The Student Room Group

Part-Time Tutor Work for 16-18 year olds

Just wondering about tutor work for 16 year olds.

I'm moving out at 16 this summer (to Scotland) with my friend, and, providing no drastic change, it should be more then possible (I have family support and help etc.).

But work is just what I'm wondering about, I'd need to get a well paid job that pays well over £4.50p/h, and my preferences would be to go into Supermarket work (seems to pay about £10ish an hour which having both of us on 20 hours a week in a super market would be great) or Tutoring for English and/or Maths, both of which I'm predicted a 9 (GCSE) on.

But I've heard Supermarkets are hard to get into, especially for <18s due to the amount of applications that it'd take, so tutoring (if possible) looks like a better option.

TLDR here So here's my questions for anyone working in tutoring or someone who knows someone who's working in tutoring (at 16-18):

1) Is the pay enough to survive on (2 people working)? I know per hour it seems good but can also be quite spontaneous and gig-based.

2) If yes, how many hours would 2 people have to work per week to live together and survive, would working part-time work?

3) How important is past experience? I've been teaching Scots Gaelic since about 13-14 and, considering everything goes well, have a 7-9 in English and Maths.

4) How realistic is it to be working completely online?

5) Is it easily balanceable with a full-time education? (Scottish Highers, so about 9am-4pm Monday and Tuesday and 9am-3pm Wednesday-Friday)

Any help would be appreciated :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Flòraidh
Just wondering about tutor work for 16 year olds.

I'm moving out at 16 this summer (to Scotland) with my friend, and, providing no drastic change, it should be more then possible (I have family support and help etc.).

But work is just what I'm wondering about, I'd need to get a well paid job that pays well over £4.50p/h, and my preferences would be to go into Supermarket work (seems to pay about £10ish an hour which having both of us on 20 hours a week in a super market would be great) or Tutoring for English and/or Maths, both of which I'm predicted a 9 (GCSE) on.

But I've heard Supermarkets are hard to get into, especially for <18s due to the amount of applications that it'd take, so tutoring (if possible) looks like a better option.

I doubt any parent will want a 16 year old as a tutor.

Supermarkets often employ sixthformers and I would think that's the best way forward.

Latest

Trending

Trending