The Student Room Group

UCL Work Experience Form

Hi, I am in the process of filling in the Work Experience form that UCL request for medicine, and was wondering what exactly comes under the heading of 'Work Experience'. For example, I took part in a Cambridge Uni Surgical Society day last year, so am I meant to include that? And do shadowing placements also come under this heading?
(In the email it says 'You can include any relevant paid work or voluntary placements' which sounds more like it's just the volunteering side to me, so I'm a bit unsure)
Thank you!
Reply 1
Original post by ForeverDay
Hi, I am in the process of filling in the Work Experience form that UCL request for medicine, and was wondering what exactly comes under the heading of 'Work Experience'. For example, I took part in a Cambridge Uni Surgical Society day last year, so am I meant to include that? And do shadowing placements also come under this heading?
(In the email it says 'You can include any relevant paid work or voluntary placements' which sounds more like it's just the volunteering side to me, so I'm a bit unsure)
Thank you!

Shadowing or any kind of experience where you are in a hospital, GP or other healthcare practice and are taking in your surroundings and the work of a doctor, nurse, or other healthcare professional would be included under the heading 'work experience'. What exactly did you do on the surgical society day? Was there exposure to seeing how doctors work? If so that would come under that heading.

My understanding from them including "include any relevant paid work or voluntary placements" is that they also want you to include things like 1) volunteering in a hospital, 2) paid work in a hospital etc. so you're not constrained to only putting in pure "I had 1 weeks worth of shadowing a GP" but you can also put in "I volunteered as a hospital volunteer for 3 months helping out the nurses...."
Reply 2
Original post by Beska
Shadowing or any kind of experience where you are in a hospital, GP or other healthcare practice and are taking in your surroundings and the work of a doctor, nurse, or other healthcare professional would be included under the heading 'work experience'. What exactly did you do on the surgical society day? Was there exposure to seeing how doctors work? If so that would come under that heading.

My understanding from them including "include any relevant paid work or voluntary placements" is that they also want you to include things like 1) volunteering in a hospital, 2) paid work in a hospital etc. so you're not constrained to only putting in pure "I had 1 weeks worth of shadowing a GP" but you can also put in "I volunteered as a hospital volunteer for 3 months helping out the nurses...."

Thank you! There was a talk on surgery as a career from an ENT surgeon, I tried suturing and there was a Q&A with current medical students on the surgical day, so I think I might as well put it in?
I also went to a neuroscience symposium the other year, is that worthwhile to put in? The lectures were quite specific (ie one on how to perform a certain sort of brain surgery) so not totally relevant, but I just want to try show them that I have done different sorts of things to explore it.
I haven't received this work experience form? Isn't it only selected candidates or are we all required to do it?
Thank you!

Hi when did they send this out? :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by silverskyx
Hi when did they send this out? :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got it send to my email address on the 16th of October. It might just be random 'spot checking' of candidates or you might need to check your spam folder?
I got it send to my email address on the 16th of October. It might just be random 'spot checking' of candidates or you might need to check your spam folder?

Oh dear I haven't gotten it! Not sure if it's a bad thing hmm was it together or separate from the interview email?
Reply 7
Original post by silverskyx
Oh dear I haven't gotten it! Not sure if it's a bad thing hmm was it together or separate from the interview email?

It was separate from the 'Selection process and interviews at UCL medical school' email, and came from a different email address. But, like I said, it might just be randomly selected.

EDIT: Also, maybe check on the UCL application portal thing, as I logged in there, clicked 'view' on the medicine course, and then had a notification saying 'You have been emailed with a request to upload additional information. Please go to the ‘Upload Documents’ link above.' If you haven't got that, I guess you don't have to do it.
(edited 8 years ago)
It was separate from the 'Selection process and interviews at UCL medical school' email, and came from a different email address. But, like I said, it might just be randomly selected.

EDIT: Also, maybe check on the UCL application portal thing, as I logged in there, clicked 'view' on the medicine course, and then had a notification saying 'You have been emailed with a request to upload additional information. Please go to the ‘Upload Documents’ link above.' If you haven't got that, I guess you don't have to do it.

Yeah they do that work experience check with some applicants, but didn't know you had to fill in your form about what you did
Reply 9
Original post by helloravers
Yeah they do that work experience check with some applicants, but didn't know you had to fill in your form about what you did

I was checking over the 'UCL Medicine applicants thread 2015' yesterday, and it looks like they did the same last year, with some people getting a work experience check, and some people getting a UMS/grades check so I think if you didn't get the email you're fine.
I was checking over the 'UCL Medicine applicants thread 2015' yesterday, and it looks like they did the same last year, with some people getting a work experience check, and some people getting a UMS/grades check so I think if you didn't get the email you're fine.

Portico is down now so I guess I'll have to wait till Monday to check! It's a good thing anyway I don't have work experience :>

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending