The Student Room Group

a level choices

Hi. I hope this the right place to post. My year 11 daughter is currently in the mist of deciding which A levels she wants to do next year. She knows she wants to do Geography and biology and is thinking of doing Russian along side it. She is also thinking of doing maths at least to AS level.

Will these subjects help with a Geography based Uni course and what sort of course could she do based on this

sorry if this is posted in the wrong place

Love

confused mummy
Original post by confused mummy
Hi. I hope this the right place to post. My year 11 daughter is currently in the mist of deciding which A levels she wants to do next year. She knows she wants to do Geography and biology and is thinking of doing Russian along side it. She is also thinking of doing maths at least to AS level.

Will these subjects help with a Geography based Uni course and what sort of course could she do based on this

Love

confused mummy

I'm in shock? tell your daughter to create an account it's weird that you as her confused mummy care more than her
Yes, those subjects can get her onto a geography course (providing she gets the grades ofc)

Love

confused mummy

Hi :smile:

Is Geology offered as an A Level where she is planning to study? That would go nicely with Geography as some of the topics overlap, and it would be good to have as her third A Level subject. Chemistry would also be helpful. In any case, those subjects should be fine for a Geography degree, and would also be suitable for degrees in Geology, Environmental Science, Ecology etc :smile:
She could do geology or world development as well instead of Russian cos they are more related to Geography or another science like Chemistry.
Hi. I hope this the right place to post. My year 11 daughter is currently in the mist of deciding which A levels she wants to do next year. She knows she wants to do Geography and biology and is thinking of doing Russian along side it. She is also thinking of doing maths at least to AS level.Will these subjects help with a Geography based Uni course and what sort of course could she do based on thissorry if this is posted in the wrong placeLoveconfused mummy
That's fine. The most important thing is that she has Geography since many (although not all) universities will have that as an entry requirement. Apart from that, there aren't really any subjects that she needs to take but a science (like Biology) could potentially be helpful for the scientific sides of the course, particularly if she's more interested in Physical Geography. Maths is useful for basically everything so that's never a bad idea (as long as she's good at it) and Russian is also fine.Others have suggested subjects like Geology and Chemistry - whilst it's true that they might be helpful with the scientific parts of a Geography degree (again, particularly if she's more interested in Physical Geography) but you do not need them, the subject selection you've outlined is perfectly acceptable and if it's a selection she thinks she'll enjoy, I say go with it. In terms of courses you could do with those subjects, Geography's presumably the best one of that's what her interest is in but there are also a lot of "Geography and..." and "Geography with..." courses that she might want to look at. One of most popular combinations is Geography and Geology which might be something to look at if she's interested in the sciencey side of Geography (she probably would be able to get on most Geography and Geology courses with that subject combination). I suppose other related subjects include Anthropology, Global Development and Geology (not everywhere, though).
exactly when did I say she didnt care??? Shes hard at work revising for her GCSEs . Im just doing a bit of research for her.
Thank you very much everyone for your replies. They have give her a lot to think about. :smile:
Reply 8
I think it is really nice that you're posting on behalf of your daughter to help her out. This is not just a place for uni students which some people seem to think it is!

I am doing my A2s at the moment and am studying Maths, Biology and Geography. I really enjoy Biology and Geography and wish her luck with those but would recommend to not do Maths unless she is really good at it and really enjoys it. At GCSE I got an A* in Maths and an A in Further Maths and did not find the subject too tricky, but have really struggled with Maths at A Level. I scraped a B at AS with a lot of hard work but this year I am finding it really really hard and am looking into getting a tutor. If she likes it and is good at it then she should do what she wants and give it a go, but be prepared for the work she may have to put in. My friend got an A at GCSE and worked hard for her AS Levels and got a U and she was so disappointed after all that work.
However, she is interested in Geography related subjects and if she decides to go down a more sciencey route in this area they may want three sciences, in which case Maths would help.

Not trying to freak you out just sharing my experiences and hoping they help! If you have any questions I'm happy to see if I can help!

Good luck :smile:
Reply 9
Sorry when I said she is interested in..... I was referring to your daughter not my friend! :biggrin:
Original post by jess_12
I think it is really nice that you're posting on behalf of your daughter to help her out. This is not just a place for uni students which some people seem to think it is!

I am doing my A2s at the moment and am studying Maths, Biology and Geography. I really enjoy Biology and Geography and wish her luck with those but would recommend to not do Maths unless she is really good at it and really enjoys it. At GCSE I got an A* in Maths and an A in Further Maths and did not find the subject too tricky, but have really struggled with Maths at A Level. I scraped a B at AS with a lot of hard work but this year I am finding it really really hard and am looking into getting a tutor. If she likes it and is good at it then she should do what she wants and give it a go, but be prepared for the work she may have to put in. My friend got an A at GCSE and worked hard for her AS Levels and got a U and she was so disappointed after all that work.
However, she is interested in Geography related subjects and if she decides to go down a more sciencey route in this area they may want three sciences, in which case Maths would help.

Not trying to freak you out just sharing my experiences and hoping they help! If you have any questions I'm happy to see if I can help!

Good luck :smile:

Thats really interesting what you have said about maths. I know shes looking at only doing maths up to AS level as the college she's applying for recommend taking 4 options and then dropping one after the first year to concentrate on 3 other 3. She knows she dosnt want to drop the geography , biology or russian so its alway going to be maths that gets dropped. I will let her know about how hard it is :smile:
Reply 11
Hi, personally I think it's really nice that you're interested enough in your daughters education to post on this forum. I think that combination sounds pretty great, as it shows that she is a well rounded candidate.
I'm another confused mother! This site is wonderful and it's lovely to see busy students take time out to help us. With thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thats really interesting what you have said about maths. I know shes looking at only doing maths up to AS level as the college she's applying for recommend taking 4 options and then dropping one after the first year to concentrate on 3 other 3. She knows she dosnt want to drop the geography , biology or russian so its alway going to be maths that gets dropped. I will let her know about how hard it is :smile:

Hey I know this you posted quite a while back but I just want to let you know that I (and others) got accepted into geography and environmental science courses with subjects like Geography, business, psychology and history.

You dont necessarily need maths and a pure science. You normally need at least a B in Geography and a science based subject (psychology counted for me), although pure sciences do help and would probably be more favourably looked upon at the higher uni's. I would say A level math isnt needed. Currently doing enviro science and although we do a fair bit of math it isnt complicated math and based around calculations in chemistry. A geography course would have even less maths in it.

Geography, biology and russian sound perfect. Chemistry would probably be more useful than maths, though thats dependant on the modules of the course and how much lab time she will have.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending