The Student Room Group

should i apply late or apply later?

i missed the deadline but i'm applying anyway (actuarial science degree). i'm going to uni this year no matter what.

i got BBB for AS, my predicted results will remain at BBB until trials/mocks. i am confident that in my mocks i'll be able to get at least ABB. that's the only way my school will raise my predicted grades.

and so... should i apply now with BBB? or after my mocks which is approximately end of march with better predicted? my chosen unis require [AAB-ABB], [AAB-ABB], [ABB-BBB], [BBB-BBC], [BCC], so i am prepared.

i'm worried i'll be too late, but then if i apply now, i worry i won't be good enough... please give me advice 😔 or if anyone who applied late and got offers could share their experience, that'd be reassuring! thank you <3
I think you should apply as soon as you can. You have already missed the January deadline.
And you are in the range for trying for the aspirational grades, you never know, they might make a conditional offer. If any of those higher end grade courses are in clearing, you can 'trade up'.
But are the AAB and ABB courses really any better in terms of course content and location to the BBB courses?
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by kilmiya
i missed the deadline but i'm applying anyway (actuarial science degree). i'm going to uni this year no matter what.

i got BBB for AS, my predicted results will remain at BBB until trials/mocks. i am confident that in my mocks i'll be able to get at least ABB. that's the only way my school will raise my predicted grades.

and so... should i apply now with BBB? or after my mocks which is approximately end of march with better predicted? my chosen unis require [AAB-ABB], [AAB-ABB], [ABB-BBB], [BBB-BBC], [BCC], so i am prepared.

i'm worried i'll be too late, but then if i apply now, i worry i won't be good enough... please give me advice 😔 or if anyone who applied late and got offers could share their experience, that'd be reassuring! thank you <3

Most universities and, in fact, probably all at these grades will probably have the courses open so it would be worth applying early. What you could do is ring the universities to check they are still open before applying. If a university has a course open now it is likely to accept a dropped grade. If you dont reach it they can always reject you on results day anyway.

After checking the courses are open I would apply early. If you were unlucky enough (very unlikely) to get 5 rejections you could apply to another university through extra and you have clearing as a last resort
Reply 3
Original post by swanseajack1
Most universities and, in fact, probably all at these grades will probably have the courses open so it would be worth applying early. What you could do is ring the universities to check they are still open before applying. If a university has a course open now it is likely to accept a dropped grade. If you dont reach it they can always reject you on results day anyway.

After checking the courses are open I would apply early. If you were unlucky enough (very unlikely) to get 5 rejections you could apply to another university through extra and you have clearing as a last resort

thank you, i’ll do that!

in fact, swansea is my top choice. (assuming you go there) could you give your opinion on whether courses are generally full? if you know anything abt actuarial science in particular i’d really appreciate that :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by totallyfine
I think you should apply as soon as you can. You have already missed the January deadline.
And you are in the range for trying for the aspirational grades, you never know, they might make a conditional offer. If any of those higher end grade courses are in clearing, you can 'trade up'.
But are the AAB and ABB courses really any better in terms of course content and location to the BBB courses?

thank you, i’ve decided to just apply now! i’m an international student so the whole UCAS thing is foreign to me (my college didn’t help much).

in all honesty, no, i don’t really care which uni i get into, just actuarial science. so i chose the bottom 5 unis that offer the course. thanks mateee whoopdedoo
Original post by kilmiya
thank you, i’ll do that!

in fact, swansea is my top choice. (assuming you go there) could you give your opinion on whether courses are generally full? if you know anything abt actuarial science in particular i’d really appreciate that :smile:

I am from Swansea but not a student there. Most courses dont get filled and end up in clearing like nearly everywhere. The exceptions being Medical based subjects.

As far as Acturial science is concerned it a very new course Swansea have introduced in the past couple of years. It is part of the Mathematics department and is taught on the Bay Campus which opened in 2015. It is delivered in the new Computational foundry.

https://www.bing.com/videos/riverview/relatedvideo?&q=swansea+university+computational+foundry&&mid=C2743E2883C848306F62C2743E2883C848306F62&&FORM=VRDGAR

https://www.bing.com/videos/riverview/relatedvideo?&q=swansea+university+bay+campus&&mid=CB21797E1C664EB17774CB21797E1C664EB17774&&FORM=VRDGAR

Reply 6
Original post by swanseajack1
I am from Swansea but not a student there. Most courses dont get filled and end up in clearing like nearly everywhere. The exceptions being Medical based subjects.

As far as Acturial science is concerned it a very new course Swansea have introduced in the past couple of years. It is part of the Mathematics department and is taught on the Bay Campus which opened in 2015. It is delivered in the new Computational foundry.

https://www.bing.com/videos/riverview/relatedvideo?&q=swansea+university+computational+foundry&&mid=C2743E2883C848306F62C2743E2883C848306F62&&FORM=VRDGAR

https://www.bing.com/videos/riverview/relatedvideo?&q=swansea+university+bay+campus&&mid=CB21797E1C664EB17774CB21797E1C664EB17774&&FORM=VRDGAR

sincerely, thank you for the info!
Original post by kilmiya
sincerely, thank you for the info!

Here is a video from years ago showing the city. There has been many changes but it will give you an idea of what it is like. It isnt a huge city but very walkable. Each campus is about 2-3 miles outside the city about 5 miles apart

https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=29ab7d3b3f4e7087JmltdHM9MTcwNzc4MjQwMCZpZ3VpZD0zMmI5NDRlYy0wNzdlLTY0ZDctMGFmMS01MGYwMDY5ZTY1YmEmaW5zaWQ9NTI1MQ&ptn=3&ver=2&hsh=3&fclid=32b944ec-077e-64d7-0af1-50f0069e65ba&psq=student+videos+of+swansea+city&u=a1aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cueW91dHViZS5jb20vd2F0Y2g_dj1oRHloeTcwRlVZNA&ntb=1
Reply 8
Original post by kilmiya
Don't worry too much about your grades if you're an international student. I received conditional offers from Leeds, Kent, Essex, City University of London, and Queen's University Belfast with CCD as my AS grade. Leeds and Kent even offered me one grade below their usual entry requirement eventhough I am not eligible for their contextual offer. Just apply first quickly but make sure don't choose all your unis with AAA as entry requirements.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending