The Student Room Group

Predicted grades

Baiscally my predicted grades are quite low (BBC) especially for what I actually achieved, the b’s are in Spanish and maths (I’m fine with maths) and a C in cs I’ve tried everything and I’m highly doubting my predicted grades will go up and the school keep saying it’s already aspirational. I’m going to try appealing two of my subjects but the best outcome is probably ABC which is still not great tbh. For Spanish they fully screwed us over they gave us an alevel paper with no practice and we hadn’t even covered half the content (and I still got a B according to alevel grade boundaries) but my Spanish teacher is far more willing to give me the higher grade so it’s possible I will get the A. As for computing, my evidence is weak (but I do have evidence for a B) because I got a C in my mock but I literally need the B to go to uni. Taking cs is my biggest regret ever I’ve never hated anything so much, I’m now supposed to be applying to business management at university but with my current grades, either bbc or abc my only options is to apply for bad unis, not even mid tier unis. The best case is me getting predicted abb, in which case I can actually apply for decent unis and won’t need to go through clearing. I’ve looked at the courses and literally even the worst ones need bbb ik it’s possible they’ll make me an offer anyway but I don’t even want to go there rlly. Ik I can easily get a minimum of aab in the actual exams, if not a lot higher because we have literally covered all the content for computing, and I’ll have obviously done so many past papers by the exam. Same with Spanish. The only one which has a significant amount of content left is maths. However, my cs teacher only cares about the coursework and he actually wants to decrease my predicted grade but he can’t because he’s not allowed at this stage. This has been making me immensely upset and it has to stop because I’m wasting all this time being upset instead of improving. Everyone has told me to take a gap year but not only are my parents strongly against it, I don’t even want to take one ik it’s not right for me at all, it doesn’t provide any structure. My only option is to go through clearing at this point, especially if I get bbc. Is anyone in a similar position or has any advice especially on how to get over the predicted grades?
You can apply for universities with requirements above your predicted grades if you think you will exceed your predictions. Not every university considered predicted grades and even those that do will usually have some flexibility to make offers above predictions.

Focus on making a range of applications for this year for universities that you think you'd like if you got a range of grades (so a couple of choices for if your get ABB, a couple at BBB and one a bit lower in case everything goes wrong). Even if you're thinking of using clearing in August you need a UCAS application to use Clearing - and it makes sense to apply to UCAS before the January deadline so you have the opportunity to apply to 5 choices and use Extra if you're not happy with any offers you get from those 5 before Clearing comes around... maximise your chances
Reply 2
Thank you for the advice, I’ll probably go for one or two above, I’m not applying for any v competitive unis. I will have an insurance but I can definitely get significantly higher than my predicteds, my schools predictions weren’t accurate at all 😭 thanks for the advice. My schools internal deadline is November so I’ll be submitting my choices then. I’ll then use clearing if I change my mind

Original post by PQ
You can apply for universities with requirements above your predicted grades if you think you will exceed your predictions. Not every university considered predicted grades and even those that do will usually have some flexibility to make offers above predictions.

Focus on making a range of applications for this year for universities that you think you'd like if you got a range of grades (so a couple of choices for if your get ABB, a couple at BBB and one a bit lower in case everything goes wrong). Even if you're thinking of using clearing in August you need a UCAS application to use Clearing - and it makes sense to apply to UCAS before the January deadline so you have the opportunity to apply to 5 choices and use Extra if you're not happy with any offers you get from those 5 before Clearing comes around... maximise your chances

Quick Reply

Latest