The Student Room Group

Barton Peveril College or Peter Symonds College for Oxbridge Law

Hi all,
I'm a high-aspiring Y11 student who is aiming to apply for Oxbridge Law in the future.

At A-Levels, I hope to study Mathematics and History, with an EPQ in Law. I'm not sure what to study for my third A-Level, but will probably be either Politics or Classic Civilisation.

However, I'm unsure on what college would be the most beneficial to go down this Law-route. I've heard that Peter is seen as more prestigious and academic, but from what I have seen at open days, they seem pretty similar overall (in their own ways). I'm going to be applying to both, but just looking for a heads-up on which one might be stronger.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Original post by elliotc2308
Hi all,
I'm a high-aspiring Y11 student who is aiming to apply for Oxbridge Law in the future.

At A-Levels, I hope to study Mathematics and History, with an EPQ in Law. I'm not sure what to study for my third A-Level, but will probably be either Politics or Classic Civilisation.

However, I'm unsure on what college would be the most beneficial to go down this Law-route. I've heard that Peter is seen as more prestigious and academic, but from what I have seen at open days, they seem pretty similar overall (in their own ways). I'm going to be applying to both, but just looking for a heads-up on which one might be stronger.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

It doesnt matter which college you go to, All that matters your A level grades and are they relevant to what you are applying for.

We are talking about Oxford & Cambridge so the competition will be high... minimum grade requirements would be A*AA so if you got the grades then you should start working on your application as early as possible because to get accepted your application is the only thing that will take you to your interview so good luck. Please do good research before coming to a conclusion!Submit reply
I wouldn’t bother telling this but I'm anyway,

To get into top you need to study like one, if you mess around you wont get anywhere trust me. Thats classic me, thats what i did in my college but still got into my choices tho but dont do what i did.

Tips
College -
Predicted grades will be sent to universities which you will be applying so make sure you put that extra effort to get best grade possible within your capabilities.

Oxbridge Application starts early so you will be applying before all your mates,

Again to succeed with your application you need to show what contribution will you make in your field you are applying, Are you passionate about it? when i say passionate dont just write it on your personal statement.. its show dont tell, what makes you passionate? etc and what productive activities you did in your college etc.

So - College A levels -> predicted grades -> application -> Actual A level results -> Uni(hopefully)
Finally, good luck
Reply 3
I went to Barton Peveril and my closest friend (and my brother too) went to Peter Symmonds - when it comes to the subjects themselves and the teaching, both are on parr with eachother. Also when coming to getting a place at Oxbridge, they do not see a difference between the two colleges (they only see differences in the extremes, really good or really bad - both of these are mid).

The main thing you should be choosing your college on is your vibe of the open day, vibe of the surrounding area (i really enjoyed eastleigh and my friends enjoyed winchester) and quite importantly how easy each are to get to - for example from my house barton was 25 minutes on the bus and peter symmonds was over an hour at peak times. Meaning I could come home during the day if needed
Reply 4
Unis dont actually care or even notice which school you went to.
Your A level grades are up to you and not the brand name of your 6th Form.
And you have 5 UCAS choices, not just 'Oxbridge'.
It’s literally Oxbridge, no employer ever has discriminated between two colleges within Oxbridge. Focus on getting accepted at all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending