The Student Room Group

Any advice on personal statements for uni?

thanks for clicking onto my thread!
whenever im given advice on my personal statement for uni im always told what NOT to do like dont use cheesy quotes, dont start with 'from a young age' etc
taking that into consideration i have no idea how to even start my personal statement - so im a little stumped

to get into specifics i'm hoping to apply for psychology (bsc) for all my choices and thinking of applying to KCL as my first choice
any help/advice would be appreciated :smile:
(edited 9 months ago)
tbh just try and show your intrest as much as possible towards the course you want to do.
Hi,

Here's a blog from my uni, giving you lots of tips for writing your personal statement:
https://glyndwr.ac.uk/blog/posts/perfect-personal-statement/

I hope this helps and good luck :smile:

Victoria
- Wrexham Uni Rep
Original post by reggieeeee
thanks for clicking onto my thread!
whenever im given advice on my personal statement for uni im always told what NOT to do like dont use cheesy quotes, dont start with 'from a young age' etc
taking that into consideration i have no idea how to even start my personal statement - so im a little stumped

to get into specifics i'm hoping to apply for psychology (bsc) for all my choices and thinking of applying to KCL as my first choice
any help/advice would be appreciated :smile:

Hi!
I remember being really overwhelmed when I was starting my personal statement. What helped me was mind-mapping some ideas of my interests/skills before I even started typing up my first draft. I found that this made starting with a blank piece of paper a lot less intimidating. Once you have an idea about what to include you can start thinking about how to structure all the information. UCAS has some useful guides and a personal statement builder which is also really helpful: https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/applying-university/writing-your-personal-statement
As others have said the key thing to do is show your passion for your subject and how it fits with your strengths. You can talk about projects, work experience, any independent reading you've done or other super-curriculars.
If you attend any open days, either in person or online, they may have subject specific talks about writing your personal statement which can also be informative.
Hope this helps,
Becky
(Lancaster University Student Ambassador)
hey! I’ve firmed kings for psych and I personally started with a short anecdote at the start to make it more meaningful so if you’re thinking of doing that keep it short and informative & towards the end I added how the degree would aid in my future career choice hope this helps🩵

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending