The Student Room Group

Predicted grades higher than actual?

Hello, basically I messed up AS year a lot and got CDEE, this year i ended up getting CCC. I got A's in individual modules but like E's in others which brought it down. I was planning on taking a gap year anyway so im happy to retake the few E's/D's to hopefully bring my overall grade up. Anyway i wanted to apply or biochemistry and my predicted grades are ABC for Chemistry, Biology and Literature respectively. Obviously the A for chemistry is a lot higher than my actual C, just wondering if Uni's will look at my actual grades reject me regardless of predicted because they've been inflated so much?
Also, d'you reckon BBB is the equivalent to ABC in terms of entry requirements? And is applying to an AAB uni with these predicted grades a bit foolish? E.g Sheffield (I would only apply to one high risk uni btw just in case).
Thanks!
Original post by hp707
Hello, basically I messed up AS year a lot and got CDEE, this year i ended up getting CCC. I got A's in individual modules but like E's in others which brought it down. I was planning on taking a gap year anyway so im happy to retake the few E's/D's to hopefully bring my overall grade up. Anyway i wanted to apply or biochemistry and my predicted grades are ABC for Chemistry, Biology and Literature respectively. Obviously the A for chemistry is a lot higher than my actual C, just wondering if Uni's will look at my actual grades reject me regardless of predicted because they've been inflated so much?
Also, d'you reckon BBB is the equivalent to ABC in terms of entry requirements? And is applying to an AAB uni with these predicted grades a bit foolish? E.g Sheffield (I would only apply to one high risk uni btw just in case).
Thanks!

The unis you apply for do have the right to do that because they'll see your actual grades anyway. Achieving CCC and being predicted ABC is a bit of a stretch.

Not all unis will view ABC the same as BBB. A lot of high ranked unis will not accept a C grade, so you'll have to be careful when looking at entry requirements especially since top unis also don't use the points system. If you feel you're more likely to achieve BBB, why not ask to put that as your predicted? If you are looking to apply for top unis, BBB looks much better than ABC anyway

If I were you, I'd go for 3 unis asking for BBB, 1 that asks for BBC (or 260 UCAS points) and one that asks for ABB. If you happen to exceed the requirements, adjustment is always a viable option. That would be the best way to ensure you get realistic offers and to release a bit of pressure on you
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by cherryred90s
The unis you apply for do have the right to do that because they'll see your actual grades anyway. Achieving CCC and being predicted ABC is a bit of a stretch.

Not all unis will view ABC the same as BBB. A lot of high ranked unis will not accept a C grade, so you'll have to be careful when looking at entry requirements especially since top unis also don't use the points system. If you feel you're more likely to achieve BBB, why not ask to put that as your predicted? If you are looking to apply for top unis, BBB looks much better than ABC anyway

If I were you, I'd go for 3 unis asking for BBB, 1 that asks for BBC (or 260 UCAS points) and one that asks for ABB. If you happen to exceed the requirements, adjustment is always a viable option. That would be the best way to ensure you get realistic offers and to release a bit of pressure on you

Thanks!!

Quick Reply

Latest