The Student Room Group

Personal Statement Abbreviations??

In my drafts I have used loads of abbreviations - both to save space and as some are real mouthfuls:
EPQ (Extended Project)
BRIC
OECD
OPEC
IEA (Institute of Economic Affairs)
UMKT (Maths challenge)

Can you use them for Oxford/ Warwick etc. Statements?? Have I used way to many? Thanks
You will get rejected if you use Abbreviations most likely.
Always define an abbreviation (abbv). If you use an abbv without defining it then you'll probably get rejected. Never assume that the 50 year old dude who reads through personal statements knows all the terms that you teenagers use.

Only exception to this is if it's common knowledge. EPQ is the only term you use that I would consider to be common knowledge.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by _ALEA IACTA EST_
In my drafts I have used loads of abbreviations - both to save space and as some are real mouthfuls:
EPQ (Extended Project)
BRIC
OECD
OPEC
IEA (Institute of Economic Affairs)
UMKT (Maths challenge)

Can you use them for Oxford/ Warwick etc. Statements?? Have I used way to many? Thanks

That depends on how likely it is that the person reading it will understand the acronym. If it's an economics or geography personal statement then I'd have thought that the admissions tutor reading it would understand what BRIC, OECD, OPEC and probably IEA mean, so those would probably be fine. I wouldn't use EPQ and certainly not UKMT though, because the likelihood is lower that they wouldn't know what that stands for.

In my PS, I referred to the EPQ as "my Extended Project" and UKMT as "UKMT Maths Challenge".

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending