The Student Room Group

Writing for 3 different courses

So I'm applying for PPE at Essex and Goldsmiths, Politics and Philosophy at Oxford Brookes and Philosophy at Roehampton and St.Mary's Twickenham.

How do I go about this? I was to talk about politics but I'm worried that this will put off the uni's whose courses don't actually include politics (obviously). Though, those two unis are both my fallbacks with the lowest entry requirements and 100% applicants receiving offers (according to Which? University). So should this be a worry?

Also I'm worried about talking about personal political and ideological views. If I do will this put them off or make me look better amongst the crowd?

Thanks
Reply 1
Talk about political philosophy! That way you cover politics (and possibly economics), but it's still about philosophy. So big government vs. small government, taxation, political liberties etc.
Original post by JudahS
So I'm applying for PPE at Essex and Goldsmiths, Politics and Philosophy at Oxford Brookes and Philosophy at Roehampton and St.Mary's Twickenham.

How do I go about this? I was to talk about politics but I'm worried that this will put off the uni's whose courses don't actually include politics (obviously). Though, those two unis are both my fallbacks with the lowest entry requirements and 100% applicants receiving offers (according to Which? University). So should this be a worry?

Also I'm worried about talking about personal political and ideological views. If I do will this put them off or make me look better amongst the crowd?

Thanks

Write a PPE statement. That means covering all 3 subjects but is likely to be acceptable for the 2 none PPE courses if they don't offer PPE.
Original post by JudahS

Hello,
I currently study at the University of Essex so if you have any questions please feel free to ask.
Natalie.
Reply 4
Original post by Natalie.1
Hello,
I currently study at the University of Essex so if you have any questions please feel free to ask.
Natalie.

I do have a few questions

Do/did you stay in halls, if so, where? or where would you recommend?
How diverse is it? Do you enjoy living there? (assuming you didn't already)
I'm very into my music too, is there a decent music scene?

Thank you!
Original post by JudahS
I do have a few questions

Do/did you stay in halls, if so, where? or where would you recommend?
How diverse is it? Do you enjoy living there? (assuming you didn't already)
I'm very into my music too, is there a decent music scene?

Thank you!

Hello,

I don't stay in halls, I rent a flat near the main train station in Colchester (I'm from the local area so don't mind travelling a bit further to uni). But lots of my friends lived in halls last year so I can give you some advice on them! If you like partying I would recommend the towers as the flats have lots of people in them. The towers are also the cheapest accommodation but aren't the most modern. If you don't really feel like partying I would recommend South Courts, they are modern with smaller numbers of housemates and are close to the towers if you do fancy a flat party. If you don't mind walking a bit further to get to your lectures I would say The Meadows or The Quays. The Meadows are set out more like houses so have a community feel and The Quays are set out like flats. The Quays aren't on campus but are about a 10 minute to get to the main parts of campus so isn't far at all! I personally would recommend South Courts if you could afford it but it depends how important an en suite is to you :smile:
The University of Essex is really diverse! I did already live in Colchester (which is quite diverse) but being at university there is students and lecturers from all over the world. It's great to get to learn about different cultures and go to all the events on campus.
The pubs in Colchester are a great place to listen to live music from local bands but for bigger bands there is Colchester Arts Centre. It's a really great venue for music but also for comedy as well. The Arts Centre is a converted church so it's really atmospheric and does often have quite big bands playing.
If you did want to travel to London for gigs which I quite regularly do the train is just under an hour to get into London.

Feel to ask anything else or ask me to go into detail more about anything!
Natalie.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending