The Student Room Group

Could i get into oxbridge (law)?

I'm taking english lit, history and sociology (might change to psychology), my gcse's were: 2A*s, 5As and 3Bs? Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
with lots of hard work, who knows?
Reply 2
Original post by amachine
with lots of hard work, who knows?

would this be typical of a student there though?
Reply 3
Original post by lot1313
I'm taking english lit, history and sociology (might change to psychology), my gcse's were: 2A*s, 5As and 3Bs? Thanks

Oxford? Probably not
Cambridge? Maybe, but you need to drop sociology, what subjects could you take besides psych? Also you need very high UMS on your AS-levels
Reply 4
Original post by lot1313

just think everyone there will have at least few stars next to their grades
Reply 5
Original post by Summit
Oxford? Probably not
Cambridge? Maybe, but you need to drop sociology, what subjects could you take besides psych? Also you need very high UMS on your AS-levels

what would you recommend, i got B's in my GCSE sciences, and I'm not strong at MFL
Reply 6
Original post by lot1313
what would you recommend, i got B's in my GCSE sciences, and I'm not strong at MFL

What were your A*s and As in?
Agree with Summit (although think you might be okay with Psych).. Oxford is pretty much out of reach but Cambridge is possible with very high UMS and good interview.
Reply 8
Original post by Summit
What were your A*s and As in?

I'll just tell you my results:

B-Maths
B-Science Core
B-Science Add
A-History
A-English Lit
A-Spanish
A-Media Studies
A-Res Mat
A*-English Lang
A*-RE
Reply 9
Original post by lot1313
I'll just tell you my results:

B-Maths
B-Science Core
B-Science Add
A-History
A-English Lit
A-Spanish
A-Media Studies
A-Res Mat
A*-English Lang
A*-RE

Personally, I'd give Spanish a shot. English Lit, History and Spanish would be a very strong combination. What is your fourth AS?
Reply 10
Original post by ThePakistani
Agree with Summit (although think you might be okay with Psych).. Oxford is pretty much out of reach but Cambridge is possible with very high UMS and good interview.

Just curious, not going against you or anything, but why would Oxford be out of reach?
Reply 11
Original post by Summit
Personally, I'd give Spanish a shot. English Lit, History and Spanish would be a very strong combination. What is your fourth AS?

The thing with Spanish is I don't even know how I got that A besides the fact that my CAs were quite strong, so what else would you recommend?
And my college is taking on the new A Level scheme so most students only do 3 A Levels, no AS',you only do 4 A Levels if you get lots of A*s at GCSE
Original post by lot1313
Just curious, not going against you or anything, but why would Oxford be out of reach?

Because Oxford look at GCSEs massively (along with their entry tests) and OPs GCSEs are (sorry to say) much weaker than the standard Oxford applicants. Cambridge, however, concentrate a lot more on UMS so if you can demonstrate a significant improvement from GCSE to A level then I imagine you'll at least be given a decent shot at interview at which point you have every chance really!
Reply 13
Original post by lot1313

Oxford is GCSE heavy, they expect multiple A*s. However Cambridge is UMS heavy.
Reply 14
Original post by ThePakistani
Because Oxford look at GCSEs massively (along with their entry tests) and OPs GCSEs are (sorry to say) much weaker than the standard Oxford applicants. Cambridge, however, concentrate a lot more on UMS so if you can demonstrate a significant improvement from GCSE to A level then I imagine you'll at least be given a decent shot at interview at which point you have every chance really!

Okay thanks
Reply 15
Original post by lot1313
The thing with Spanish is I don't even know how I got that A besides the fact that my CAs were quite strong, so what else would you recommend?
And my college is taking on the new A Level scheme so most students only do 3 A Levels, no AS',you only do 4 A Levels if you get lots of A*s at GCSE

I completely forgot about the new scheme. Oh well, I am an IB alumnus haha. Anyway I would recommend one of the following:
-Economics
-Biology
-Chemistry
-Physics
-Geography
-Maths

But knowing you do not seem too keen to do any science, I would restrict my options to Economics or Geography.

Anyway, GCSE/IGCSE languages are weird. I thought I completely flopped my IGCSE french listening and writing, but I somehow got an A* (WTF). Anyway if you achieved an A, I am confident you have what it takes to do well, if you are willing to put in the effort necessary.
Reply 16
Original post by Summit
I completely forgot about the new scheme. Oh well, I am an IB alumnus haha. Anyway I would recommend one of the following:
-Economics
-Biology
-Chemistry
-Physics
-Geography
-Maths

But knowing you do not seem too keen to do any science, I would restrict my options to Economics or Geography.

Anyway, GCSE/IGCSE languages are weird. I thought I completely flopped my IGCSE french listening and writing, but I somehow got an A* (WTF). Anyway if you achieved an A, I am confident you have what it takes to do well, if you are willing to put in the effort necessary.

So you would defiantly recommend not doing psychology, and what are you doing now?
Reply 17
Original post by lot1313
So you would defiantly recommend not doing psychology, and what are you doing now?

so i should defiantly not do psychology
From what I recall of Oxbridge admissions policy, Sociology is not considered a reputable A-Level.

Original post by lot1313

No. However, it also bears mentioning that most prospective students of intellectually rigorous disciplines at top universities would at least be capable of undertaking the most basic independent research.
Reply 19
Original post by Profesh
From what I recall of Oxbridge admissions policy, Sociology is not considered a reputable A-Level.

No. However, it also bears mentioning that most prospective students of intellectually rigorous disciplines at top universities would at least be capable of undertaking the most basic independent research.

I have looked on that website and I have done a lot of research into what A Levels I should take, believe me. I wanted a more specific answer from actual people so that is why I took to this forum thank you very much

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending