The Student Room Group

Should I drop Ecos???

I'm looking to potentially drop economics for either accounting or afrikaans (a local language which I am fluent in), or just continue doing economics if its more beneficial.
I am mainly worried about the credibility of accounting as a subject, especially for the more desirable universities (Ivy League/Russell Group). I already have three respected subjects as core a levels (math, further math and physics) and do Afrikaans AS and English IGCSE, but I don't know if it would be helpful to take another strong subject instead of accounting (which is apparently considered a soft subject)?

I'm looking to study either engineering, b-com/CA, or actuarial sciences, and I'm trying to maximise my chances to get into one of these top universities.

Another problem I am worried about is whether or not such universities would be put off by my subject variety, because they all have major maths components and are not as language based, do you think that this will be an issue?

I was also wondering whether I should take Afrikaans as a core A level, because I'm already taking it as an AS and it would increase my chances of a top mark and would be a language subject (better variety). My worries are that it might be even less credible due to the few people who take the course and that it might be an issue if I'm looking to get into a b-com course without accounting/ecos. I'm basically wondering whether or not unis would see it as something favourable, and whether it rules out a possible b-com at a top uni.

Most importantly!!
Ecos or accounting and why? (given my preferred universities and courses)

I would appreciate any help!
(edited 1 month ago)
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
Regardless of how beneficial each one is, which subjects do you actually enjoy? Do you like doing economics? If so, there is no reason to really drop it, and it can help open plenty of doors.

Quick Reply

Latest