The Student Room Group

Help

Okay so basically I currently study a btec at level 3 fashion business retail and I am doing really well, I’ve had distinctions since September and I’ve kept them up leaning hopefully when I finish this year I will be rewarded with 74-84 ucas points ,, I’m not sure I want to do second year because it feels like it would be repeating and I want to get into fashion journalism , so I was thinking of studying an NCTJ level 3 certificate but the issue with this is that it would only give me 16 UCAS points meaning I might not have enough if I do wanna go to UNI, but on the other hand I don’t think I would mind doing a foundation year of the fashion journalism course that they do at Sunderland uni, I’m so stressed I feel like I’m either gonna make a good choice or ruin my future any advice would help ,, since I’m not sure about UNI I’ve always wanted to get an internship/ apprenticeship
This is my post lol had to create a new account
Original post by unknown_needhelp
Okay so basically I currently study a btec at level 3 fashion business retail and I am doing really well, I’ve had distinctions since September and I’ve kept them up leaning hopefully when I finish this year I will be rewarded with 74-84 ucas points ,, I’m not sure I want to do second year because it feels like it would be repeating and I want to get into fashion journalism , so I was thinking of studying an NCTJ level 3 certificate but the issue with this is that it would only give me 16 UCAS points meaning I might not have enough if I do wanna go to UNI, but on the other hand I don’t think I would mind doing a foundation year of the fashion journalism course that they do at Sunderland uni, I’m so stressed I feel like I’m either gonna make a good choice or ruin my future any advice would help ,, since I’m not sure about UNI I’ve always wanted to get an internship/ apprenticeship

Are you sure this is a "btec at level 3 fashion business retail"? BTEC is a brand owned by Pearson, and they don't appear to offer a qualification by that name.

Perhaps it's actually a "UAL Level 3 Diploma and Extended Diploma in Fashion Business and Retail", which is offered by University of the Arts London (UAL)?

Have you checked the specification for the second year, and confirmed that it "would be repeating", rather than learning new aspects of the fashion business anew?

If you're interested in combining Fashion and Journalism, it's a shame that there's not a one-year course (perhaps similar to the "NCTJ level 3 certificate" you mention) with a Journalism focus which is worth more UCAS points. More UCAS points will always give you more flexibility, be it for university or an apprenticeship.
Original post by DataVenia
Are you sure this is a "btec at level 3 fashion business retail"? BTEC is a brand owned by Pearson, and they don't appear to offer a qualification by that name.
Perhaps it's actually a "UAL Level 3 Diploma and Extended Diploma in Fashion Business and Retail", which is offered by University of the Arts London (UAL)?
Have you checked the specification for the second year, and confirmed that it "would be repeating", rather than learning new aspects of the fashion business anew?
If you're interested in combining Fashion and Journalism, it's a shame that there's not a one-year course (perhaps similar to the "NCTJ level 3 certificate" you mention) with a Journalism focus which is worth more UCAS points. More UCAS points will always give you more flexibility, be it for university or an apprenticeship.

It’s classed under art and design by Pearson but I do fashion instead not sure if that makes much sense , and I know that another college does media and things like that but doesn’t seem suited to me , I can’t decide if I should do the NCTJ level 3, but not get enough points (however, I can still do the course at uni as it has a foundation year so I could still complete it if I decided I wanted to ) but I’m just like stuck because I rlly don’t wanna go back to a college it’s just to laid back and not for me but I don’t want to do a levels
It’s classed under art and design by Pearson but I do fashion instead not sure if that makes much sense , and I know that another college does media and things like that but doesn’t seem suited to me , I can’t decide if I should do the NCTJ level 3, but not get enough points (however, I can still do the course at uni as it has a foundation year so I could still complete it if I decided I wanted to ) but I’m just like stuck because I rlly don’t wanna go back to a college it’s just to laid back and not for me but I don’t want to do a levels

OK. I still can't really work out what you're your taking, but I guess that's probably not too important. A Pearson BTEC Level 3 in Art and Design comes in many varieties, but the the only one with "Fashion" in the title is the Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Diploma in Fashion Design and Production, which is equivalent in size to two A Levels, and so worth up to 112 UCAS points. It therefore seems likely that you're taking the "regular" Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Foundation Diploma in Art and Design, which is equivalent in size to 1.5 A Levels and so worth up to 84 UCAS points, and are taking optional modules which focus on fashion (e.g. Unit 14 Textiles Materials, Techniques and Processes, or Unit 15 Fashion Materials, Techniques and Processes). As I say, that's probably not too important.

You write above about the "NCTJ level 3 certificate", by which I assume you mean the NCTJ Level 3 Certificate in Foundation Journalism. This is a fairly small qualification, worth just 16 UCAS points. According to the specification, "syllabus incorporates a programme of study that includes an estimated 150 hours guided learning". By way of comparison, a single GCSE is supposed to be about 120 guided learning hours (GLH) and an A level is supposed to be about 360 GLH. So spend a full year doing that, and nothing else, wouldn't seem terribly productive. Especially for just 16 UCAS points, even if it is directly relevant to your chosen career.

As you say, the 84 points from the BTEC and 16 points from the NCTJ certificate, for a maximum 110-point total won't be sufficient to meet Sunderland's requirements for their Fashion Journalism BA (Hons) course ("Our typical offer is 120 UCAS Tariff points, from a combination of acceptable Level 3 qualifications"). As a result, their Fashion Journalism with Integrated Foundation Year BA (Hons) ("Normally a minimum of three Level 2 qualifications (NVQ, GCSE, or equivalent), including maths and English language at grade C or above and a minimum of 40 UCAS Tariff points from Level 3 qualifications" might be a better option.

An alternative, which would save you a year of tuition fees (and the costs associated with living away from home, if that's what you'd be doing), would be to do another one-year BTEC. Perhaps something like a Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Foundation Diploma in Creative Digital Media Production? It's a 510 GLH course, is designed to be completed in a year, and contains some relevant units (e.g. Unit 17: News Production). On page 17 of the specification it even says:

"When combined with other qualifications within a two year study programme, such as AS/A levels or another BTEC National Foundation Diploma, learners can progress into higher education on full degree single or combined courses for example:
BA (Hons) in Fashion Journalism (taken with eg BTEC Foundation Diploma in Art and Design)
BSc (Hons) in Computer Science (taken with eg BTEC Foundation Diploma in Computing)
FdA Business and Media Production (taken with an A level in Business)"

I'm not trying to steer to towards this course in particular, I'm just saying that the NCTJ Level 3 Certificate in Foundation Journalism doesn't really get you much, and you'd be better spending the time you'd study for that to do another full-year course at college, or use your current BTEC to join Journalism with a foundation year. The latter is more expensive, but gets you to uni faster.

You also mention an "internship/ apprenticeship"; I don't know enough those to be able to offer any advice, unfortunately.
Original post by DataVenia
OK. I still can't really work out what you're your taking, but I guess that's probably not too important. A Pearson BTEC Level 3 in Art and Design comes in many varieties, but the the only one with "Fashion" in the title is the Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Diploma in Fashion Design and Production, which is equivalent in size to two A Levels, and so worth up to 112 UCAS points. It therefore seems likely that you're taking the "regular" Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Foundation Diploma in Art and Design, which is equivalent in size to 1.5 A Levels and so worth up to 84 UCAS points, and are taking optional modules which focus on fashion (e.g. Unit 14 Textiles Materials, Techniques and Processes, or Unit 15 Fashion Materials, Techniques and Processes). As I say, that's probably not too important.
You write above about the "NCTJ level 3 certificate", by which I assume you mean the NCTJ Level 3 Certificate in Foundation Journalism. This is a fairly small qualification, worth just 16 UCAS points. According to the specification, "syllabus incorporates a programme of study that includes an estimated 150 hours guided learning". By way of comparison, a single GCSE is supposed to be about 120 guided learning hours (GLH) and an A level is supposed to be about 360 GLH. So spend a full year doing that, and nothing else, wouldn't seem terribly productive. Especially for just 16 UCAS points, even if it is directly relevant to your chosen career.
As you say, the 84 points from the BTEC and 16 points from the NCTJ certificate, for a maximum 110-point total won't be sufficient to meet Sunderland's requirements for their Fashion Journalism BA (Hons) course ("Our typical offer is 120 UCAS Tariff points, from a combination of acceptable Level 3 qualifications"). As a result, their Fashion Journalism with Integrated Foundation Year BA (Hons) ("Normally a minimum of three Level 2 qualifications (NVQ, GCSE, or equivalent), including maths and English language at grade C or above and a minimum of 40 UCAS Tariff points from Level 3 qualifications" might be a better option.
An alternative, which would save you a year of tuition fees (and the costs associated with living away from home, if that's what you'd be doing), would be to do another one-year BTEC. Perhaps something like a Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Foundation Diploma in Creative Digital Media Production? It's a 510 GLH course, is designed to be completed in a year, and contains some relevant units (e.g. Unit 17: News Production). On page 17 of the specification it even says:
"When combined with other qualifications within a two year study programme, such as AS/A levels or another BTEC National Foundation Diploma, learners can progress into higher education on full degree single or combined courses for example:
BA (Hons) in Fashion Journalism (taken with eg BTEC Foundation Diploma in Art and Design)
BSc (Hons) in Computer Science (taken with eg BTEC Foundation Diploma in Computing)
FdA Business and Media Production (taken with an A level in Business)"
I'm not trying to steer to towards this course in particular, I'm just saying that the NCTJ Level 3 Certificate in Foundation Journalism doesn't really get you much, and you'd be better spending the time you'd study for that to do another full-year course at college, or use your current BTEC to join Journalism with a foundation year. The latter is more expensive, but gets you to uni faster.
You also mention an "internship/ apprenticeship"; I don't know enough those to be able to offer any advice, unfortunately.

Do you think I could apply
To go to uni this year ? I’d be 17 when applying and I turn 18 next may, if I could get into the foundation course on the degree then it would probably feel more beneficial than doing another college year, I’m just so bored of it like I like the work don’t get me wrong but it’s too laid back but I hate exams if that makes sense where as the degree isn’t laid back but it’s not full of exams if that makes sense ,, what are the chances they would accept me at 17? With 74 ucas points
Do you think I could apply
To go to uni this year ? I’d be 17 when applying and I turn 18 next may, if I could get into the foundation course on the degree then it would probably feel more beneficial than doing another college year, I’m just so bored of it like I like the work don’t get me wrong but it’s too laid back but I hate exams if that makes sense where as the degree isn’t laid back but it’s not full of exams if that makes sense ,, what are the chances they would accept me at 17? With 74 ucas points

Ah. The age thing is going to be an issue. Having checked their Admissions Policy and Procedure Academic Year 2024/2025, I can see that it says:

"The University of Sunderland is committed to providing a safe and secure environment for all students and has a particular responsibility to safeguard the welfare of students who are under 18 years of age. All applicants must be 18 years of age before the end of their first term of study in the year of their enrolment."

So not turning 18 until May is going to be a deal-breaker. It looks like you'll need to wait a year. :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending