The Student Room Group

Best uni for environmental science/geoscience/ecology/environmental development?

Hi!
I am currently studying graphic design at uni. I no longer have passion for the subject and after talking to friends and family, I realised I dislike graphic design and how miserable it makes me. I like being creative but doing the course has made me want to stop making art. since I’ve started my course during the pandemic I didn’t fully realise how much I was missing out on in my uni experience too.
My true passion is helping find solutions to preserve and help the environment. I was very into geography, biology and chemistry in secondary school. Im not a huge maths whiz and don’t do well with studies focused very much in mathematics and equations or engineering and economics.
I would want a course that is more research based with fieldwork and that is hands on and focused on identifying problems and figuring out solutions.
I don’t mind where the course is but I’d like somewhere closer to home (like 2 hours on the train) - I live in Wiltshire.
I’ve been considering Birmingham, UWE, ULC, Greenwich, Royal Holloway Collage, Bath Spa and Essex and Brighton at a push for distance.
I’d need a place that didn’t require prior experience as I did graphic design at college.
Is anyone on the environmental courses at those unis that could tell me what it’s like? Or any other Unis that are good.
I also would like an exciting and busy place where in my downtime I can go to a gig, a cool place to eat, and to the club with friends.
Thank you :smile:
Original post by Bulkyjuice
Hi!
I am currently studying graphic design at uni. I no longer have passion for the subject and after talking to friends and family, I realised I dislike graphic design and how miserable it makes me. I like being creative but doing the course has made me want to stop making art. since I’ve started my course during the pandemic I didn’t fully realise how much I was missing out on in my uni experience too.
My true passion is helping find solutions to preserve and help the environment. I was very into geography, biology and chemistry in secondary school. Im not a huge maths whiz and don’t do well with studies focused very much in mathematics and equations or engineering and economics.
I would want a course that is more research based with fieldwork and that is hands on and focused on identifying problems and figuring out solutions.
I don’t mind where the course is but I’d like somewhere closer to home (like 2 hours on the train) - I live in Wiltshire.
I’ve been considering Birmingham, UWE, ULC, Greenwich, Royal Holloway Collage, Bath Spa and Essex and Brighton at a push for distance.
I’d need a place that didn’t require prior experience as I did graphic design at college.
Is anyone on the environmental courses at those unis that could tell me what it’s like? Or any other Unis that are good.
I also would like an exciting and busy place where in my downtime I can go to a gig, a cool place to eat, and to the club with friends.

Hey, which uni did you end up picking? :smile:
Original post by Bulkyjuice
Hi!

Hi,
I'm currently in my 3rd year studying physical geography at Lancaster. Although, this is further away by train as we are in the north west, i've really enjoyed my time studying here, as the department staff are really friendly and helpful and there's lots of options to get hands on field experience. I've been on lots of fieldtrips in the Lake district and the Yorkshire dales looking at hydrology, coasts, geology ect. but there's also lots of human geography fieldtrips available if your more interested in this area, and opportunities to go abroad. My favorite fieldtrip was a week residential to Slapton in Devon over summer looking at Hydrology.
I'll attach the list of environmental courses Lancaster has, if your interested in this. https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/lec/
In terms of the city of Lancaster, its a fairly small city but there always seems to be lots of events happening, for instance there's a music festival in local bars and pubs every October, and there's 3 clubs in town, 1 of which is run by the students union, as well as lots of good places to shop and eat.
If you have any more questions about studying geography at uni, or Lancaster in general, feel free to ask!
- Jasmine (Lancaster Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending