The Student Room Group

Afrikaans courses

Hi Guys,

I know that in my sig it says that I’m not going to Uni, but if I was to find an Afrikaans course I might consider. I would hope to apply for it for next year or the year after. In the mean time my girlfriend is teaching me it, and while we are travelling on our Gap Year that is the only language she will speak to me. Therefore I hope to become fairly fluent in the 6 months of travelling. (Is this possible?:confused: I hope so!)

So if there are any Afrikaans courses that you can find please post away! (Preferably London but if any others just post anyway!)

Thanks,
Ben
Reply 1
Check out SOAS. I don't know if they do Afrikaans specifically, but they do lots of African languages. And they're in London.
Bennyboy65
Hi Guys,

I know that in my sig it says that I’m not going to Uni, but if I was to find an Afrikaans course I might consider. I would hope to apply for it for next year or the year after. In the mean time my girlfriend is teaching me it, and while we are travelling on our Gap Year that is the only language she will speak to me. Therefore I hope to become fairly fluent in the 6 months of travelling. (Is this possible?:confused: I hope so!)

So if there are any Afrikaans courses that you can find please post away! (Preferably London but if any others just post anyway!)

Thanks,
Ben

http://www.soas.ac.uk/languagecentre/resroom/docs/African%20Languages.pdf

that might be useful
Reply 3
SOAS just seems so amazing. I kind of wish I'd applied there. They don't seem to do Afrikaans to degree level, though.
Reply 4
burntgorilla
SOAS just seems so amazing. I kind of wish I'd applied there. They don't seem to do Afrikaans to degree level, though.

Yea i noticed that. Seems really good and i might do it to top up my Afrikaans after learning it myself. But is there also anywhere that does it to degree level?

Thanks everyone for your help so far,
I'm loving the people on this forum:biggrin: :tsr2: :love:
Reply 5
I don't really know much about this myself, although I think you'll struggle to find a degree course in the language because of it not being a common language for people to study. I really just wanted to say I think it's an awesome language and go you for learning it, a lot of African languages (particularly Afrikaans and Zulu I find) have a nice friendly sound to them.

But I'd have thought if you and your girlfriend are only going to be speaking that for 6 months then you'll have a really good knowledge in it fairly fast.
Reply 6
Just went on UCAS course search and no university seems to have an actual "Afrikaans" degree, sorry. The nearest thing I can find is African Studies at Birmingham, which seems to have no language component, and SOAS' African Studies or African Language and Culture (Hausa and Swahili only I'm afraid), although you may still find these courses interesting?
Reply 7
paddy
Just went on UCAS course search and no university seems to have an actual "Afrikaans" degree, sorry. The nearest thing I can find is African Studies at Birmingham, which seems to have no language component, and SOAS' African Studies or African Language and Culture (Hausa and Swahili only I'm afraid), although you may still find these courses interesting?

Thanks for the help anyway. This sucks if there aren't! Oh well, i'll try my best to become fluent with my gf and then maybe i can start a new language!:biggrin:

I just have a passion for languages now!:biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending