The Student Room Group

maths

calculate value of x for which f(x)= inverse f(x)

4/x+3=(4/x)-3

i got x to equal 4 as my answer but the answer in the book is 1 can anyone explain?
the RHS is not the inverse of the LHS :redface:
Original post by the bear
the RHS is not the inverse of the LHS :redface:

I think OP means 4/(x+3) as f(x) and (4/x)-3 as its inverse. I don't know if there was some confusion with the way it was written, but I think it is the correct inverse.

OP could you post your working?
Reply 3
Original post by hhattiecc
I think OP means 4/(x+3) as f(x) and (4/x)-3 as its inverse. I don't know if there was some confusion with the way it was written, but I think it is the correct inverse.

OP could you post your working?

yeah thats what i meant:smile:

its probably something really simple that im getting wrong..

added 3 to both sides to get 7/x+3=4/x
then multiplied both sides by x+3 to get 7=4x+12/x
multiplied both sides by x to get 7x=4x+12 and rearranged to get 3x=12
Original post by AndyOC
yeah thats what i meant:smile:

its probably something really simple that im getting wrong..

added 3 to both sides to get 7/x+3=4/x
then multiplied both sides by x+3 to get 7=4x+12/x
multiplied both sides by x to get 7x=4x+12 and rearranged to get 3x=12

Please start using brackets around numerators and denominators haha, it's soooo hard to follow if you don't!

Originally when you went to add 3 to both sides, your sum should be [4/(x+3)] + 3, but you need the same denominator before you can add to a fraction (you can't just add it to the numerator)
Also, are there some constraints on the value of x or does your book only give you one solution? I'm a bit confused as to why -4 isn't listed as a solution.
Reply 6
Original post by hhattiecc
Also, are there some constraints on the value of x or does your book only give you one solution? I'm a bit confused as to why -4 isn't listed as a solution.

yeah there's only one solution the book is stupid really it's not uncommon for it to give a wrong answer as i've discovered plenty of times before

Thanks for the help anyway:smile:
Reply 7
it is simple
Reply 8
Original post by BULL14
it is simple

yeah i've done it now just got confused with the basics haha
Original post by AndyOC
yeah there's only one solution the book is stupid really it's not uncommon for it to give a wrong answer as i've discovered plenty of times before

Thanks for the help anyway:smile:

it's literally shocking how bad some of the a level books are in terms of giving correct answers.
No worries :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest