The Student Room Group

Can I change my UCAS choice after getting an offer? *less than 14 days after applying

Hi guys so basically I am in quite a tricky situation now. I am applying this year for Psychology and have 3A*s as predicted grades.

Today, I got an offer from Manchester Psychology for AAA. I originally wanted to have it as my "safe" choice but I realised that it's too risky. As I handed in my UCAS application less than 14 days ago, I was wondering if I can still change my choice from Manchester to St Andrew's (they have entry requirements of AAB) even though Manchester already gave me an offer.

Thanks!!!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by timtimtimtimt
Hi guys so basically I am in quite a tricky situation now. I am applying this year for Psychology and have 3A*s as predicted grades.

Today, I got an offer from Manchester Psychology for AAA. I originally wanted to have it as my "safe" choice but I realised that it's too risky. As I handed in my UCAS application less than 14 days ago, I was wondering if I can still change my choice from Manchester to St Andrew's (they have entry requirements of AAB) even though Manchester already gave me an offer.

Thanks!!!!

That is the standard offer so do not know why you were surprised!I would suggest you check all your other choices carefully on their uni websites before doing anything @PQ please advise.
You can still substitute a choice if they’ve made an offer within the 14 days.
In the past the option to substitute will not be available on the ucas hub though- you have to ring ucas up to do it.

Note though that although st As standard offer is lower their offer RATES are much lower too so there’s no guarantee of an offer. You might want to consider a none Scottish university with a lower standard offer instead.
(edited 6 months ago)
An AAA offer with A*A*A* predicted is too risky?
Reply 4
ahhh okay do you think St Andrews will actually give an offer above their AAB entry requirements? I am actually now thinking of keeping Manchester and maybe substituting one of my A*AA choices (bath) to St Andrews or another uni with a lower offer. Is this a risk that is good to take?
Original post by PQ
You can still substitute a choice if they’ve made an offer within the 14 days.
In the past the option to substitute will not be available on the ucas hub though- you have to ring ucas up to do it.

Note though that although st As standard offer is lower their offer RATES are much lower too so there’s no guarantee of an offer. You might want to consider a none Scottish university with a lower standard offer instead.
Reply 5
Original post by Scotney
That is the standard offer so do not know why you were surprised!I would suggest you check all your other choices carefully on their uni websites before doing anything @PQ please advise.

This is my fault lol I read the requirements for 2023 entry and thought with my subject combos i would get a lower offer,,,,
Reply 6
I also applied for another uni that I like more that requires AAA. So in the end, maybe I would have wasted the spot in Manchester when I could have went for a lower offer as my insurance?
Original post by Admit-One
An AAA offer with A*A*A* predicted is too risky?
I also applied for another uni that I like more that requires AAA. So in the end, maybe I would have wasted the spot in Manchester when I could have went for a lower offer as my insurance?

Yes, but why do you need an insurance choice four grades below your predictions? Any uni might have a little wiggle room on results day in any case.
Reply 8
I think this year's grade boundaries really rattled me haha. Do you think if I stick with what I have for now and wait til I get more offers, I can reject to one I like the least and apply through UCAS extras? Would that be a better option? (Though I fear that the unis I am applying for will not get back to me until march)
Yes, but why do you need an insurance choice four grades below your predictions? Any uni might have a little wiggle room on results day in any case.
I think this year's grade boundaries really rattled me haha. Do you think if I stick with what I have for now and wait til I get more offers, I can reject to one I like the least and apply through UCAS extras? Would that be a better option? (Though I fear that the unis I am applying for will not get back to me until march)

Personally I would stick with what you've got unless you're genuinely not happy with the course/uni.
Thank you so much for your replies. Also, do you think St Andrews will give an offer above their AAB entry requirements? If I substitute one of my A*AA choices (bath) for St Andrews or another uni with a lower offer, is this a risk that is good to take?
Personally I would stick with what you've got unless you're genuinely not happy with the course/uni.
Reply 11

No, as you can only use UCAS extras if you have been rejected by all of your choices, or you have received offers but rejected them all.
(edited 6 months ago)
Thank you so much for your replies. Also, do you think St Andrews will give an offer above their AAB entry requirements?

I can't speak for Scottih unis, but in general the typical offer requirements are the ones given to the vast majority of scuccesful applicants. They don't bump them up based on predictions.
If I substitute one of my A*AA choices (bath) for St Andrews or another uni with a lower offer, is this a risk that is good to take?

Not sure if you' have an offer from bath yet, (presuming not), but again I don't think you need an AAB offer.

If I had A*A*A* predictions (and assuming my preference for course+uni was identical in all cases) I don't think I would have any reservation about Firm and Insuring even two A*AA offers. Even if you ended up with AAA then either choice might still accept you, and even if neither did, you'd still probably have some good clearing options, (or take a gap year with AAA achieved, a great position to be in).
ohh I didn't know that, thanks for telling!
Original post by lalexm
No, as you can only use UCAS extras if you have been rejected by all of your choices, or you have received offers but rejected them all.
okkk that's great to know! I think I will definitely keep Manchester for now but think about Bath and St Andrews a bit longer. Perhaps I am thinking too much ahead but getting into clearing seems terrifying to me so I am trying to really reduce the chances of the happening.
I can't speak for Scottih unis, but in general the typical offer requirements are the ones given to the vast majority of scuccesful applicants. They don't bump them up based on predictions.

Not sure if you' have an offer from bath yet, (presuming not), but again I don't think you need an AAB offer.

If I had A*A*A* predictions (and assuming my preference for course+uni was identical in all cases) I don't think I would have any reservation about Firm and Insuring even two A*AA offers. Even if you ended up with AAA then either choice might still accept you, and even if neither did, you'd still probably have some good clearing options, (or take a gap year with AAA achieved, a great position to be in).
ahhh okay do you think St Andrews will actually give an offer above their AAB entry requirements? I am actually now thinking of keeping Manchester and maybe substituting one of my A*AA choices (bath) to St Andrews or another uni with a lower offer. Is this a risk that is good to take?

IF they make you an offer then it's likely to be at their standard requirements....but the IF is a lot larger for St As compared to English universities. They reject many more applicants than Manchester - 24% offer rate v 51% for Manchester
StAsofferrate.PNG
ManchesterOfferRate.PNG
(edited 6 months ago)
okkk that's great to know! I think I will definitely keep Manchester for now but think about Bath and St Andrews a bit longer. Perhaps I am thinking too much ahead but getting into clearing seems terrifying to me so I am trying to really reduce the chances of the happening.

Just a word of warning about St Andrews and Scottish universities, They tend to show minimum entry requirements which are not the offers they make. I have come across many on here who expected the minimum offer which is often several grades higher. This has happened to many on here over the years,
So this means they may be asking for A*AAs as well?
Original post by swanseajack1
Just a word of warning about St Andrews and Scottish universities, They tend to show minimum entry requirements which are not the offers they make. I have come across many on here who expected the minimum offer which is often several grades higher. This has happened to many on here over the years,

I dont know what they will offer only what has happened previously and the fact is you might not get an offer at all so it is very risky removing what you have. If you want a lower offer look at a slightly less competitive university

See what their standard requirement is not their minimum required grades.

And that's IF you're not one of the 75% of applicants who are rejected. Don't be fooled by low minimum entry grades into thinking they're an easy option
(edited 6 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending