The Student Room Group

Are my As grades good enough for AAB unis?

I got:
Sociology- A
Psychology-A
Geography-C
Drama-D
I want to study geography at uni but am a bit concerned about getting in with a C in my chosen subject (I was only two UMS off a B), even though my teacher thinks I can get a B overall next year. Also with these As grades would I be able to get into universities such as Royal holloway or UEA which are asking for AAB/ABB?
Yeah there good enough , most colleges would predict you 1 grade above for your a2 , so A*A*B which is more than enough.
Yeah ^^ I got ABCD with the D in maths and that was the subject I needed- I got predicted ABC and got offers from all 5 of my choices which wanted AAB-ABB [one of them was royal holloway] ^^ so I'm sure you'll be fine :P
Original post by TSR Mustafa
Yeah there good enough , most colleges would predict you 1 grade above for your a2 , so A*A*B which is more than enough.

Maybe. The above post, while somewhat true, is a bit wrong. If your teacher thinks you can achieve a B grade in Geography next year, that's fine. However, most AAB unis will probably want your Geography grade to be an A. Can you remark for the extra 2 UMS?
Reply 4
http://search.ucas.com/course/entryrequirements/428155/geography?Feather=15&Vac=1&AvailableIn=2016&Query=Geography&MaxResults=1000&page=4&ret=providers#coursedetailsmenu

Above is the entry requirements for Royal Holloway for Geography, ABB is all they ask for it doesn't matter in what subjects.

It shouldn't be too hard for you to get the C in geography up to a B and as you already have 2 A's you just need to keep them up :smile:

Good luck :smile:
Instead of concentrating on your AS grades and obsessing about that, you need to look at the A2 grades that Unis want for the courses you are interested in.

The majority of RG Unis do not even look at your AS grades - they look for GCSE grades and A2 predictions - and a well-written, thought-out, PS.
Original post by TheGrammarGuru
Maybe. The above post, while somewhat true, is a bit wrong. If your teacher thinks you can achieve a B grade in Geography next year, that's fine. However, most AAB unis will probably want your Geography grade to be an A. Can you remark for the extra 2 UMS?

Smh i didnt even see the chunk of text fully , just the grades mostly.
Original post by sydneybridge
Instead of concentrating on your AS grades and obsessing about that, you need to look at the A2 grades that Unis want for the courses you are interested in.

The majority of RG Unis do not even look at your AS grades - they look for GCSE grades and A2 predictions - and a well-written, thought-out, PS.

when choosing unis with the predicted grades of ABB should I do this:
1.AAB uni
2.ABB(unsure whether I should aim for another ABB uni since im struggling to find ABB unis for psychology)
3.ABB
4.ABB
5.BBB

about grade ranges e.g. AAB- ABB what does the ABB mean in that instantance? The bare miniumum? I read somewhere that its for those from disadvantage backgrounds?
Original post by scrawlx101
Choices when choosing unis with the predicted grades of ......

The usual advice is :
1 or 2 just above your predicted grades (risky, but worth a shot)
2 or 3 at your predicted grades (safer, you should get offers)
At least 1 below your predicted grades.(essential as an insurance)

Lots more straightforward TSR advice on How to Avoid 5 Rejections here : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/How_to_Avoid_Getting_5_Rejections
Original post by ThatTeenGirl03
I got:
Sociology- A
Psychology-A
Geography-C
Drama-D
I want to study geography at uni but am a bit concerned about getting in with a C in my chosen subject (I was only two UMS off a B), even though my teacher thinks I can get a B overall next year. Also with these As grades would I be able to get into universities such as Royal holloway or UEA which are asking for AAB/ABB?

I'm in the same boat :frown: I got ABC at AS (7UMS total off AAB) and need ABB/BBB predictions for my dream course at my dream uni.
Original post by ThatTeenGirl03
I got:
Sociology- A
Psychology-A
Geography-C
Drama-D

Yeah definitely! I got abcc at AS and only applied to AAB universities and got all offers! (And that was for law which is competitive!) I did also get AAB in the end :smile: also, when you apply on UCAS you get the option to put your AS UMS scores so you could put your UMS scores for geography so the unis can see how close you were!
Original post by emiloujess
I'm in the same boat :frown: I got ABC at AS (7UMS total off AAB) and need ABB/BBB predictions for my dream course at my dream uni.

You'll get that ! I got the same AS grades as you and got AAB overall :smile:
Original post by lachachacha
You'll get that ! I got the same AS grades as you and got AAB overall :smile:

Thank you, this has helped a lot :smile: Did you go to uni after? May I ask which uni/course? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest