The Student Room Group

The Cricket Society IV

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1680
Australia end the ODI series with another victory, and it was a real team bowling performance from them, with each bowler chipping in with at least one wicket.

Starc helped himself to three, to emphasise again just how dangerous he has been with the ball on this subcontinent tour, and Zampa bagged a pair.

SL lost wickets in clusters after a very promising first wicket stand, and their total of 190 was never going to be enough.

The tourists got themselves over the line with seven overs remaining, thanks largely to David Warner, who strengthened his white-ball captaincy credentials even further with 106 from 125 balls.

After SL suffered three mini-collapses, Warner's 132-run third-wicket stand with George Bailey won the match for the Aussies ahead of the T20 clashes.

Khawaja didn't do his reputation any favours - yet again - but Warner has become integral to Australia. His leadership is excellent.*
Reply 1681
Pakistan do well to avoid the whitewash and pick up a solitary white-ball victory over England in the final ODI of the series. All eyes on the T20s now.

England and Pakistan both shuffled the deck, so you can't read too much into it really, but my God, Sarfraz is a talent. The best wicket-keeper-batsman in the world? I'd wager so. His 90 from 73 balls was excellent, and helped the tourists overcome an England total which was probably 20 runs light.

I mentioned earlier how I thought 303 was enough, but Pakistan achieved it with four wickets and 10 balls to spare. England's bowlers struggled, in truth, with the decision not to deploy a couple of spinners something Pakistan really took advantage of. Dawson did OK (especially when removing the two Pakistani batsmen who were taking the game away from the hosts), but his figures of 8-0-70-2 aren't headline-worthy, whereas Rashid/Moeen have consistently delivered match-winning contributions.

Mohammad Rizwan and Imad Wasim did well to get the visitors over the line after Nawaz was dismissed by that clever Bairstow run-out, and England were made to rue losing 5 wickets for just 64 runs in their innings. You get a sense that, had either Roy or Stokes been able to convert into a hundred, the result may have been different.

Sarfraz and Malik will take the plaudits - and rightly so - after posting Pakistan's first century partnership of the series. It was particularly pleasing to see Imad - a Wales-born Pakistani - playing in front of a home crowd, and also that outrageous catch in the crowd to win the spectator a holiday.

Another really good day of entertaining cricket, though admittedly without the mammoth totals of some previous matches. I hope the T20s are just as good.

A shame for England that they couldn't go the whole white-ball summer unbeaten, and end the series with a whitewash, but full credit to Pakistan.
Promising displays from some of the inexperienced, younger, Pakistan players - Hasan's variety, composure of Rizwan, Babar, Imad with the bat (scored at a good scoring rate but need to learn on converting starts into big scores), Sharjeel is raw but the need to work on his off-side game is glaring so there are some avenues to build on and some of the aforementioned guys have an aggressive attitude which is refreshing to witness.

For the blokes who need to go then it's Hafeez, Malik and Gul. Ali must have got confused and thought Gul was the bowler of 2009 hence why he gave him the last over instead of Amir; Hafeez should be eased out with his woeful form and issues over his bowling but as he's cushy with the captain, he might get more time; likewise with Malik, his knock in a dead game means he will have solidified his place until the next World Cup! As usual, Wasim was praising his experience before he produced an unnecessary shot to put his team under pressure.

Not even got to Sarfaraz but just a sad indictment on the selection process for Pakistan that he wasn't identified in the days we had to suffer with the bumbling Akmals as keepers! Such a rock to the team on and off the pitch. Hope his audition as T20 captain gives the hierarchy the encouragement to consider him in future captaincy appointments.

For England, I would have played Rashid and Plunkett, resting Ali and Woakes respectively. But credit to them for making it into a good climax, they are really in pole position to become a consistent force in this format if they re-produce in the winter tours.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1683
It's amazing that - while Stokes is obviously such a talent - today's score was his highest since January 2014, against Australia. He needs to fire more on the big stage, especially in white-ball cricket, and you can probably argue that Morgan needs to offer more too.

But England have a very good squad - and it is a squad. Realistically, there's 16 or 17 players who can slot into the side and not make it any worse. The squad is pretty interchangeable, and the bowling depth is astonishing, as well as a very long tail.

You'd probably say Dawson didn't do himself any favours today - regardless of those two wickets. With the subcontinent tours coming, there's a chance to stamp a mark on the squad for the spinners, but he failed to do so.
Reply 1684
First foray back into the T20 arena for some England players tomorrow - namely Root and Stokes - and it'll be intriguing to see how they go at Old Trafford, especially the latter, who hasn't played T20s since Kolkata and that fateful final.

You imagine England will play the same XI as the final in the World Twenty20, with the likes of Vince and Dawson set to make way from the last time they played, as well as Mills, who hasn't played cricket since July.

The attack will be comprised of Plunkett, Willey, Jordan, Stokes and Rashid - and it's good to see Jordan put his name forward today to tour Bangladesh, if selected of course.

Morgan has been ominously quiet on the subject, and the captaincy will go to Buttler if he chooses not to tour. England begin the tour of Bangladesh with three ODIs, after all.

I hope the tour ends on a really positive note under the floodlights. It's been wonderful having Pakistan over here.
Reply 1685
Speaking of T20s... my word, what a knock from Australia. 260 was the previous highest total in T20Is, by Sri Lanka against Kenya in the 2007 World T20. Australia bettered it with 263 for 3.

Maxwell hit 145 not out, smashing nine sixes and 14 boundaries to achieve that total in just 65 balls. Australia now lead the three-match series 1-0, and SL couldn't deal with their firepower, with Maxwell achieving the all-time second best individual score in T20 internationals behind teammate Aaron Finch’s 156.

The margin of defeat - 85 - was SL's biggest in T20s. Chandimal tried his best, knocking a half-century, but Maxwell and Travis Head's 45 (comprising of three sixes and four boundaries in just 18 balls) meant the Sri Lankan bowlers conceded 11 runs an over.

Starc and Boland both picked up three apiece to strangle the hosts' innings, and Faulkner/Henriques/Zampa picked up a wicket each in what was a pretty decent all-round bowling performance from the Aussies.
England's security personnel have conducted their checks on Bangladesh and they, the experts, seem satisfied but individuals have their rights to say no. Saw a headline from a KP column suggesting Morgan would one day 'pay' for not going but don't foresee that. It might be whoever takes positions for those who don't travel will put themselves in the reckoning to secure a regular spot in the team.

Recent interviews by Lancs opener Haseeb Hameed very impassive, more so in regards to understanding his mentality in accumulating runs. Likely to get a call up this winter.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1687
Original post by Aky786UK
England's security personnel have conducted their checks on Bangladesh and they, the experts, seem satisfied but individuals have their rights to say no. Saw a headline from a KP column suggesting Morgan would one day 'pay' for not going but don't foresee that. It might be whoever takes positions for those who don't travel will put themselves in the reckoning to secure a regular spot in the team.

Recent interviews by Lancs opener Haseeb Hameed very impassive, more so in regards to understanding his mentality in accumulating runs. Likely to get a call up this winter.

Posted from TSR Mobile

In my view, it's very hard for any player to say they won't go once the captain has pledged that he will be there.

Cook, expecting a child no less, is set to captain the Test side. I imagine everybody else will follow suit.*
Reply 1688
The International Cricket Council has been forced to shelve plans for the creation of two-division Test championship following opposition from Zimbabwe, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and, most significantly, India.

The boards of England, Australia, South Africa, New Zealand and Pakistan were all understood to have been in support of the plan.
Reply 1689
Well, that's just a nigh on perfect performance from Pakistan.

England always looked short of runs, with each batsman giving their wicket away in a T20 fashion. I wasn't surprised to see the side the hosts deployed, knowing they had to put on a show to round off a very good summer's worth of entertainment on these shores, and it makes sense to stick with the same XI as in Kolkata, during THAT disappointing World Twenty20 final.

But Pakistan's gameplan was flawless. It's easy to get drawn on the negatives from an England perspective, focusing on where the home side got it wrong and why, but that does a disservice to Pakistan. It's easy to forget that there are 11 other men on the cricket pitch trying to execute a gameplan, and merely saying England were poor and would have won if they performed does a disservice to just how brilliant Pakistan were.

The bowlers were exceptional, and they had a plan for every single England batsman. That's what you need to do against this England side, knowing they bat so deep with such a long tail. Graeme Swann is absolutely on the money: Pakistan are the ultimate mercurial team. They are either red hot or stone cold. They were definitely the former tonight.

Khalid and Sharjeel should take all the plaudits, because their batting was imperious and got Pakistan over the line after England set a rather disappointing total on a very kind Old Trafford track. England looked woefully short of runs, and the visitors racked them up with 5.1 overs to spare and nine wickets in hand.

England's bowling was poor - they should have deployed death overs bowling tactics far, far earlier - but the captaincy of Morgan was questionable, especially when he threw the ball to Moeen and deployed him after Pakistan have been targeting him all summer. Rashid went for 7.25 an over, but he was the only one who had a respectable economy, with Jordan (16), Plunkett (13.5), Stokes (10), Root (10), Willey (8) and Moeen (8) all struggling.

Compare those figures with Pakistan: Wasim (4.25), Riaz (4.5), Ali (6), Amir (8.25) and Tanvir (8.75).

Chalk and cheese.
Well, that was completely unexpected. Kinda sums up Pakistan's performances.

More so was the solid start England had which should have given them the platform to rack up a big score and put the pressure on the opposition but Pakistan showed resilience and focus to stay in the game. Imad Wasim's personality is likeable and he plays with his heart on his sleeve but Hassan Ali bowled with variety, Wahab steamed in brilliantly and Amir I felt was a tad unlucky not to pick up a wicket at least. They bowled to a plan effectively and England didn't know how to bat it out. Sharjeel and Latif came out scorching and the former was exciting to watch. I'd heard alot about him and thought he was another one-hit wonder (thinking specifically of Tauqir Zia!) but showed why Leicestershire have signed him for the T20 Blast next season.

I thought Nasser was correct on commentary in relation to England's bowling, just bowl an off stump length and frustration would have kicked in for Sharjeel and Latif would have gone into a defensive mode but it was so simple for the openers to steam home the runs in what was, a fantastic atmosphere. Morgan's post-match comments I thought were a tad poor, blaming the toss and dew rather than his team not adapting to the opposition's plans. Sarfaraz' standing has risen further - led by example with his energy and positivity and honestly, I'd be amazed if he wasn't ODI captain within a year. I don't see Azhar fulfilling that role with the awareness that it needs and ultimately, he'll resign. If I was him, I'd cosy up to Sarfaraz and use his presence rather than budding up to the has been Hafeez.

But there goes, what has been a very good series in all formats for the two teams. Relieved that there hasn't been any controversy so credit given to the PCB as I imagine they'd prepared for this tour and the scrutiny it would entail. Pakistan can be, overall, delighted with the tour - incredible effort by the Test team and the ending of it has been satisfactory.
Well, that was completely unexpected. Kinda sums up Pakistan's performances.

More so was the solid start England had which should have given them the platform to rack up a big score and put the pressure on the opposition but Pakistan showed resilience and focus to stay in the game. Imad Wasim's personality is likeable and he plays with his heart on his sleeve but Hassan Ali bowled with variety, Wahab steamed in brilliantly and Amir I felt was a tad unlucky not to pick up a wicket at least. They bowled to a plan effectively and England didn't know how to bat it out. Sharjeel and Latif came out scorching and the former was exciting to watch. I'd heard alot about him and thought he was another one-hit wonder (thinking specifically of Tauqir Zia!) but showed why Leicestershire have signed him for the T20 Blast next season.

I thought Nasser was correct on commentary in relation to England's bowling, just bowl an off stump length and frustration would have kicked in for Sharjeel and Latif would have gone into a defensive mode but it was so simple for the openers to steam home the runs in what was, a fantastic atmosphere. Morgan's post-match comments I thought were a tad poor, blaming the toss and dew rather than his team not adapting to the opposition's plans. Sarfaraz' standing has risen further - led by example with his energy and positivity and honestly, I'd be amazed if he wasn't ODI captain within a year. I don't see Azhar fulfilling that role with the awareness that it needs and ultimately, he'll resign. If I was him, I'd cosy up to Sarfaraz and use his presence rather than budding up to the has been Hafeez.

But there goes, what has been a very good series in all formats for the two teams. Relieved that there hasn't been any controversy so credit given to the PCB as I imagine they'd prepared for this tour and the scrutiny it would entail. Pakistan can be, overall, delighted with the tour - incredible effort by the Test team and the ending of it has been satisfactory.

Yep! A very good and competitive series has come to an end. Can't wait till the next time they meet up!
Reply 1692
Pakistan blow very hot and cold, but there's definitely an argument to suggest the fact they're heading home on the plane tomorrow after a long tour (to see their families etc) made them play with freedom tonight. They seemed to really enjoy themselves, and the introduction of a new captain allowed them to play without shackles too.

Full credit to Wasim, who was excellent in removing both spinners, and Wahab, who terrorised England with his pace. It's even more impressive considering the latter sat out the last two white-ball matches and spent time on the sidelines, after racking up terrible figures as England blitzed their way to a world record total at Trent Bridge in the third ODI. Wahab got 0-110 that day, but he hit back in style tonight.

His figures o 3-18 are brilliant, especially when you take into account the fact he took the scalp of Buttler on his home ground.

England just achieved runs too slowly - and they didn't even hit a boundary in their final six overs. They only hit one boundary in their final ten. It was a fantastic summer for England, but it's ended on a damp squib.

I wish Pakistan all the best. Thanks for a great summer of cricket. I wish we'd had five Tests and not given SL so much time, to be honest.
Now we have the next three weeks seeing the conclusion of the County Championship. Looks like Yorkshire may get the upper hand this week though with the two meeting in the last game of the season, could go down to the last game. Hope weather does not stop any game reaching a result.
Reply 1694
Warwickshire will be looking over their shoulder towards the end of the season, but yet again, Ben Duckett just underlines his credentials and talent. He hit 208 against Kent, as Northants beat them on the third day.

He, Batty and Bell-Drummond, along with Hameed, will be gutted to miss out on the subcontinent tours you imagine.

To be honest, I worry a little about the latter, because he has such a slow strike rate and Test cricket just doesn't give you that time to bed in - especially attacks spearheaded by the likes of Starc and Steyn. Admittedly, the Indian and Bangladeshi openers aren't that fierce, but regardless, opening on the subcontinent and debuting on those dustbowls is a task like no other.

Still, I agree with Bayliss, and if he's good enough, he's old enough.

Australia vs SL in the final T20 tomorrow - with Dilshan preparing to bid farewell. It'll be an emotional occasion, with the tourists looking at Maxwell to inspire them once again.
pakistan smashed england, they won the 20/20, drew the tests and lost the 50/50

AWAY

Very poor performance from England.*
Reply 1696
One week to go until the England touring squad for Bangladesh is announced - and Morgan, again, has underlined his doubts over the tour today. Worrying signs for the selectors and set-up, who have said they want both skippers out there, both for the red-ball matches and limited overs matches.

Morgan deserves sympathy, in truth. He was part of Bangalore Royal Challengers' squad in 2010 when two blasts struck outside the Chinnaswamy Stadium, and of course, he has experienced political unrest during a stint playing domestic cricket in Bangladesh first-hand.
Original post by Mackay

Morgan deserves sympathy, in truth. He was part of Bangalore Royal Challengers' squad in 2010 when two blasts struck outside the Chinnaswamy Stadium, and of course, he has experienced political unrest during a stint playing domestic cricket in Bangladesh first-hand.

Didn't know about this and as usual, it isn't reported when the stories about this are written. You can understand his point of view - IIRC, Buttler has got the vice captaincy(?) so I don't envisage a real challenge to Morgan's job. If it was Root however then possibly as you can sense he'd revel being the captain.
Reply 1698
Didn't know about this and as usual, it isn't reported when the stories about this are written. You can understand his point of view - IIRC, Buttler has got the vice captaincy(?) so I don't envisage a real challenge to Morgan's job. If it was Root however then possibly as you can sense he'd revel being the captain.

Buttler, yeah. All hints suggest Morgan won't be going.

Meanwhile, the ICC continues to look to put Test cricket into "context". After the two-tier system proposal was shelved, they are now suggesting a Test Championship play-off could be introduced, as well as an ODI league.
Only one point between Middlesex and Yorkshire now as both won today. If equal then at present it would be Middlesex from fewer losses.

Quick Reply

Latest