The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by julesaquilina
How similar are the kaplan mocks to the real thing??

By the looks of what people have said and my experience of Kaplan, the QR is much easier (though this difficulty varies with Kaplan mocks), the VR is harder and AR is on par/slightly harder.
Original post by agahaga
Undergrad
My other stats are 9A* 1A and GCSE and predicted AAAA at AS (results day on Thursday)

For undergraduate that's a good score. The only thing that may cause an issue is the SJT. I got the same band, albeit for grad entry. What I did was go through the available courses and check requirements regarding SJT. Some places don't use it, or they don't place much emphasis on it. Your academic profile is strong (fingers crossed for Thursday!), so keep an eye out for schools that value that aspect.
Original post by natalia.medicine
Congratulations!!!!! :h::grouphugs:How did it go?

Original post by Uni12345678
Awesome! :smile: how was it?

Original post by Charms tee
Yeah come on suspense is killing me😄

Original post by Charms tee
What was your score

@Gogregg In response to your PM

Bad news: Verbal Reasoning was terrible :colonhash:
Good news: I brought the average down :biggrin:
Score: Lower than I expected... (Guess :colondollar: )

To all those on Medify, it's a flipping lifesaver :love: . Keep working.
To those who aren't, do the official mocks.

All the best :hugs:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by raniafern

How is the difficulty for each section compared to Medify?
Is AR in the real thing more similar to isc or medify?🤔🤔, isc is crazy hard, can barely get any, but getting am more right on medify
Original post by Jordan674
Is AR in the real thing more similar to isc or medify?🤔🤔, isc is crazy hard, can barely get any, but getting am more right on medify

the AR in the actual exam has many dependant patterns (more than just one simple pattern in one set) so be careful of this. (I learned this the hard way:s-smilie:) I would say however that the difficulty is not as bad as isc.
Original post by Athos
I'm using Medify at the minute and its absolute gold. I did some mocks on ukcat website, and the questions on medify were spot on similar. I tried the medportal one but it was slow, clunky, and was prone to errors (either it crashed, or system took its sweet time to churn out results). Also their questions were slightly off for me

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok, thank you very much.
Original post by Athos
Which books did u use? Which ones u finding useful? And u doing any courses at all?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not doing a course, don't think it will be helpful. I'm using the medic portal book, the Kaplan book, the isc 600qs book, and I don't know what the others are sorry (I returned them to the library).

hey well done :smile:
I was just wondering, out of kaplan, medify, and the official tests, which resource is closest to the real thing? I find the official tests extremely difficult and medify is fine for me, kaplan is somewhere in the middle... what do you think is closest to the real thing and specifically which resource do you think is best for each individual question?

also sorry to bother you with so many questions but did you get you result for decision making? Is there any point doing that section properly or can you just guess the whole thing?

Original post by jordan674
is ar in the real thing more similar to isc or medify?🤔🤔, isc is crazy hard, can barely get any, but getting am more right on medify

i need to know the answer to this too! :smile:
Original post by Candy2511
the AR in the actual exam has many dependant patterns (more than just one simple pattern in one set) so be careful of this. (I learned this the hard way:s-smilie:) I would say however that the difficulty is not as bad as isc.

Thanks for the reply😁, have you any tips for QR?🤔, i havent done maths since GCSE, and i'm finding QR so hard to do
I got 620 in UKCAT A's mock. Not sure how I feel about that :/

Damn, sad to hear it :hugs:
Will you be taking the BMAT, then? Maybe join me in applying to BSMS? :biggrin:
Good luck for the future though! :h:
Original post by Gogregg
Damn, sad to hear it :hugs:
Will you be taking the BMAT, then? Maybe join me in applying to BSMS? :biggrin:
Good luck for the future though! :h:

Nah, I've had enough stress for a lifetime! I'm not thinking about any other tests at the moment.
You're applying to BSMS? A freidn of mine is goin there this year. Wow, I thought you had a high UKCAT, so wouldn't bother with BMAT!
Original post by Jordan674
Thanks for the reply😁, have you any tips for QR?🤔, i havent done maths since GCSE, and i'm finding QR so hard to do

the QR in the exam mainly consists of tables, graphs, pie charts and speed/distance/time calculations.
I would say brush up on reading values off a pie chart if you are not too familiar.. also make sure you are comfortable using the keyboard for the calculator, the shortcuts especially save a lot of time. overall don't worry too much about it, isc and the official mocks (mock a in particular) are a lot harder when it comes to QR.. good luck!:biggrin:
Nah, I've had enough stress for a lifetime! I'm not thinking about any other tests at the moment.
You're applying to BSMS? A freidn of mine is goin there this year. Wow, I thought you had a high UKCAT, so wouldn't bother with BMAT!

Can't blame you! :lol:
Yeah, i think i probably will, is such a nice place and the course seems fantastic!
I guess i should probably make the most of my high UKCAT, but I guess these places just attract me the most :colondollar:
I'll definitely have to do more thinking about it, though :u:
Where you thinking?
Original post by Talisia13
My test is tomorrow too! I'm SO nervous

Good luck, the VR is an absolute shitstorm, but QR and AR are sound x
Original post by Candy2511
the QR in the exam mainly consists of tables, graphs, pie charts and speed/distance/time calculations.
I would say brush up on reading values off a pie chart if you are not too familiar.. also make sure you are comfortable using the keyboard for the calculator, the shortcuts especially save a lot of time. overall don't worry too much about it, isc and the official mocks (mock a in particular) are a lot harder when it comes to QR.. good luck!:biggrin:

Thank you so much😁
Original post by Gogregg
Can't blame you! :lol:
Yeah, i think i probably will, is such a nice place and the course seems fantastic!
I guess i should probably make the most of my high UKCAT, but I guess these places just attract me the most :colondollar:
I'll definitely have to do more thinking about it, though :u:
Where you thinking?

What was your UKCAT score, by the way?
What was your UKCAT score, by the way?

2360 Band 1
(787 average) :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending