The Student Room Group

PGCE Applications 2016

Scroll to see replies

Are any of you guys bringing in anything to show at your interviews? I wasn't planning on it but after looking at interviews at my uni in past years, people say that there's an opportunity to talk through a portfolio or something. Not sure what that would consist of exactly, but also don't want to miss an opportunity to show off slightly! :tongue:
I'm thinking like pictures of displays, examples of work etc, perhaps lesson plans?
Original post by Lambert87
Hey all,

I have bought a yearly subscription to the TES magazine... I appreciate not everyone can afford this, so I am more than willing to download them and share?

Let me know if you want it?

I'd like it if you don't mind?
My interview pack came through yesterday for one of my choices.

All the info and stuff I need is pretty much covered, just need to revise, research and prepare!!!
Original post by kizzz!
Are any of you guys bringing in anything to show at your interviews? I wasn't planning on it but after looking at interviews at my uni in past years, people say that there's an opportunity to talk through a portfolio or something. Not sure what that would consist of exactly, but also don't want to miss an opportunity to show off slightly! :tongue:
I'm thinking like pictures of displays, examples of work etc, perhaps lesson plans?

I was thinking this but thinking more along the lines of GCSE certificates etc lol. I wasn't thinking of taking a portfolio or anything as I assumed they'd tell us if that was necessary?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was just wondering what would happen if an interview didn't go that great but you had extensive work experience. Do you think you'd be rejected just from your performance at the interview??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Simplysweet01
I was just wondering what would happen if an interview didn't go that great but you had extensive work experience. Do you think you'd be rejected just from your performance at the interview??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Probably yes, they won't have seen you at the work experience so can't judge on that
Probably yes, they won't have seen you at the work experience so can't judge on that

That's a fair point. I'm just worried about messing up in the interview!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I had my first interview on Saturday and found out I was rejected within hours, even though I felt the interview went quite well.

I've now completely lost my confidence for my remaining interviews this Wednesday and Thursday, and to make matters worse, I still haven't been sent my information pack for my interview on Wednesday! I'm not going to be prepared if I have to do a presentation etc. :frown:
Original post by emilyyou
I had my first interview on Saturday and found out I was rejected within hours, even though I felt the interview went quite well.

I've now completely lost my confidence for my remaining interviews this Wednesday and Thursday, and to make matters worse, I still haven't been sent my information pack for my interview on Wednesday! I'm not going to be prepared if I have to do a presentation etc. :frown:

Don't be disheartened, although I know how it must feel.. Did you receive any feedback as to why?

What subject are you applying for?
Don't be disheartened, although I know how it must feel.. Did you receive any feedback as to why?

What subject are you applying for?

I was applying for an early years PGCE! Well actually, this one was a PGDE and they said the emphasis was more on essay writing and that it was a lot more work because it was a full masters degree. I feel like it was my written task which let me down as all the other aspects of the interview went quite well, I felt they did anyway. I suppose I'll just have to give the remaining two interviews my all and if it doesn't happen this year, I'll try again next year.
Original post by emilyyou
I was applying for an early years PGCE! Well actually, this one was a PGDE and they said the emphasis was more on essay writing and that it was a lot more work because it was a full masters degree. I feel like it was my written task which let me down as all the other aspects of the interview went quite well, I felt they did anyway. I suppose I'll just have to give the remaining two interviews my all and if it doesn't happen this year, I'll try again next year.

Competitive subject to get into... Nothing more I can say apart from I wish you all the best and don't let your confidence be hit
Just got a conditional offer from Sussex! That was quick!

(I'm so happy :h:)
Original post by goldfishgirl
They gave us a tour of the department and a mini introduction to the course before interviewing. For the interview you had to prepare a small presentation in advance based off something from the curriculum, I was really nervous for that but it went fine in the end. Then they asked me some questions based off my personal statement and presentation, as well as some "what would you do in this situation" questions relating to teaching. It went quite quickly and wasn't too nerve-wracking.

I think I'm just a really slow writer and since you can't use a calculator in the timed bit (apparently) that might put me at a disadvantage. Is the pass mark 61% then? I keep hearing so many different ones!

First of all congratulations on the offer!

Secondly, I'm not sure I replied to this?

The pass mark is 63% so you're really close. The first 12 questions don't have a calculator and are timed. The other 16 do have a calculator and aren't individually timed.

Did they make you sit a Latin test (I know KCL and Cambridge)?

Best of luck with any other interviews! (Unless you're turning them down for Sussex haha).
Original post by Aemiliana
First of all congratulations on the offer!

Secondly, I'm not sure I replied to this?

The pass mark is 63% so you're really close. The first 12 questions don't have a calculator and are timed. The other 16 do have a calculator and aren't individually timed.

Did they make you sit a Latin test (I know KCL and Cambridge)?

Best of luck with any other interviews! (Unless you're turning them down for Sussex haha).

Thanks!

Ah right, thanks for the clarification!

Not at Sussex they didn't. I don't think the course is as geared much towards language as KCL and Cambridge (but I remember them saying they have Latin catchup sessions during the PGCE if you think you need to improve).

I have a KCL interview a week on Tuesday, which is my first choice, but I loved Sussex when I went so would still be happy to go there. Heard nothing back from my School Direct application yet...
Original post by goldfishgirl
Just got a conditional offer from Sussex! That was quick!

(I'm so happy :h:)

Amazing... well done:smile: x
Reply 1315
2nd interview been offered..... god damn this is scary.... it's all so real. It feels like it should still be ages away that we're at this stage.....
References done, the application paid for and submitted .... :danceboy:
So I've got two interviews lined up. I applied for PGCE at UoN and two SD which are both run by Trent. I've got an interview for my PGCE at UoN and one at Trent for a SD but track hasn't updated to tell me which the latter is for.
Is it likely that I'll have one interivew at Trent for both SD before the interview at the schools themselves? I'm really confused because I recieved the offer early last week and track STILL isn't showing up any changes.
Original post by fabuloussam_
So I've got two interviews lined up. I applied for PGCE at UoN and two SD which are both run by Trent. I've got an interview for my PGCE at UoN and one at Trent for a SD but track hasn't updated to tell me which the latter is for.
Is it likely that I'll have one interivew at Trent for both SD before the interview at the schools themselves? I'm really confused because I recieved the offer early last week and track STILL isn't showing up any changes.

It's likely. It could be that once you've passed the uni interview, they'll pass on your details to the two schools who will then choose whether to invite you to a further interview. Considering both your SD's are with the same uni, that might be what's happening. You could email or ring them to check?
Reply 1319
Original post by fabuloussam_

I received an invitation to interview for one of mine through email, and that has not come up on Track. I'm assuming we shouldn't worry about it, because I have too much else to worry about and I don't want to.

I have a weird one as well with mine - 2 of them, in different counties, appear to be run by the same lady, so I'm a touch confused about all of that.... luckily Track tells me which SD programme has invited me for interview for that one though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending