The Student Room Group

UK v US universities?

Which system do you think is better for undergrad? How about postgrad?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm slightly biased because I'm British but from what I've heard the UK university system is better. The US university system is very very expensive, even with scholarships. A UK university could offer you everything you would get in America for much cheaper (unless you want a sorority or frat lol)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not sure about post-grad but for UG they are both good. Honestly, if you ask US students they really like their liberal arts curriculum and if you ask UK students they like their focused studies. Both work in my opinion.
Original post by Okorange
Not sure about post-grad but for UG they are both good. Honestly, if you ask US students they really like their liberal arts curriculum and if you ask UK students they like their focused studies. Both work in my opinion.

Thanks how about uni life?
Well, if you went to a US uni, you'd be surrounded by bellends.
Original post by WoodyMKC

Canadian? :tongue:
Reply 6

HAHAHAHAHA I love you

Hahahah you really have something against Americans :tongue:
I would much rather prefer a UK uni
Original post by queen-bee
I would much rather prefer a UK uni

Why UK? :smile:
Original post by SwedishRedhead
Why UK? :smile:

The education system is better here and the price of studying in the U.S. Is just way too much.
The education system is better here and the price of studying in the U.S. Is just way too much.

Actually American public universities are now cheaper than British universities.
I prefer the education system in the UK to be honest - if I want to study a particular subject at university, then that's all I want. I don't want to take some other bull**** classes in other things I don't care about. Besides, as my colleague at work says, you can never really be a jack of trades nowadays so it's pointless doing a wide array of subjects at uni.

But I suppose if you want to hone your general knowledge, or whatever excuse they use for their education system, then go to america...
Original post by InadequateJusticex
I prefer the education system in the UK to be honest - if I want to study a particular subject at university, then that's all I want. I don't want to take some other bull**** classes in other things I don't care about. Besides, as my colleague at work says, you can never really be a jack of trades nowadays so it's pointless doing a wide array of subjects at uni.

But I suppose if you want to hone your general knowledge, or whatever excuse they use for their education system, then go to america...
Agreed - for example my brother is in his first year at a US university doing a 4-year course, paying international fees worth about $43k USD. For his first semester he has to take modules unrelated to his course, a mixture of arts, history, and science. This prolongs his studies by half a year - at a cost of more than $20k USD. To add insult to injury, as these modules are compulsory, they are very purposely dumbed down so that the majority of students will be able to understand the course; much of what my brother has learnt so far can be read on the internet, or was taught to him already in secondary school.

Not value for money indeed. But on the other hand, perhaps my brother is smarter than the average student over there - he mentioned a classmate in his biology class (who is a philosophy major) not understanding how oxygen is a gas and can form bubbles under water. Perhaps the most FML moment in my brother's life.
Original post by Bupdeeboowah
Agreed - for example my brother is in his first year at a US university doing a 4-year course, paying international fees worth about $43k USD. For his first semester he has to take modules unrelated to his course, a mixture of arts, history, and science. This prolongs his studies by half a year - at a cost of more than $20k USD. To add insult to injury, as these modules are compulsory, they are very purposely dumbed down so that the majority of students will be able to understand the course; much of what my brother has learnt so far can be read on the internet, or was taught to him already in secondary school.

Not value for money indeed. But on the other hand, perhaps my brother is smarter than the average student over there - he mentioned a classmate in his biology class (who is a philosophy major) not understanding how oxygen is a gas and can form bubbles under water. Perhaps the most FML moment in my brother's life.

kk cool story bro
Original post by Mihael_Keehl
kk cool story bro
Thank you! I do put in my best efforts in writing posts, you know.

uni life is bit different in the UK compared to the USA must mention at this point most of my information comes from TV and movies about American Collages so if I get anything very wrong I apologise.

one big differences is that Halls (dorms) are single residency (for the most part) which means you can study if you want without roommates bothering you.you can have sex without worrying about waking your roommates you can also get ensuite so no sharing of bathrooms. Also not all accommodation is on campus lots of uni halls are off campus often at least a 15 min walk away.

Social life is also quite different i that you can drink we also don't have greek houses (fraternitys and sororities) our sports clubs however are pretty inclusive and you can join even if you've never played before you don't even need to compete. we also have other clubs like radio or even a student TV station that people can join these often have socials so Frats are not needed and as I said you can drink.
Hahahah you really have something against Americans :tongue:

:lol: It's just bants :biggrin:
UK.

I've attended uni in both the UK and Canada. I would say uni life revolves more around drinking in the UK since the drinking age is 18. It is 19 in Canada which changes things a little but in the US most of college life revolves around house parties since the drinking age is 21.

Sports are a much bigger thing in North America than the UK. In North America, there are homecoming games and american football is usually a big event whereas it isn't in the UK.

Pre-meds in the US/Canada run a lot of the clubs and societies in NA (especially the charity, volunteering based ones) while in the UK its much more balanced in fact there are no such thing as premeds in the UK. This is because pre-meds are applying for medical school and often use these clubs to buff their CV.

Things also change a bit regarding housing as many US colleges have their students stay in residence for at least 2 if not 4 years of college while in the UK most students stay about 1-2 years in residence and move out later (Canada is similar to the UK in this regard).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending