The Student Room Group

Is this possible?

If I completed a level 3 foundation diploma and left to do something else for a year can I then start on the second year as I've already completed the first (awarding body is UAL)
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by Dylanneicho
If I completed a level 3 foundation diploma and left to do something else for a year can I then start on the second year as I've already completed the first

You mention a "level 3 foundation diploma", but don't mention who the awarding body is. If it's Pearson BTEC, then the answer is a definite "Yes". They call this process a "top-up", when you take additional units to "top-up" your Foundation Diploma to a Diploma, or to an Extended Diploma.

If it's a different awarding body (e.g UAL, OTHM, or whoever), then I'd need to check.
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
You mention a "level 3 foundation diploma", but don't mention who the awarding body is. If it's Pearson BTEC, then the answer is a definite "Yes". They call this process a "top-up", when you take additional units to "top-up" your Foundation Diploma to a Diploma, or to an Extended Diploma.
If it's a different awarding body (e.g UAL, OTHM, or whoever), then I'd need to check.

I see, the awarding body is UAL
I see, the awarding body is UAL

OK. So assume you'll be doing the 1-year "UAL Level 3 Foundation Diploma in Art and Design" then. Is that right? Your first post says, "can I then start on the second year as I've already completed the first". What would be the full two-year course you were thinking of?

I ask as there's a "UAL Level 4 Foundation Diploma in Art and Design" which itself is a 1-year course, but is separate from the Level 3 version (so you're not splitting a two-year course into two parts). Or perhaps you were thinking of the "UAL Level 3 Applied General Diploma in Art & Design", which is again a separate one-year course, so there's no course-split involved.
Reply 4
Original post by DataVenia
OK. So assume you'll be doing the 1-year "UAL Level 3 Foundation Diploma in Art and Design" then. Is that right? Your first post says, "can I then start on the second year as I've already completed the first". What would be the full two-year course you were thinking of?
I ask as there's a "UAL Level 4 Foundation Diploma in Art and Design" which itself is a 1-year course, but is separate from the Level 3 version (so you're not splitting a two-year course into two parts). Or perhaps you were thinking of the "UAL Level 3 Applied General Diploma in Art & Design", which is again a separate one-year course, so there's no course-split involved.

So I've done the level 3 foundation diploma in performing arts and I'm looking to start straight on the extended diploma.
So I've done the level 3 foundation diploma in performing arts and I'm looking to start straight on the extended diploma.

Understood. The specification which covers both the The Level 3 Diploma and Extended Diploma in Performing & Production Arts is here. It makes it clear that flexibility in delivery is built into the way the course is structured. For example, it says, "The qualification has been written to support a range of delivery options. The twelve units focus on underpinning processes and principles and deliberately avoid the specification of detailed contexts in which delivery should occur."

My reading of this is that the college teaching the course has the flexibility to teach the year 2 units two years after the year 1 units. However, because UAL don't explicitly say that the two years can be split, it would be down to the individual college to decide whether they support that approach or not. So, unfortunately, I think you're going to need to seek an answer to this question from your college. Sorry.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending