The Student Room Group

Not going to fresher's events due to social anxiety

Hello, I don't really know what I want from this post. I'm going to uni on Saturday and there will be loads of fresher's events. I really don't know what to do because I really don't want to go to any of them, I've never been clubbing or to parties except from when I was younger when I went with my parents. Would it be weird to not go to any of these events at all? I mean people say that its a great way to meet people, but I know that if I went I wouldn't talk to anyone anyway. I'm starting to not want to go to uni anymore because of the social aspect of it. None of the societies at my uni interest me so I won't join them. Also, I'm really worried about my flatmates because I won't ever be able to have a conversation with them. They may also wonder why I'm not going to any events.

Anybody with experience of going to uni with social anxiety? Any general advice?
Original post by Anonymous
Hello, I don't really know what I want from this post. I'm going to uni on Saturday and there will be loads of fresher's events. I really don't know what to do because I really don't want to go to any of them, I've never been clubbing or to parties except from when I was younger when I went with my parents. Would it be weird to not go to any of these events at all? I mean people say that its a great way to meet people, but I know that if I went I wouldn't talk to anyone anyway. I'm starting to not want to go to uni anymore because of the social aspect of it. None of the societies at my uni interest me so I won't join them. Also, I'm really worried about my flatmates because I won't ever be able to have a conversation with them. They may also wonder why I'm not going to any events.

Anybody with experience of going to uni with social anxiety? Any general advice?

I don't suffer from social anxiety but some of my friends at university do.
Your social anxiety is shutting you down completely. You are saying no to everything before you've ever got there because you are going off your worry and past experiences. I know it's a massive struggle and what not but let me try and help you.

During freshers, all the events aren't just based around clubbing. There are other socials you can go too and explore that are during the day time or just night time things in the SU. I'd suggest talking with your flatmates first, explaining that you have social anxiety (and I know that is hugely difficult to just come out with, it's just a suggestion) however if you don't want to say that, just say you aren't keen and they'll help you along. You can get close with your flat and then go out with them, not clubbing, just to other similar events.

Don't just shut yourself down and say you won't be able to start a conversation with them. They may start one with you and you just go from there. I know that by any means this isn't easy but I'm trying to help you to the best of my ability. I know it's scary the thought of starting and there are a lot of common misconceptions about freshers week. It isn't as scary as it sounds.

I'd suggest giving it a chance, small steps.
Good luck.
Hey,,

i didn't go to none last year since I was really busy with some personal stuff. But, I met alot of nice people in my lectures, tutorials and through socities.

I'm sure you'll be fine. It's okay
Reply 3
Hey I'm in the same boat as you and I bet there are plenty of more people who are in the same situation also!

I've always had social anxiety. My confidence in myself dropped to an all time low recently and I've stopped caring about going clubbing etc as everytime I go out clubbing I feel awkward unless I get really drunk and probably make a fool out of myself in which only makes my anxiety worse for next time I go out. in which I really hate doing! So now I'm not going to freshers. Have you looked at groups etc for people who aren't going to any freshers events for people like us at your uni? I've heard a lot of unis have groups but I can't find any at my uni (Liverpool) which sucks..

Again, you're not the only one in the same situation so don't make it any worse thinking it's just you!

Things will get better.

Adam.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous

Don't go then, freshers was **** anyways. Majority of my best friends I didn't meet until after freshers. It was a waste of my life and liver.

Plus societies are absolutely ****. Eventually work load gets too much so your social life is non existent anyway.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest