The Student Room Group

Question for those who took further maths A level

Hey all, I'm going into sixth form very soon and I'm still not sure whether I want to take FM as an A level.

How much effort is needed to comprehend it all, compared to regular maths? Because I've looked at past papers for both subjects, and with regular maths, even if I don't understand how to SOLVE the questions, I can at least understand what it's asking for, i.e. I know what integration is and what it does, even though if you gave me a function and asked me to integrate it I'd be stumped (there are of course a few things that I have no clue what they are).

But with FM papers, it just looks like a load of jargon. Eigenvectors, directrices, scalar parameters, Cartesian equations... !!!???

I did get A*s in both Maths and Further Maths at GCSE, and with practically no effort at all (and yes, I'm aware that I won't be able to get away with that at A level), so I feel like I should be okay as long as I don't **** around... But then people do warn so often that GCSE results aren't a great indicator of how well you'll do at A level.

So I guess what I'm asking is, is there anyone that also aced maths at GCSE and took FM who can enlighten me as to how much time, effort and hard work is needed to get up to scratch in FM? I do love maths, in fact I'd consider it a passion. I just don't want to be having to spend every waking moment learning about it just so I simply don't drag behind.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by someguy7
Hey all, I'm going into sixth form very soon and I'm still not sure whether I want to take FM as an A level.

How much effort is needed to comprehend it all, compared to regular maths? Because I've looked at past papers for both subjects, and with regular maths, even if I don't understand how to SOLVE the questions, I can at least understand what it's asking for, i.e. I know what integration is and what it does, even though if you gave me a function and asked me to integrate it I'd be stumped (there are of course a few things that I have no clue what they are).

But with FM papers, it just looks like a load of jargon. Eigenvectors, directrices, scalar parameters, Cartesian equations... !!!???

I did get A*s in both Maths and Further Maths at GCSE, and with practically no effort at all (and yes, I'm aware that I won't be able to get away with that at A level), so I feel like I should be okay as long as I don't **** around... But then people do warn so often that GCSE results aren't a great indicator of how well you'll do at A level.

So I guess what I'm asking is, is there anyone that also aced maths at GCSE and took FM who can enlighten me as to how much time, effort and hard work is needed to get up to scratch in FM? I do love maths, in fact I'd consider it a passion. I just don't want to be having to spend every waking moment learning about it just so I simply don't drag behind.

Further maths is a must if you are to do mathematics, physics, engineering in a good University and desirable if you do economics.

For all other courses it may be better to spread your A level a bit and not to FM
Reply 2
Original post by TeeEm
Further maths is a must if you are to do mathematics, physics, engineering in a good University and desirable if you do economics.

For all other courses it may be better to spread your A level a bit and not to FM

It isnt a must but it does make your application stronger, I have plenty of friends who got into RG unis for engineering without doing further maths

I myself did further maths till AS and enjoyed it but it is a lot harder than normal maths so would suggesting only doing it if you enjoy maths ALOT
Reply 3
Original post by chem@uni
It isnt a must but it does make your application stronger, I have plenty of friends who got into RG unis for engineering without doing further maths

I myself did further maths till AS and enjoyed it but it is a lot harder than normal maths so would suggesting only doing it if you enjoy maths ALOT

I said a good University you said RG
(we clearly have different standards)
Reply 4
Original post by TeeEm
I said a good University you said RG
(we clearly have different standards)

What do you consider a good uni?

Considering 9/10 of the top unis for maths on the complete uni league table are RG cant wait for you to tell me why RG unis arent good?
Reply 5
What do you consider a good uni?

Considering 9/10 of the top unis for maths on the complete uni league table are RG cant wait for you to tell me why RG unis arent good?

I really am to busy to enter an educational debate but I would consider good Cambridge/Oxford/Imperial etc

I hardly going to call Queen Mary a reputable university.

Opinions vary ...
Reply 6
Original post by TeeEm
I really am to busy to enter an educational debate but I would consider good Cambridge/Oxford/Imperial etc

I hardly going to call Queen Mary a reputable university.

Opinions vary ...

What would you say are the top 5 unis for science in the country then?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by someguy7

As TeeEm as quite rightly said if you plan on pursuing a degree heavily related to maths it will be beneficial to do FMaths with Maths as a lot fo the things you learn will make your first year at uni a lot easier as you will learn them again. However if you're unsure of what you want to do or you're not doing Maths at university then I will suggest not doing FMaths as it is a little harder than Maths, if you enjoy Maths then it gives you a better appreciation for mathematical principles.

Personally I got an A at GCSE Maths and got 99% at AS-Level maths, I like yourself did not try at GCSE, although I did put in the effort at AS-Level. I ended up getting over 90% in A-Level maths but only getting an A overall as I messed up my c4 exam. I picked up AS FMaths due to my high AS Maths score at A2 and as I didnt really need it but found it interesting. Lack of time to properly study for the exams meant that I ended up getting a B at AS-Level FMaths.

I wouldnt put myself under unnecessary pressure if I were you although doing fmaths will significantly increase your mathematical skills and you will have a greater chance at the A*/A in Maths as you do more Maths.
Reply 8
What would you say are the top 5 unis in the country then?

