The Student Room Group

Biology question

Hi, please could someone help me with this question. I understand why the answer is D but I don’t get why it can’t be A? Thanks!
https://app.gemoo.com/share/image-annotation/581894617522798592?codeId=MpE667Zrgg8dx&origin=imageurlgenerator
(edited 5 months ago)
Tough question, really. But at the end I think that it is D:

- A can't be, because the molecule of DNA in the chromatids is coiled, not linear

- B can be excluded, because the telomeres don't prevent loss of genes in cell divison. Their lengths at the ends of non-coding DNA restrict the divison. If they are too short, cell division stops.

- C is wrong, because the centromere contains DNA.
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Kallisto
Tough question, really. But at the end I think that it is D:

- A can't be, because the molecule of DNA in the chromatids is coiled, not linear

- B can be excluded, because the telomeres don't prevent loss of genes in cell divison. Their lengths at the ends of non-coding DNA restrict the divison. If they are too short, cell division stops.

- C is wrong, because the centromere contains DNA.

Thank you! I just have one question, don’t telomeres prevent loss of genes by preventing vital genes in the actual chromosomes being lost because after each cell division, some of the telomere is lost (I’m not sure but that’s what our teacher said?)
I thought it might not be B because it doesn’t really talk about chromosme structure?
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by anonymous294
Thank you! I just have one question, don’t telomeres prevent loss of genes by preventing vital genes in the actual chromosomes being lost because after each cell division, some of the telomere is lost (I’m not sure but that’s what our teacher said?)
I thought it might not be B because it doesn’t really talk about chromosme structure?

After what I have got, the function of the Telomeres is to protect the ends of the chromosomes to be recognised as damaged or infectioous DNA by repairing enzymes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending