The Student Room Group

Classics and english - oxford or bristol?

I have the opportunity to apply to oxford to study classics and english this year (my a level results were better than expected). Currently i have a place at bristol but i dont know if i should re apply. I know that oxford is prestigious and highly regarded but i have heard, particularly with classics based degrees, that the workload is very intense. Its not that i dont want to work hard at uni , im just worried that if i get into oxford i ll struggle with the workload......how much difference is there in workload between bristol and oxford in terms of classics? I have visited both uni s and would say that i am currently inclined to stick with bristol as they re friendly and less traditional with their approach there (which i find appealing)....but i know that a degree from oxford would be more beneficial in the long run
(edited 8 years ago)
heyy, sorry not really answering your question but what A level results did you get? I'm applying for Classics and English at Oxford and then straight english at Bristol, Leeds, Manchester and Cardiff.. I can't really work out how competitive Classics and English is and I don't know anyone who is doing it... I'm having the same issue as you re Oxford- even if I get in i don't know if I'm just too lazy to go there- I want to actually have a life at uni!
Original post by hannahrfw
heyy, sorry not really answering your question but what A level results did you get? I'm applying for Classics and English at Oxford and then straight english at Bristol, Leeds, Manchester and Cardiff.. I can't really work out how competitive Classics and English is and I don't know anyone who is doing it... I'm having the same issue as you re Oxford- even if I get in i don't know if I'm just too lazy to go there- I want to actually have a life at uni!

Classics and english is very competitive - however, in your application, you can ask to be considered by both the english and classics faculties for doing either as a straight subject. The people who get in to the classics and english course won't necessarily be those who have 3 A* but those who impress the interviewer with a passion for the subject and a keen interest in researching it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending