The Student Room Group
School of Oriental and African Studies
London

SOAS - MA Social Anthropology - Urgent questions

Hi!
I'd like to apply for this MA in Social Anthropology but I have some concerns right now. I hope some current/former students can kindly share their views on these matters:

1. I don't have an undergraduate degree relating to sociology or anthropology, as I studied something else (law). Would it be difficult for me to catch-up or do you think this MA is suitable for me as a conversion course?

2. In the course modules list (URL of the page below), it says we should choose 3 modules from List A and B. So if I decide to choose all 3 modules from List A and zero modules (none) from List B, then that's still permissible, right? However, does this mean my MA will be less wholesome (or less attractive for a future career) because I didn't choose any module related to an ethnographic location (region)?

3. Which ethnographic location (region) module did you choose for your MA, if any, and why? I might need some inspiration for this, that's why I'm asking.

4. Thinking about your own MA experience, what would have you done differently right from the start (or before your MA course started)? I'm an old person and I really need to minimise any risks/mistakes.

Thank you very much!

URL:
https://www.soas.ac.uk/study/find-course/ma-social-anthropology
Reply 1
Thanks for approving my post, TSR.
Keeping it anonymous because I'm quite shy about this application process.
School of Oriental and African Studies
London
Reply 2
Monday
Original post by Anonymous
Hi!
I'd like to apply for this MA in Social Anthropology but I have some concerns right now. I hope some current/former students can kindly share their views on these matters:

1. I don't have an undergraduate degree relating to sociology or anthropology, as I studied something else (law). Would it be difficult for me to catch-up or do you think this MA is suitable for me as a conversion course?

2. In the course modules list (URL of the page below), it says we should choose 3 modules from List A and B. So if I decide to choose all 3 modules from List A and zero modules (none) from List B, then that's still permissible, right? However, does this mean my MA will be less wholesome (or less attractive for a future career) because I didn't choose any module related to an ethnographic location (region)?

3. Which ethnographic location (region) module did you choose for your MA, if any, and why? I might need some inspiration for this, that's why I'm asking.

4. Thinking about your own MA experience, what would have you done differently right from the start (or before your MA course started)? I'm an old person and I really need to minimise any risks/mistakes.

Thank you very much!

URL:
https://www.soas.ac.uk/study/find-course/ma-social-anthropology

I don't think this is a problem at all. I come from a biology background and I really do feel like they design the course in a way where its suitable for people who don't have much of a background in the social sciences. However if you are coming from a SocAnth bachelors degree you'll still be challenged and learn new things and you can choose modules that will take your understanding further.

I think starting anything new is challenging and it might take a moment for you to get use to writing in an anthropological style, but you'll do great so long as you try to work through the readings and the further readings, stay engaged with the course material and try to challenge yourself. Also the anthro department usually sets up a writing workshop just before the first essays are due which is really helpful and the university itself runs workshops on writing essays throughout the year.

I checked with the Anthro department and that's correct. You do not need to take any modules from list B you can take them all from list A if you like.

I think its about your own interests and career aspirations. Throughout the modules in List A you will be learning about things from different social, cultural and geographic perspectives. However One of the "traditions" of Anthropology is ethnography. So if you do see yourself doing ethnographic research in one of these regions you might want to consider starting to build a nuanced understanding of the region your interested in via one of these modules.

Back in my day (two years ago) picking a region wasn't an option, they just didn't have regional options. I think I might have cried if someone made me pick one because they all sound really good. If you do not have research ambitions/in any of these area's then what might be an option is taking the one you think you might be the most interested in but then auditing one of the others (you will need to ask the module convener for permission to audit). If after the first week/during the second week of lectures you find you are more interested in the one you are auditing then you can drop the one you enrolled in and enroll in the module you were only auditing.

I think I would have been stuck between Near and Middle East and Sub-Saharan Africa, but in the end I might have chosen the Near and middle East module.

Tough question, maybe doing more general reading of newspaper articles from all over the world? Something that helps to make theory meaningful is being able to contextualise it. Not just context in the sense of 'your own idea of what the world is like'. But with and understanding that each of the different perspectives of what happened, what is happening, and what might happen come from somewhere and play a role in identity, nationalism, gender, labour, justice and the everyday experience of people (which is a key aspect of Anthropology). I also think reading more just helps build up your ability to read a lot which you will need for this degree.

I would also read more fiction, Nation by Terry Pratchett, The buried giant by Kazuo Ishiguro and The Seven Moons of Maali Almeida by Shehan Karunatilaka are some of my favourite fictions to read for anthropology at the moment

Hope this helps

- Monica (MA Social Anthropology student)
Reply 5
Original post by SOAS Official Student Rep One

I don't think this is a problem at all. I come from a biology background and I really do feel like they design the course in a way where its suitable for people who don't have much of a background in the social sciences. However if you are coming from a SocAnth bachelors degree you'll still be challenged and learn new things and you can choose modules that will take your understanding further.

I think starting anything new is challenging and it might take a moment for you to get use to writing in an anthropological style, but you'll do great so long as you try to work through the readings and the further readings, stay engaged with the course material and try to challenge yourself. Also the anthro department usually sets up a writing workshop just before the first essays are due which is really helpful and the university itself runs workshops on writing essays throughout the year.

I checked with the Anthro department and that's correct. You do not need to take any modules from list B you can take them all from list A if you like.

I think its about your own interests and career aspirations. Throughout the modules in List A you will be learning about things from different social, cultural and geographic perspectives. However One of the "traditions" of Anthropology is ethnography. So if you do see yourself doing ethnographic research in one of these regions you might want to consider starting to build a nuanced understanding of the region your interested in via one of these modules.

Back in my day (two years ago) picking a region wasn't an option, they just didn't have regional options. I think I might have cried if someone made me pick one because they all sound really good. If you do not have research ambitions/in any of these area's then what might be an option is taking the one you think you might be the most interested in but then auditing one of the others (you will need to ask the module convener for permission to audit). If after the first week/during the second week of lectures you find you are more interested in the one you are auditing then you can drop the one you enrolled in and enroll in the module you were only auditing.

I think I would have been stuck between Near and Middle East and Sub-Saharan Africa, but in the end I might have chosen the Near and middle East module.

Tough question, maybe doing more general reading of newspaper articles from all over the world? Something that helps to make theory meaningful is being able to contextualise it. Not just context in the sense of 'your own idea of what the world is like'. But with and understanding that each of the different perspectives of what happened, what is happening, and what might happen come from somewhere and play a role in identity, nationalism, gender, labour, justice and the everyday experience of people (which is a key aspect of Anthropology). I also think reading more just helps build up your ability to read a lot which you will need for this degree.

I would also read more fiction, Nation by Terry Pratchett, The buried giant by Kazuo Ishiguro and The Seven Moons of Maali Almeida by Shehan Karunatilaka are some of my favourite fictions to read for anthropology at the moment

Hope this helps

- Monica (MA Social Anthropology student)

Thank you very much for your answers, Monica. I appreciate the time and the efforts you took (including checking with the department). After a whole week of struggling to write a suitable supporting statement and banging my head on the wall (figuratively) for not reading enough, I am reconsidering a few things, including whether or not I should apply at all this year, and whether or not it should be full-time as I had imagined earlier. Anyway, it's great to know you're doing it part-time and enjoying the course.
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you very much for your answers, Monica. I appreciate the time and the efforts you took (including checking with the department). After a whole week of struggling to write a suitable supporting statement and banging my head on the wall (figuratively) for not reading enough, I am reconsidering a few things, including whether or not I should apply at all this year, and whether or not it should be full-time as I had imagined earlier. Anyway, it's great to know you're doing it part-time and enjoying the course.

Hey,

I'm sorry to hear you were having a tough time with your application. Writing a personal statement and preparing for something new is almost never a walk in the park and even just starting is a big step. I hope you're giving yourself the credit you deserve and being kind to yourself during the process of it all!

Full-time is fun and a great experience most people on my course studied full-time. However if you have the time and the resources and it doesn't conflict with your career/future plans I personally recommend considering part-time. The course is so enjoyable and there is so much to learn that - I just really liked having the time to soak in the readings and what I was learning. Of course its possible to do that with the full-time course. But part-time gave me a little bit more time to think about my dissertation, get my bearings and develop my interests a little more.

Let me know if you have any more questions and if you're feeling shy about the application feel free to PM me here or message me on Unibuddy!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending