The Student Room Group

PGCE Applications 2016

Scroll to see replies

I have an interview at UCL next week but my mind is totally blank when it comes to my presentation.

'You will be required to deliver a short presentation drawing on a powerful, effective learning experience you have encountered, either as a child, or a student, in the work place or in your personal life...'

Can anyone help me shed some light on this subject?
Original post by awkwardusername
Is anybody else doing Primary PGCE at Durham next year?

I got offered a place for secondary.
Original post by showen1
I have an interview at UCL next week but my mind is totally blank when it comes to my presentation.

'You will be required to deliver a short presentation drawing on a powerful, effective learning experience you have encountered, either as a child, or a student, in the work place or in your personal life...'

What age/subject are you applying for? Have you seen any examples of good teaching/learning in any of your classroom experience or elsewhere?

It is a pretty convoluted question!
Original post by showen1

Do whatever you like - most people spoke about their work experience or something they did at school. I did something quite random but was told I 'took a risk that paid off', so they seem to be expecting you to talk about your school experience or an experience you have working/volunteering in a school.
Has anyone else had to create a 5 minute lesson for an interview?

I know what I'm doing with it but it just seems a little dry. I'm not sure what I could do in 5 minutes that's kind of fun though.
Original post by Aemiliana

I know what I'm doing with it but it just seems a little dry. I'm not sure what I could do in 5 minutes that's kind of fun though.

I did yeah... not an easy task
Original post by Lambert87
I did yeah... not an easy task

It's really not! I'm trying to cover some grammar that's used in the second half of a story I've got to use and let's face it, grammar is boring! I was maybe thinking role play but that would take too long. I might just make them do some silly sentences instead.

How did yours go?
It's really not! I'm trying to cover some grammar that's used in the second half of a story I've got to use and let's face it, grammar is boring! I was maybe thinking role play but that would take too long. I might just make them do some silly sentences instead.

How did yours go?

Not too bad actually... I did a mini Chemistry experiment using a chemistry kit I have at home! I explained about reactions then turned a clear substance into intense blue then intense red :smile:

ML I couldn't do though?? What will you do? Any ideas?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by 365gapyear
I applied to uwe and bath spa!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Awesome!! have you had any interviews yet? :smile:
Original post by ChancedTravels
Do whatever you like - most people spoke about their work experience or something they did at school. I did something quite random but was told I 'took a risk that paid off', so they seem to be expecting you to talk about your school experience or an experience you have working/volunteering in a school.

So they'd rather you talk about your experience working in a school rather than your experience learning in a school?
Original post by Lambert87
Not too bad actually... I did a mini Chemistry experiment using a chemistry kit I have at home! I explained about reactions then turned a clear substance into intense blue then intense red :smile:

ML I couldn't do though?? What will you do? Any ideas?

That does sound interesting!

I've got a bit of a silly sentence for them to identify a grammar point in but the handouts look so boring. They look better with clip art but honestly I don't know if that's a good idea either. Plus trying to find clip art of a famous historical figure dancing is hard!
Original post by showen1
So they'd rather you talk about your experience working in a school rather than your experience learning in a school?

No, either is fine - what I mean is most people talked about something related to their experience of being a student or of work experience in a school.
Reply 1992
Does anyone know any information about how full the Primary PGCE courses are? Has it reached 90% yet?

I have to teach a 20-30 minute lesson for my SCITT interview on Tuesday.

If you can, I'd go for a game.
Original post by JaneBaratheon
I have to teach a 20-30 minute lesson for my SCITT interview on Tuesday.

If you can, I'd go for a game.

It's for 14-15 year olds and I have to introduce the text and explain the grammar so I don't think I have enough time for a game unfortunately.

I have done some mutliple choice quiz questions though.

Good luck for Tuesday!
Hi again,

I passed my Skills Tests yesterday, yay :smile:
And I've accepted the SCITT offer I got a few days ago, double yay :biggrin: I'm soooo glad it's over now ...
Original post by *tango*
Hi again,

I passed my Skills Tests yesterday, yay :smile:
And I've accepted the SCITT offer I got a few days ago, double yay :biggrin: I'm soooo glad it's over now ...

Yay! Well done!
Yay! Well done!

Thank you.

When is your next interview?
Original post by *tango*
Thank you.

When is your next interview?

Thursday - they only told me Friday evening and it's the hardest looking of the 3 so I feel like I've got to work really hard these next few days.
Thursday - they only told me Friday evening and it's the hardest looking of the 3 so I feel like I've got to work really hard these next few days.

Is this your Cambridge interview??? Well done, girl :smile: and good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending