The Student Room Group

The Cricket Society IV

Scroll to see replies

India beat Sri Lanka by 317 runs - the biggest-ever winning margin in a one-day international - to seal a 3-0 series win on Sunday.

India 390-5 (50 overs): Kohli 166*, Gill 116, Rohit 42; Rajitha 2-81
Sri Lanka 73 (22 overs): Fernando 19; Siraj 4-32

Just glad it's not Bangladesh getting all the unwanted records these days!
Interesting first day of the Ashes yesterday - I would probably say Australia edged it, 400 would have been good but nice attacking intent from Stokes, probably conscious of the Day 3 forecast. Early wicket needed today. Umpiring wasn’t amazing yesterday imo.
Original post by rockrunride
Interesting first day of the Ashes yesterday - I would probably say Australia edged it, 400 would have been good but nice attacking intent from Stokes, probably conscious of the Day 3 forecast. Early wicket needed today. Umpiring wasn’t amazing yesterday imo.

bad idea to declare so early
Original post by billawarra
bad idea to declare so early

Yeah in hindsight bad. Pity the entire series is pretty much over now given yesterday’s conclusion.
(edited 9 months ago)
Original post by rockrunride
Yeah in hindsight bad. Pity the entire series is pretty much over now given yesterday’s conclusion.

What do you mean by “in hindsight”. It was a terrible decision by Stokes in the first place. There was no reasonable justification for choosing to declare on day 1 in the 1st innings.

Then I saw on Twitter a bunch of boomers in the long room acting like hooligans in the long room towards the Australian players. Not a great look.
Shakib Al Hasan is Undisputed Goat 🐐
Original post by Driving_Mad
What do you mean by “in hindsight”. It was a terrible decision by Stokes in the first place. There was no reasonable justification for choosing to declare on day 1 in the 1st innings.

Then I saw on Twitter a bunch of boomers in the long room acting like hooligans in the long room towards the Australian players. Not a great look.

I mean the way it went down on the final day, reasonably you'd expect to pick up two wickets rather than your tourists getting sixty.
Original post by Mackay
... and SA win by seven wickets. Van der Dussen ends the innings unbeaten once again, which means that his average, across 15 ODI innings, is now 78. It’s the highest average of all players to have played at least as many ODI innings, ever, ahead of Ryan ten Doeschate’s 67 and Virat Kohli’s comparatively dreadful 59.85. VDD posted 37 unbeaten with Smuts 7 unbeaten after Root bowled de Kock for 107, Bairstow took Hendricks for 6 off Woakes, and Bavuma was trapped by Jordan on 98.

This aged well. Kohli still averages 57.5 despite having a dreadful slump of form from 2020-2022. He started the World Cup well with 85 against Australia after they were left 2-3, and then got another unbeaten half-century today. What a player! Van Der Dussen still averaging high with 58.5.
Original post by Zerforax
India beat Sri Lanka by 317 runs - the biggest-ever winning margin in a one-day international - to seal a 3-0 series win on Sunday.

India 390-5 (50 overs): Kohli 166*, Gill 116, Rohit 42; Rajitha 2-81
Sri Lanka 73 (22 overs): Fernando 19; Siraj 4-32

Just glad it's not Bangladesh getting all the unwanted records these days!

And yesterday almost beat them by as much - 302 runs in the world cup i beleive
Original post by Chakede
And yesterday almost beat them by as much - 302 runs in the world cup i beleive

I haven't been watching but from reading the scores what I've realised is that Kohli may be the greatest to ever do it.
Hard to look past India and South Africa for this tournament.

Probably Australia and New Zealand to make up the semi-final list. However Afganistan deserve a lot of praise for how well they have performed. The Dutch have also done better than most expected I imagine.

England have been awful as defending champions. Bangladesh will be disappointed to not make more of a battle of it. Sri Lanka looks miles away from where they were a decade ago.
Original post by Zerforax
Hard to look past India and South Africa for this tournament.

Probably Australia and New Zealand to make up the semi-final list. However Afganistan deserve a lot of praise for how well they have performed. The Dutch have also done better than most expected I imagine.

England have been awful as defending champions. Bangladesh will be disappointed to not make more of a battle of it. Sri Lanka looks miles away from where they were a decade ago.

unless they change things in the last couple of games, england will finish 2nd from bottom and therefore not qualify for the next Champions trophy tournament
Both Afghanistan and Pakistan winning today has also made it interesting for the 4th place qualifier
Original post by Chakede
unless they change things in the last couple of games, england will finish 2nd from bottom and therefore not qualify for the next Champions trophy tournament
Both Afghanistan and Pakistan winning today has also made it interesting for the 4th place qualifier

What is the Champions trophy tournament?
I enjoyed India bottling the final against Australia :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest