The Student Room Group

16 year old needs help with makeup??

Hi
I'm really struggling with makeup at the moment and I'd be so grateful if I could have some advice! Here's a few things you should know about my face:
- I find it really difficult to apply face makeup because I have quite big pores all over my face and I get quite a few spots. My skin can get quite shiny but it feels very very dehydrated so when I apply concealer on my face it gets really cakey quickly. I also apply it with my hands. I never put makeup on my forehead as I have quite a lot of light hair on there and my forehead's really pale so for some reason it never looks right when I apply makeup there. I also don't put makeup on my nose because I have quite big dark freckles so it looks really weird when I put makeup over them- plus my nose has loads of pores. However, because I apply makes on my cheeks, when I blush I only get a red nose and forehead! I I feel like my skin is also quite dull
- I have MASSIVE dark circles under my eyes and lots of blue/purple pigmentation. I have very visible veins too and the skin under eyes is a bit bumpy and very thin and delicate. As a result I apply loads and loads of concealer to cover up all the ugliness under my eyes. However, it takes ages to cover up as I have to apply loads of coats of concealer. Because the texture of my under eye skin is bumpy and dehydrated it gets cakey pretty easily. Because I apply so much concealer under my eyes and not as much on my cheeks (I naturally get quite red cheeks) when I blush it looks like I have massive white circles under my eyes.
-Because I have quite thick hair, my eyebrow hairs are also very thick and they are very long so they stick up all over the place and look really unruly! S I some hairs growing above my eyebrows and the ends of my eyebrows are quite sparse because I practically plucked half my eyebrows off when I was younger!
-I have very straight, thick eyelashes which clump SO easily so I find it really really difficult to keep them separated, clump free and with a curl. My eyelids are also a bit hooded which makes it difficult to apply flattering eye makeup and my eyes are often quite bloodshot. My eyes are also pretty small and I think they're quite close together which means I can't really apply eyeliner or eyeshadow on my tight line or under my eyes as it makes them look even smaller.My eyes are a grey/blue ocean colour with green flecks.
- I have quite small lips/my mouth itself is quite small and not very wide but I have a quite prominent Cupid's bow and my bottom lip is much fuller than my top lip. My natural lip colour is pretty dark (very dark pink/almost red) so I can't really wear any nudes/light pink colours. My lips are also quite dry so my lips almost look flaky when I apply bright/matte lip colours and the lipstick fades quite quickly.
So... That's everything! I have a lot of problems with my face but I also don't want to wear too much makeup and I also want to keep it really really natural. And if possible I don't want to wear foundation. Any advice? What makeup products would you recommend i need for a complete makeup collection?? I have no idea what makeup products I need in my makeup bag...
Thanks so much for your help, it will be greatly appreciated!!
(edited 8 years ago)
Have you tried a primer, it should help with your large pores.Maybelline do a 'fatigue' one in their Baby skin line that should help stop your skin looking dull (I haven't tried it myself but I've heard good things!) And using something like a makeup sponge would be far better than using your hands, and could help with your spots too. Also trying a BB cream might be good for you, since they tend to be very moisturising and they're usually very light, so you could apply an even coat all over your face and because it's so light it will allow your skin to still show through and not look 'weird' like you described (if that makes sense?!). Do you use a specific dark circles concealer? Because you should be able to apply less of that and not have it look cakey. I would love to have thick eyebrows!! But have you tried brushing them up and trimming them along your natural eyebrow line (sorry I didn't really explain that well but you can find videos on youtube!). Wayne Goss on youtube does some fantastic tutorials for eye makeup for hooded eyes! Something like a tinted lipbalm would probably be a good bet, or applying lip balm a few minutes before you apply lipstick to let your lips hydrate?
I'm no expert but I hope I've helped! :smile:
Hey :smile:

You said you use your hands when applying makeup, in that case I would HIGHLY recommend that you wash them thoroughly before touching your face! The dirt on your hands will only exacerbate things - it will most likely cause more spots!

Personally, when applying foundation/primer/BB cream (whichever you fancy) I would use a beauty blender - it really helps to achieve an all-over, even coverage and I find that it also helps in making my pores and spots much less visible :smile: and you can get them really cheap!!

Also, tinted lip balms or a lip gloss is an amazing way to make your lips look less cracked/dry. I have extremely dry lips which I can never seem to get rid of but I heard that sea salt scrubs work a treat so I'd maybe give that a try?

This is all I can really say, I hope I've helped to some extent. Good luck :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest