The Student Room Group

What is "Cashing in" A-level grades?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by aneducation
Thanks, so last question;
So when I'm applying through clearing- it's best to pay £80 and then the Universities won't see my previous grades in AS/A2 and only the ones I achieve in Summer 2016?

I was told, even if you cash your grades in- you'd still need to state your initial grades. This was on UCAS. I only found this out a month ago but apparently it's fraud to hide 'vital' information. I can totally understand though now thinking about it. But with universities, they want to know everything about you education wise, all of your qualifications basically. If you don't put everything on your application and they find out, they will deny your application or you could lose your offer at university. I was told also that it would be on your history so other universities will know what happened. I just wish I could forget those grades and pretend like they never existed. But every situation has it's positives and negatives. I'm just thankful there's another chance given.
(edited 8 years ago)
Thanks, so last question;
So when I'm applying through clearing- it's best to pay £80 and then the Universities won't see my previous grades in AS/A2 and only the ones I achieve in Summer 2016?

I believe they will be able to see both, but if you don't cash in again they will only see the original grade.
Original post by Compost
I believe they will be able to see both, but if you don't cash in again they will only see the original grade.

Wait...so you're saying that I shouldn't cash in so that they see my new original grade?

I'm REALLY sorry lol, but this cashing in business has super confused me.

Is there anyway of the Universities only seeing my new results? But if I cash in, there will be no confusion on what my result is for 2016, right? Thanks
Original post by Cherry82
I was told, even if you cash your grades in- you'd still need to stated your initial grades. This was on UCAS. I only found this out a month ago but apparently it's fraud to hide 'vital' information. I can totally understand though now thinking about it. But with universities, they want to know everything about you education wise, all of your qualifications basically. If you don't put everything on your application and they find out, they will deny your application or you could lose your offer at university. I was told also that it would be on your history so other universities will know what happened. I just wish I could forget those grades and pretend like they never existed. But every situation has it's positives and negatives. I'm just thankful there's another chance given.

Yeah same- improvement is the best thing. My results are horrible- but it is what it is xx
Wait...so you're saying that I shouldn't cash in so that they see my new original grade?

Cash-in.

A cash-in = the exam board adding up your best attempts at units to calculate an overall grade and then issuing a certificate. If you re-sit then you need to cash-in again so that they can re-calculate your grade including the re-sit as an option and issue a new certificate.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'new original grade' - you have an original grade and then you get a new grade.
Is there anyway of the Universities only seeing my new results?
No.

But if I cash in, there will be no confusion on what my result is for 2016, right?

None.
Is anyone struggling to find an exam centre??
Original post by Compost
Cash-in.

A cash-in = the exam board adding up your best attempts at units to calculate an overall grade and then issuing a certificate. If you re-sit then you need to cash-in again so that they can re-calculate your grade including the re-sit as an option and issue a new certificate.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'new original grade' - you have an original grade and then you get a new grade.
No.

None.

Okay, please don't hate me for asking this for the millionth time;

but basically- I should Cash in BOTH of my AS/A2 exams for Biology +Chemistry
=4 cash ins
= £80

Right?

And this will make sure that when I apply for clearing- there is no mix up with my previous grades.
Okay, please don't hate me for asking this for the millionth time;

but basically- I should Cash in BOTH of my AS/A2 exams for Biology +Chemistry
=4 cash ins
= £80

And this will make sure that when I apply for clearing- there is no mix up with my previous grades.

I'd only worry about the A level grades -the AS don't really add anything extra.
can you do and complete an A level and not cash it in?
Original post by NatsP29
can you do and complete an A level and not cash it in?

Not in England. Where are are you?
Original post by Compost
Not in England. Where are are you?

England, but nvm now. Cheers for reply

Quick Reply

Latest