The Student Room Group

Cognitive neuroscience to clinical psychology?

Hi 😊

I've completed a BSc in psychology and have been working for the past year as a recovery practitioner.

I am interested in studying clinical psych and am keen to do a master's, partly to help applications and partly because I enjoy studying.

I am very interested in a cognitive psychology MSc as i love the sound of the course content, but am worried this would hinder potential applications to clinical psychology in the future.

I suppose my question is, should I go for this cognitive neuroscience MSc, or should I just focus on experience? I would need to do the course part time anyway to fund it, so will hopefully be working in a related field at the same time.

Has anybody got experience going from neuroscience to clinical psychology who could possibly give some advice?

Thank you!
Reply 1
Original post by turniptop
Hi 😊

I've completed a BSc in psychology and have been working for the past year as a recovery practitioner.

I am interested in studying clinical psych and am keen to do a master's, partly to help applications and partly because I enjoy studying.

I am very interested in a cognitive psychology MSc as i love the sound of the course content, but am worried this would hinder potential applications to clinical psychology in the future.

I suppose my question is, should I go for this cognitive neuroscience MSc, or should I just focus on experience? I would need to do the course part time anyway to fund it, so will hopefully be working in a related field at the same time.

Has anybody got experience going from neuroscience to clinical psychology who could possibly give some advice?

Thank you!

If it's something you are interested in, I'd say go for it! It's a relevant qualification, will improve your academic and research skills, and doing it part-time, as you say, will allow you to continue building on work experience alongside your studies. It certainly wouldn't hinder your chances at getting onto the doctorate in future, in fact, I would think it would boost your chances.
Reply 2
Original post by Nerol
If it's something you are interested in, I'd say go for it! It's a relevant qualification, will improve your academic and research skills, and doing it part-time, as you say, will allow you to continue building on work experience alongside your studies. It certainly wouldn't hinder your chances at getting onto the doctorate in future, in fact, I would think it would boost your chances.

Hi Nerol,

Thank you for your reply, that's really useful to know and I'll keep it in mind 😊
Reply 3
My advice would be to gain experience first. That is to find some sort of job in healthcare to start with and slowly work your way up to working in a "mental health" ward. With no experience, masters are fairly useless. Working as a healthcare assistant would be a good start. If you really want to do a MSc make sure it includes a clinical placement relevant to the profession of a clinical psychology, this is crucial.
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by turniptop
Hi 😊

Thank you!

Hi! For clinical, the most relevant thing for your application is getting clinical experience. However, if you are interested in the cognitive neuroscience masters then you should go for it! Knowledge in a relevant field will definitely be helpful. Additionally, since clinical is quite a competitive field, it could also provide a useful backup plan should you want/need to pursue something else.
Good luck in the future!
-Kat (2nd year psychology student at Lancaster University)
Reply 5
I advise you first try to work with the service users before you decide whether applied psychology is for you. Starting an MSc is a massive commitment, financial and personal. Clinical psychology is extremely competitive so you will need determination, a long-term plan, and certainly a lot of grit. Mostly, you need to know what you want and what you don't. So think hard before you start an MSc. Cognitive Neuroscience is essentially an academic interdisciplinary subject, which is mostly applied in clinical and academic research.
(edited 2 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest