The Student Room Group

Will this hinder me in anyway?

Hello all,
Similarly to many of you, I just received my GCSE grades and was happy to gain 7/6 A* (depending upon whether you count a short, basic ICT course as a GCSE) and 3 A's. Now, I am not at all complaining about these grades and I know that they leave many doors still open to me. My issue is, my 3 A's are in Maths, English language and Spanish. My A*'s are in History, Geography, English lit, Physics, Chemistry, Biology and the pretty basic ICT course, although I'm pretty sure it counts for a grade. Anyway, I've been told that maths and English language are the two most important GCSE qualifications and the ones universities look at the most. An A is of course above average, but if I'm aiming for the top universities is this going to hinder me in anyway at all?
I sound extremely cocky when I say this, but I'm baffled as to how I managed to get below 155/200 in my edexcel maths exam. I got my hands on copies of the paper and went through Mr M's unofficial mark scheme and a mark of at least 160 seemed nailed on. Yet, we win some and lose some, and I lost.

I'm sure many of you will think I'm just trying to show off or something, but I don't honestly think these results are all that great when you compare with other people on here. My teachers told me after receiving my results that I should really push on with my AS levels and go for the top universities - my school is not that great and we do not get students coming out with 13A*'s, which seems to happen in many other schools around the country according to these forums.
Reply 1
This definitely will not hinder you! You just have to keep up the effort at A-Level, because your results are not bad at all- they're great! People with worse results have gone on to do great things in academia so no worries.
Original post by Oddwatermelon
Hello all,
Similarly to many of you, I just received my GCSE grades and was happy to gain 7/6 A* (depending upon whether you count a short, basic ICT course as a GCSE) and 3 A's. Now, I am not at all complaining about these grades and I know that they leave many doors still open to me. My issue is, my 3 A's are in Maths, English language and Spanish. My A*'s are in History, Geography, English lit, Physics, Chemistry, Biology and the pretty basic ICT course, although I'm pretty sure it counts for a grade. Anyway, I've been told that maths and English language are the two most important GCSE qualifications and the ones universities look at the most. An A is of course above average, but if I'm aiming for the top universities is this going to hinder me in anyway at all?
I sound extremely cocky when I say this, but I'm baffled as to how I managed to get below 155/200 in my edexcel maths exam. I got my hands on copies of the paper and went through Mr M's unofficial mark scheme and a mark of at least 160 seemed nailed on. Yet, we win some and lose some, and I lost.

I'm sure many of you will think I'm just trying to show off or something, but I don't honestly think these results are all that great when you compare with other people on here. My teachers told me after receiving my results that I should really push on with my AS levels and go for the top universities - my school is not that great and we do not get students coming out with 13A*'s, which seems to happen in many other schools around the country according to these forums.

Right, first as long as you get into your sixth form your good and from your grades your fine. Your grades are more than enough to be accepted to very higher tier universities however if you don't intend to going to Cambridge or Oxford ( which you probably are ) then I want yourself to figure this matter since this situation seems easy ( not to make matters worse ). You must understand that your exaggerating to much about university standards and saying you need A*s. However this is not the case since most universities only need minimum requirements most importantly your maths and English grades. Most of the big universities which are the Russell groups, mostly care about your A levels which you haven't done yet. So I don't recommend you worrying about such matters as this will lower your confidence. Also if you check some statistics there's not a lot of people who can get the amount of A*s you have received and the fact that you got A*-As is incredible. Also for the maths, as long as you keep working hard for 6th form your good.

So yeah, sorry for talking to much
Hope this helps.
Reply 3
Don't worry. You have your whole life ahead of you. Theres always another way to reach your goals. There always other routes to success. The traditional GCSE to A-Level to Degree isn't the only route.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I doubt it would hinder you!!! Keep up the grades for A-level but make sure you understand the jump!

Quick Reply

Latest