The Student Room Group

Personal Statement help??

Hello all. I'm a maths student and I am terrible at writing. Could you please help me with a structure for my personal statement. I have an idea what I'm going to include but I don't know how to structure it. Could someone please help??
Original post by Jay_Gatsby123
Hello all. I'm a maths student and I am terrible at writing. Could you please help me with a structure for my personal statement. I have an idea what I'm going to include but I don't know how to structure it. Could someone please help??

Hello :smile:

One thing to remember when writing your personal statement is to avoiding beginning with a generic sentence which lots of people are likely to use, such as "I have been interested in (subject) from a young age" or "For as long as I can remember I have been fascinated with (subject)". Try to be a bit more imaginative so that you'll impress the admissions tutors from the outset.

A good way to structure your personal statement is to include paragraphs on each of the following:

- Why you want to study the course
- How your interests in your chosen subject have developed
- Ways in which your A Levels have helped prepare you for university study, e.g. doing powerpoint presentations has improved your public speaking skills.
- If you did A Levels which are related to the course you want to study, briefly mention which topics you enjoyed most and why
- Name and (if possible) demonstrate qualities you have which make you suitable for the course, e.g. patient, determined, flexible, hard-working, organised etc.
- Any relevant work experience / extra activities you take part in / EPQ

It's also a good idea to write a couple of sentences at the end describing what you hope to gain from attending university, e.g. enriching your knowledge of a certain subject, making yourself more attractive to employers by using your degree to develop useful skills etc.

As you have a limited number of lines and characters, it's important to keep your personal statement concise and try not to ramble about things which aren't relevant. When you're writing, also remember the purpose of the personal statement: to tell universities why they should choose you to be a student with them.

I hope you find these ideas helpful, and good luck with your application! :smile:
Original post by Leviathan1741
Hello :smile:

One thing to remember when writing your personal statement is to avoiding beginning with a generic sentence which lots of people are likely to use, such as "I have been interested in (subject) from a young age" or "For as long as I can remember I have been fascinated with (subject)". Try to be a bit more imaginative so that you'll impress the admissions tutors from the outset.

A good way to structure your personal statement is to include paragraphs on each of the following:

- Why you want to study the course
- How your interests in your chosen subject have developed
- Ways in which your A Levels have helped prepare you for university study, e.g. doing powerpoint presentations has improved your public speaking skills.
- If you did A Levels which are related to the course you want to study, briefly mention which topics you enjoyed most and why
- Name and (if possible) demonstrate qualities you have which make you suitable for the course, e.g. patient, determined, flexible, hard-working, organised etc.
- Any relevant work experience / extra activities you take part in / EPQ

It's also a good idea to write a couple of sentences at the end describing what you hope to gain from attending university, e.g. enriching your knowledge of a certain subject, making yourself more attractive to employers by using your degree to develop useful skills etc.

As you have a limited number of lines and characters, it's important to keep your personal statement concise and try not to ramble about things which aren't relevant. When you're writing, also remember the purpose of the personal statement: to tell universities why they should choose you to be a student with them.

I hope you find these ideas helpful, and good luck with your application! :smile:

This has been extremely helpful thank you so much :smile:
I'm hopeless at this kind of thing
Original post by Jay_Gatsby123
This has been extremely helpful thank you so much :smile:
I'm hopeless at this kind of thing

You're welcome :h:

Quick Reply

Latest