The Student Room Group

Mathematics AS re-sit

Would you recommend re-sitting both Maths and Further Maths AS? As well as completing my Maths and Further A2 exams.
I know I have done very poorly in both my maths subjects really want to resit however idk if this is possible. And if anyone has resat maths AS that can give me some advice
Original post by itsbrittanybich
Would you recommend re-sitting both Maths and Further Maths AS? As well as completing my Maths and Further A2 exams.
I know I have done very poorly in both my maths subjects really want to resit however idk if this is possible. And if anyone has resat maths AS that can give me some advice

As you're mentioning A2, I presume this is International A Levels as opposed to UK A Levels.

This would then depend on your specific college that you attend. As far as I know, the exam boards have no problems with you resitting the exams.

I am not sure whether the universities would accept the resits though, so I would check the entry requirements of the degrees that you want to do before considering the resits.
I am in the UK. Why wouldn’t unis count the resit tho?
I am in the UK. Why wouldn’t unis count the resit tho?

That's interesting that you're in the UK. Are you doing IALs then?

Some universities have courses so competitive that they would only consider your first sitting for the exams as opposed to the actual grades. Typical examples would be for courses in medicine, dentistry, and vetinary science at top end universities.
As you're doing both math A Levels, I am not entirely sure whether your course would only accept resits (chances are you should be fine, but you should still check on the degree course pages' entry requirements - they should be explicit about resits)..
I’m not doing IALs in wales we call the first year AS and the Second year A2 this is across all welsh schools. And I’m not looking to go into top universities tbh I’m not sure if I’m actually going to go it uni. However I will still need to resit if I have any shot at doing an apprenticeship. Or maybe a degree apprenticeship
I’m not doing IALs in wales we call the first year AS and the Second year A2 this is across all welsh schools. And I’m not looking to go into top universities tbh I’m not sure if I’m actually going to go it uni. However I will still need to resit if I have any shot at doing an apprenticeship. Or maybe a degree apprenticeship

Then yeah, it's strongly recommended you resit your AS in both Maths subjects.

Before attempting the resits, what do you feel/think are the specific issues with your performance in both AS's? I wouldn't go straight into a resit without working on what you would need to change in your approach or level of skill, otherwise you're likely going to have similar outcomes (feel free to insert a quote by Einstein on his unqualified opinon on insanity).

If you want me to guide you through this (I've done A Level Maths and ended up with an A grade, and working through FM at the moment), give me an idea of what your approach was in your AS's.
The main reason why I’m certain I have failed maths is because I am very weak in mechanics and statistics. In the lessons I find it very easy to zone out and then after the lesson I wouldn’t revisit the work. Unlike in pure maths where I would spend hours a week going over past paper questions and exercises. That’s why I struggled. But I’m confident in my ability to improve my performance in mechanics and statistics because for the last 5 weeks of school where we started the year 13 work I would go home and go back over the question we did in lessons to make sure I was confident with them. I basically just need to even out my efforts as before I would only focus on one area of maths
The main reason why I’m certain I have failed maths is because I am very weak in mechanics and statistics. In the lessons I find it very easy to zone out and then after the lesson I wouldn’t revisit the work. Unlike in pure maths where I would spend hours a week going over past paper questions and exercises. That’s why I struggled. But I’m confident in my ability to improve my performance in mechanics and statistics because for the last 5 weeks of school where we started the year 13 work I would go home and go back over the question we did in lessons to make sure I was confident with them. I basically just need to even out my efforts as before I would only focus on one area of maths

Then I think you know what your approach needs to be.

I think the following videos would also help:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwvVuP96Xjc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TW-iMkF5iJw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7rs82MVL_0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKhsGzarHGU

Bicen Maths tends to do summary videos for both A Level Maths and Further Maths (for EdExcel though). You might find the videos and worksheets useful.
(edited 9 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest