The Student Room Group

Philosophy or Politics A-level?

Hello! I'm currently a Year 11 student choosing my A-level subjects. I would like to do HSPS or law in uni and am wondering if I should pick philosophy or politics depending on which one would best prepare me for my uni major. For context, I am not British. Will that hinder my ability to do well in the politics A-levels? Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by valeriechan
Hello! I'm currently a Year 11 student choosing my A-level subjects. I would like to do HSPS or law in uni and am wondering if I should pick philosophy or politics depending on which one would best prepare me for my uni major. For context, I am not British. Will that hinder my ability to do well in the politics A-levels? Thanks!

Both are great subjects, and as law isn’t subject specific make sure you do the one you most enjoy!
I take Politics, and have found it really fun and great for having some insight into legislation and some aspects of the legal system. You don’t need to be British to take either, and it won’t inhibit your results in the classes - half of the course is international politics anyways, so it can help with that aspect of the course.
If you prefer philosophy though, it may be better to have a look into that. Some of my friends take the subject and enjoy it a lot.
It’s really whichever subject you think you would flourish in the most.
Original post by valeriechan

As far as I know, neither degree subjects require specific A Levels. They do generally prefer essay based subjects so either philosophy or politics is more than adequate. See the following entry requirements for HSPS:
https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/human-social-and-political-sciences
Law is taught in a number of universities, but HSPS specifically is only taught at Cambridge. You can get degrees similar to HSPS in political sciences, sociology, and psychology as joint subjects though.

Beyond that, I think it comes down to whether you would like the subject that you're studying and whether you can get the grades that you need for the specific degree that you want to apply for.

From my understanding of politics A Level (not that I studied the subject, nor that I would ever want to), they assume you have zero knowledge of the topic from the start, so you're in safe hands if you work hard and keep up with the workload. I personally don't think your nationality would have any hindrance on how well you do in politics, but I might not be the best person to make that judgement call.

Quick Reply

Latest