The Student Room Group

Judo

People (yes, girls and boys) should get into judo. It is fab for fitness, cardio and self defence.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Judomandeano
People (yes, girls and boys) should get into judo. It is fab for fitness, cardio and self defence.

That's a very good advertisement. Needs more pictures though.
I really wouldn't say judo is fab for self defense, it's extremely sport/ competition orientated and doesn't teach you about defending yourself in the street. Realistically you do not want to get within grappling range of someone who could easily be concealing a knife, you want to strike from a distance and try to find a way out, also it doesn't prepare you at all for defending against strikes.

If you want to join judo for fitness, fun and competition great but if your looking for self defense you definitely need to combine it with another martial art. But personally I didn't like judo so maybe I'm a bit biased lol
Original post by student2312
I really wouldn't say judo is fab for self defense, it's extremely sport/ competition orientated and doesn't teach you about defending yourself in the street. Realistically you do not want to get within grappling range of someone who could easily be concealing a knife, you want to strike from a distance and try to find a way out, also it doesn't prepare you at all for defending against strikes.

If you want to join judo for fitness, fun and competition great but if your looking for self defense you definitely need to combine it with another martial art. But personally I didn't like judo so maybe I'm a bit biased lol

Good point about the knife, but you know what the best self defence is on the street? Running. 200-400m classes.

The striking is way overrated. If a judoka gets hold of you it's nighty night. You better knock him out with those strikes. Judo is seriously underrated for self defence.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If a fight does take you to the ground then obviously martial arts such as jujitsu and judo will come out top but the danger is once you're on the ground your attacker could easily pull a knife, or his friends turn up and, instead of being on your feet where you could have a chance at running, you're on the ground.
Defending against strikes isn't overrated, often it's the first move made in a fight and if you can't dodge, block or counter it efficiently you could be in big trouble.
I did judo for a while and while it was fun I definitely think it would need to be accompanied by another martial art that covers striking to be used as self defense.

But yes, the absolute best option is run if you can lol
As a British SN Judo bronze medal I can assure you it is a superb sport and a great self defence. Yes, my jujitsu is a better offence martial art but Judo has got me out of a whole lot of trouble in the passed. Top defence if you put the graft in.
Being a fellow judoka myself (for the past three years) I'd say judo is great and enjoyable, but there's no way in the world I'd be able to tackle anyone who was taller AND had a larger body mass than myself (and I'm pretty small) unless I was lucky enough to have an attacker who was my weight and height? :lol:

I'd 10/10 recommend though, it's a great workout.
Original post by Slipandsquirm
Good point about the knife, but you know what the best self defence is on the street? Running. 200-400m classes.

The striking is way overrated. If a judoka gets hold of you it's nighty night. You better knock him out with those strikes. Judo is seriously underrated for self defence.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ABSOLUTELY

I AM A PHYSICALLY disabled judoka 4th Dan and once on the floor you are beat. The best self defence :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)

Its a matter of taste. In my opinion, its too monotone, as Judo almost consists of techniques for ground fighting. Jiu Jitsu is more balanced in self defense, that is why I prefer it.
Original post by Kallisto
Its a matter of taste. In my opinion, its too monotone, as Judo almost consists of techniques for ground fighting. Jiu Jitsu is more balanced in self defense, that is why I prefer it.

I also like Jujitsu and gained my brown belt last year but I just prefer the discipline of judo - just a personal choice.

Jujitsu is probably a better self defence but in my opinion Judo is the better sport.
I also like Jujitsu and gained my brown belt last year but I just prefer the discipline of judo - just a personal choice.

Jujitsu is probably a better self defence but in my opinion Judo is the better sport.

Better in what? concerning the discipline you have told? discipline is important, you are right. But as long as a martial artist is not versatile in defending hisself/herself, a martial artist is not able to manage the different threats outside of a dojo.
Reply 11
Better in what? concerning the discipline you have told? discipline is important, you are right. But as long as a martial artist is not versatile in defending hisself/herself, a martial artist is not able to manage the different threats outside of a dojo.

I have used judo outside of the dojo and defended myself a few times. What is your point exactly? A hobby is something you do because you enjoy it. Not because something else is better in someone irrelevant such as yourselves opinions. It is a good sport, so is ju-jitsu but saying you cannot use judo to defend yourself is wrong when i and many other peiple have in fact done such thing.
Original post by JamesW32
I have used judo outside of the dojo and defended myself a few times. What is your point exactly? A hobby is something you do because you enjoy it. Not because something else is better in someone irrelevant such as yourselves opinions. It is a good sport, so is ju-jitsu but saying you cannot use judo to defend yourself is wrong when i and many other peiple have in fact done such thing.

So Judo does not conist of techniques for the ground alone? whenever I have met a Judo lesson, I have always seen techniques which are prepared for ground fighting. Yeah, this kind of fighting is interesting and very important in my opinion (as people who are lying on the ground have serious problems in defend themselves). But to train this kind of martial arts, its too unbalanced in my personal view.
Reply 13
Many techniques in judo are for standing also. I disagree that its just tha . But if that's what you think.
Many techniques in judo are for standing also. I disagree that its just tha . But if that's what you think.

Can you tell me how many standing and how many ground techniques are teached in Judo? what is the proportion? you make me a bit curious.
Reply 15
Can you tell me how many standing and how many ground techniques are teached in Judo? what is the proportion? you make me a bit curious.
Well, I would say There were more standing techniques than just ground holds. However armlocks and strangles together and the combinations of things you can do on the ground yes there are more, however It is incredibly balanced and most top fighters have a preference so they practise mpst at that, so if you fought someone and they were good at ground fighting but you werent. Youd stay up. Its all about taking advantages and using them really.
Well, I would say There were more standing techniques than just ground holds. However armlocks and strangles together and the combinations of things you can do on the ground yes there are more, however It is incredibly balanced and most top fighters have a preference so they practise mpst at that, so if you fought someone and they were good at ground fighting but you werent. Youd stay up. Its all about taking advantages and using them really.

Incredibly balanced? sounds good. So next time I will take a closer look at Judo. Perhaps I am taking part in Judo sporadically. Some techniques for ground might be important for my self defence skills.
In terms of knife attacks I have learnt to escape as long as its an option. If this is impossible, fighting has to be the option of solving this situation

So Judo students have the choice between competition and self defence from the beginning?
Reply 18
Incredibly balanced? sounds good. So next time I will take a closer look at Judo. Perhaps I am taking part in Judo sporadically. Some techniques for ground might be important for my self defence skills.

I men suprisingly balanced :-) Its a good sport, ive done it for the past ten years and i love it! Give it a go :-)
I men suprisingly balanced :-) Its a good sport, ive done it for the past ten years and i love it! Give it a go :-)

The association in my city offers both Judo and Jiu Jitsu, plus Taekwondo, Karate and Boxing, so a lot in martial art. I tend to give Boxing and Taekwondo a go first. Maybe Jiu Jitsu after that. If I am still interest in Judo, that would come next.

Quick Reply

Latest