be honest that sounds like most departments...

Like I said, take it with a pinch of salt! I personally haven't visited an open day so my opinion is only based on others. It was just food for thought. :smile:
Original post by Mathematicus65
It will still take some serious time to get over though:frown: just shows that you can't possibly know how an interview went, as it might be completely different in their eyes. I have done my SATs (the admissions tests for the U.S.) and have sufficiently high scores now. I have a place at Stanford and I have an interview coming up in London with Harvard in about two weeks. It's slightly different though because you don't apply for any particular course, you just apply to the university and they decide whether to admit you or not and then you can choose from a wide range of courses. Hopefully that goes well but at the moment I'll either go to Imperial College or i'll go to the U.S. and study at Stanford.

Well that sounds really positive and to be perfectly honest whilst I'd have been too intimidated to apply to the US, I think their system allowing you to have more flexibility over your courses is great. I'm going to guess that the problem isn't so much that you can't go to Oxford - since both Stanford and Imperial are probably just as good - but more that they've rejected you, but again you've got to bear in mind that the interview isn't purely based on your academic ability so as easy as it is for me to say it, avoid seeing it as a personal reflection of your abilities. You're a very, very intelligent person and you will do extremely well wherever you end up choosing.
Original post by Xetter
Sounds a bit harsh, I've had no real complaints with any of the lectures so far and to be honest that sounds like most departments...Like I said, take it with a pinch of salt! I personally haven't visited an open day so my opinion is only based on others. It was just food for thought. :smile:

Sorry, probably got a bit defensive there :lol:
Reply 352
[QUOTE=Plagioclase;61781243]Well that sounds really positive and to be perfectly honest whilst I'd have been too intimidated to apply to the US, I think their system allowing you to have more flexibility over your courses is great. I'm going to guess that the problem isn't so much that you can't go to Oxford - since both Stanford and Imperial are probably just as good - but more that they've rejected you, but again you've got to bear in mind that the interview isn't purely based on your academic ability so as easy as it is for me to say it, avoid seeing it as a personal reflection of your abilities. You're a very, very intelligent person and you will do extremely well wherever you end up choosing.

Sorry, probably got a bit defensive there :lol:

Haha it's ok! Sorry we got off on the wrong foot!
Rejected😂😂😂
Original post by HassanAftab
Rejected😂😂😂

Oh no! :cry:

Well at least you can still make smiley faces. Very sorry to hear that. Are you going to firm Imperial then?
I actually can't believe that I have an offer, I am in a state of shock, but at the same time the happiest I have ever felt :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
I actually can't believe that I have an offer, I am in a state of shock, but at the same time the happiest I have ever felt :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Congratulations!!!

Oh well done! Really happy for you :h:
Which college is that for again?
Original post by HassanAftab
Rejected😂😂😂

Never mind, at least you were good enough to be interviewed, enjoy Imperial! My daughter got in at Worcester so we are really pleased for her 😀
Original post by Oxfordians13
Never mind, at least you were good enough to be interviewed, enjoy Imperial! My daughter got in at Worcester so we are really pleased for her 😀

Very good to hear! Congratulations to her :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending