The Student Room Group

A-levels for Medicine?

Hi

I am doing the following A-levels (starting this year):

Chemistry
Biology
Maths
Computer Science.

I have chosen these options because I thought that if I do not achieve my grades in medicine I can pursue a career in Computer Science as I am really good with comnputers.

However recently I have come across some advice which has made me think to change Computer Science or Maths for Psychology if I want to pursue a career in medicine.

Are my current A-levels fine, would changing my A-levels give me a better chance to get into Medicine School? Is there any point changing?
Your alevels are great, and tbh medical schools don't look at anything other than having bio/Chem to A2.

Maths and computer science are both good options!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
These seem really good options already :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Saywhatyoumean
Your alevels are great, and tbh medical schools don't look at anything other than having bio/Chem to A2.

Maths and computer science are both good options!

Posted from TSR Mobile

So people studying psychology are not at any advantage when compared to my A-levels
Reply 4
Original post by Usaamah
So people studying psychology are not at any advantage when compared to my A-levels

I believe universities respect Maths more than Psychology
Original post by Usaamah
Hi

I am doing the following A-levels (starting this year):

Chemistry
Biology
Maths
Computer Science.

I have chosen these options because I thought that if I do not achieve my grades in medicine I can pursue a career in Computer Science as I am really good with comnputers.

However recently I have come across some advice which has made me think to change Computer Science or Maths for Psychology if I want to pursue a career in medicine.

Are my current A-levels fine, would changing my A-levels give me a better chance to get into Medicine School? Is there any point changing?

I'm about to go into my first year of Medical School, and I can tell you that Maths will be much more respected than Psychology by the majority of Medical Schools. (A few accept Psychology as a science but most do not, and most Medical Schools prefer applicants with three science subjects to AS and at least two to A2 alongside another subject). However, Psychology is a very interesting subject and if you're interested in Psychiatry within Medicine you could always swap the Computer Science for Psychology. (You don't need to study Computer Science A level to do a Computer Science degree).

Quick Reply

Latest