The Student Room Group

Should I swap A levels for BTEC lvl 3 in Art and Design?

Currently I am in my first year of A levels, (Art&design, photography, sociology and psychology) I thought that A levels were the only qualification that would get me into Uni. Only recently, after a month of A levels I found out how wrong I was.
I only chose sociology and psychology because I wanted 4 A levels and absolutely hate those subjects! I hate classes, I hate exams and I can't deal with the stress, I prefer coursework or practical assessments.
I would want to continue only with A level photography and do Art BTEC as well. Later I also want to do a foundation year in Art before going on to study Fine Art at Oxford or UCL. But isn't it too late to swap after a month? Will I catch up with the work?
I am extremely passionate about art. My parents don't allow me to drop A levels because they say that I need a variety of choices if I change my mind about my future career and they think that BTECs are for lazy people. But I will not change my mind, becoming a self employed book illustrator is my biggest dream since the age of 10 (I am 16 now).
Hello there,

Have you seen the entry requirements for Fine Art at Oxford? It does state that having a substantial experience in history of art is essential: http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses-listing/fine-art
Will your BTEC course offer this to you? Normally a foundation year will, but it's something to bare in mind!

Maybe you could swap one of your A levels for History of Art (if your college does that?) ... Then your parents would be happy that you're doing an essay based subject, but it'd still be art related?

Quick Reply

Latest