The Student Room Group

A-level choices for computer science

Hello, I am in year 11 and our school has started to talk a lot about a level choices. I have already thought a lot about my choices and I want to do English, chemistry, computer science and AS maths. As you could probably tell by my choices, I am a bit conflicted on what I want to do when I'm older.

Ideally for a career path I want to do computer science however I see that my options don't really steer that way. I thought that by doing computer science that would perhaps keep me in a good situation as well as doing AS maths but I'm thinking that will not be the case after doing some research. I'm thinking of dropping English for maybe another subject like economics however I really do enjoy English and it is one of my best at GCSE.

I have also noticed that doing AS maths sort of puts me at a disadvantage as well because I am not doing the full qualification however I am not that talented at maths (predicted a 7 but keep in mind I go to a grammar school so this typically expected/average) And to be honest, I dislike maths but I realise a lot of universities want this anyways.

Can someone please advise me on what to do - will my choices disadvantage me?
I need to choose what I want to do by January next year so if anyone can help I would appreciate it.
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 1
If you want to do Comp Sci at Uni, you need Maths A level.
If you dont 'like' Maths enough to do it at full A level, then rethink a degree in CS.
Reply 2
Original post by McGinger
If you want to do Comp Sci at Uni, you need Maths A level.
If you dont 'like' Maths enough to do it at full A level, then rethink a degree in CS.

Thank you for replying. I have thought about other degrees I should probably do if I am not particularly up for Maths however I think Computer Science is what I want to do so I will most likely give up one of my original choices, not sure which one though. I feel that an essay-based subject like English will benefit me regardless what degree I do because of other job opportunities but I may be wrong (?)
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by imco195506
Thank you for replying. I have thought about other degrees I should probably do if I am not particularly up for Maths however I think Computer Science is what I want to do so I will most likely give up one of my original choices, not sure which one though. I feel that an essay-based subject like English will benefit me regardless what degree I do because of other job opportunities but I may be wrong (?)

No University will want Eng Lit for a degree in CS.
And once you have a degree, employers are not interested in your A levels.
Reply 4
Original post by McGinger
No University will want Eng Lit for a degree in CS.
And once you have a degree, employers are not interested in your A levels.

Thank you for the help, I will rethink my choices!

Quick Reply

Latest