Personal opinion
Careful in what I am saying ... this is reputation in UK and abroad in other words "branding"

TOP 4
Cambridge, Oxford, Imperial, UCL
(Chelsea, ManU, Arsenal, ManC not necessarily in that order)

EUROPA LEAGUE
Warwick, LSE, Durham, Bristol
(Spurs, Liverpool, and let's say Everton and Newcastle as I cannot think of other teams not as good Spurs and liverpool)

and the rest of the RG forms the premier league ...
(edited 8 years ago)
I do a Chemistry degree and studied Further Maths at A-Level. It was by far the most difficult of my A2s (Biology, Chemistry, Maths the other 3) - but I absolutely loved the challenge. I found the A2 exams were horrible and the material was incredibly difficult but the sense of accomplishment you get is great.
A chemistry degree has a lot of standard maths (differentiating, exponentials, algebra, problem solving) but I haven't really used my FM at uni apart from in Quantum and Theoretical Chemistry. It does however help in my problem solving and not giving up.
I worked hard at it despite not being the most naturally able and scraped an A (which I hold of much higher value that my A* in Chemistry).
If you want the challenge and a really respected A-Level, and importantly enjoy maths, then do it! Definitely try it at AS and then determine from there if you want to carry it on to A2.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by TeeEm
X

Warick isn't that reputable, its overatted. Kings is more known than Warwick
Even Manchester is more reputable than Warwick

& hereI am turning down an Imperial offer for Medicine to study Medicine at Manchester
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Hudl

& here is me turning down an Imperial offer for Medicine to study Medicine at Manchester

I share the same opinion about Warwick

(and I do not want to say anything else in this matter as in this Maths forum most users love Warwick and usually I get tons of "abuse")
Reply 12
Further Maths can be quite a bit trickier to comprehend, but if you're conceptually comfortable with C4 integration you can probably stretch to understanding further pure concepts. A lot of it is complex to actually consider from first principles but ends up being a matter of repetition like most maths a level questions, so even though you're dealing with more difficult concepts you aren't really forced to think about them that much. Nevertheless to ensure a high grade you'll want to try to understand a bit more as they're making papers harder nowadays. Stats never really gets harder, Decision is easy from what I've heard; however M3 and upwards are also very tricky and require thought (well I've only tried M3 but that was bad enough for me)

Original post by Hudl

& hereI am turning down an Imperial offer for Medicine to study Medicine at Manchester

Warwick isn't particularly reputable internationally certainly but its maths and economics courses at least are highly regarded in Britain (and certain ranking methodology has placed these courses very highly even on an international scale). I'll admit that for most subjects it is, as far as I can gather, a fairly normal RG uni and its age is a hindrance in reputation terms. Perhaps some people overrate Warwick on the whole because of a couple of very good departments.
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Further Maths can be quite a bit trickier to comprehend, but if you're conceptually comfortable with C4 integration you can probably stretch to understanding further pure concepts. A lot of it is complex to actually consider from first principles but ends up being a matter of repetition like most maths a level questions, so even though you're dealing with more difficult concepts you aren't really forced to think about them that much. Nevertheless to ensure a high grade you'll want to try to understand a bit more as they're making papers harder nowadays. Stats never really gets harder, Decision is easy from what I've heard; however M3 and upwards are also very tricky and require thought (well I've only tried M3 but that was bad enough for me)

Warwick isn't particularly reputable internationally certainly but its maths and economics courses at least are highly regarded in Britain (and certain ranking methodology has placed these courses very highly even on an international scale). I'll admit that for most subjects it is, as far as I can gather, a fairly normal RG uni and its age is a hindrance in reputation terms. Perhaps some people overrate Warwick on the whole because of a couple of very good departments.

What would you say were top 5 for sciences? Uni wise
Reply 14

1. Cambridge
2. Oxford
3. Imperial

then there is a gap

4. UCL
5. LSE/Warwick/ I would say kings but they're dropping
Reply 15

It probably depends on the science; I never really looked too into anything but physics so can't give much advice.

Oxbridge, Imperial, Manchester (excellent Physics department, not sure about other sciences), Bristol, probably UCL...as I said I'm not too knowledgeable here
Original post by Hudl
1. Cambridge
2. Oxford
3. Imperial

then there is a gap

4. UCL
5. LSE/Warwick/ I would say kings but they're dropping

Opinions on durham? Specifically for chemistry

Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
It probably depends on the science; I never really looked too into anything but physics so can't give much advice.

Oxbridge, Imperial, Manchester (excellent Physics department, not sure about other sciences), Bristol, probably UCL...as I said I'm not too knowledgeable here
Original post by TeeEm
Personal opinion
Careful in what I am saying ... this is reputation in UK and abroad in other words "branding"

TOP 4
Cambridge, Oxford, Imperial, UCL
(Chelsea, ManU, Arsenal, ManC not necessarily in that order)

EUROPA LEAGUE
Warwick, LSE, Durham, Bristol
(Spurs, Liverpool, and let's say Everton and Newcastle as I cannot think of other teams not as good Spurs and liverpool)

and the rest of the RG forms the premier league ...

That analgoy though.

Man United are certainly not = to oxford, if we can even model that!

Furthermore Phil Jones is not even oxbridge material...
Reply 18
Original post by Moordland
That analgoy though.

Man United are certainly not = to oxford, if we can even model that!

Furthermore Phil Jones is not even oxbridge material...

the order I did say is not respective ... i.e. Cambridge is not necessarily Chelsea
Original post by TeeEm
the order I did say is not respective ... i.e. Cambridge is not necessarily Chelsea

Cambridge seem more like Barcelona with lse/imperal = madrid and oxford = bayern

:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest