The Student Room Group

Abbreviations for a levels

I take aqa A level law and i have to write so fast (☹️) in my exams. Can i use & or + instead of 'and' as im really struggling with writing fast enough. Also if you are doing law, do you know if i can shorten actus reus and mens rea to AR + MR?
No
Original post by Yellowcatz
I take aqa A level law and i have to write so fast (☹️) in my exams. Can i use & or + instead of 'and' as im really struggling with writing fast enough. Also if you are doing law, do you know if i can shorten actus reus and mens rea to AR + MR?

Hi there

I am a law student at University, however I did not do it for A levels. In general though I think it is okay to write abbreviations, such as "&" (I did this for my A levels), unless your teacher has specifically told you not to.

What I normally do is write out the full version and then abbreviation in brackets where it is the first time I mention a word in the essay. For example: "Actus Reus (AR)", and afterwards I would just write "AR" throughout the remainder of the essay. I think this makes it easy for teachers to understand.

However, I would recommend double checking with your teacher, as they will be in the best position to answer your question. I hope this helps. :smile:

Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest