The Student Room Group

New A-Level Linear Structure??

Hi, i am starting Sixth Form This September and i have been told that all Exams have been moved to the end of the course, AS and A2 will be done at the end of year 13? Can someone pls confirm if this is true because I'm really confused right now :frown:
Yes, I'm told this is the case. Although some of my friends apparently say that this method is much better.
Original post by Steezi
Hi, i am starting Sixth Form This September and i have been told that all Exams have been moved to the end of the course, AS and A2 will be done at the end of year 13? Can someone pls confirm if this is true because I'm really confused right now :frown:

Assuming you are studying in England, It's not that you'll take AS and A2 exams at the end of two years but rather the two years of a level study will be tested in one set of exams at the end of the course. Separate AS exams will still exist but taking them is optional and the marks you get don't count towards the final A level result.
Whether you are affected depends on your subjects, they change at different times.
The changes are explained here

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/get-the-facts-gcse-and-a-level-reform/get-the-facts-as-and-a-level-reform

https://www.ucas.com/sites/default/files/ucas-guide-to-qualification-reform.pdf

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Thanks guys that was really helpful :smile:
Original post by Steezi

Actually, that's not quite true! :redface: As I found out today.

Basically, AS is no longer a part of A levels, it's now a seperate qualification. This is good, because, for example, you only take three exams for biology, chemistry and physics, rather than the 6 beforehand (including the CA and coursework - there were only 4 written exams before this year). You can still take AS levels next year but they won't contribute to A levels so most schools are just leaving them out completely and just teaching children content for A levels now.
Original post by neil20143
Actually, that's not quite true! :redface: As I found out today.

Basically, AS is no longer a part of A levels, it's now a seperate qualification. This is good, because, for example, you only take three exams for biology, chemistry and physics, rather than the 6 beforehand (including the CA and coursework - there were only 4 written exams before this year). You can still take AS levels next year but they won't contribute to A levels so most schools are just leaving them out completely and just teaching children content for A levels now.

so is the new a levels easier as there are only 3 exams and is there more content or less?
Original post by youreanutter
so is the new a levels easier as there are only 3 exams and is there more content or less?

the content of reformed A levels is supposed to be a bit more challenging

taking exams at the end of two years with no modular retake opportunities is likely to benefit people who can cram in lots of information in revision, it won't suit everyone
Original post by youreanutter

Technically, we are taking one more exam at the end of the two-years and the content is more challenging and packed up.
Hi Guys. I'm having a panic about the new linear A Levels and made a separate post about it - any change you could take a look?
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4052849

Quick Reply

Latest