The Student Room Group

Would you drop out of your degree if you could earn £100k / year?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Howard
Maybe. I've no idea how many people graduate from target universities with math degrees each year, or how many of these apply for IB, or how many of those are successful. I'll take your word for it.

Depends. If we're talking about quant finance, then yeah, the majority will have some form of quantitative degree (Maths, CS, Physics etc), I believe the same goes for trading desks that cover more complicated financial products.

Actual IB (M&A etc) or more vanilla trading desks (stocks, commodities etc) don't really have a preference either way. The pre-reqs are that you're at least slightly intelligence, don't have the social skills of a potato and have the work ethic to withstand the long hours (only applies for IB).

The degree itself (apart from the above caveat for quant finance) isn't that important to be honest; if you can pass through the recruitment process you'll get the job.
Original post by Princepieman
How come? Surely, you have some ambition to rise through the ranks?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Of course I do, I'm just not the most optimistic of people :lol: plus my aim at the moment is to be a research scientist.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Changing Skies
Of course I do, I'm just not the most optimistic of people :lol: plus my aim at the moment is to be a research scientist.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh, I see! Haha, you need a more 'glass half full' mentality :tongue:

Well, who knows? You might end up leading a team of other scientists in the future, that'll definitely command a salary that's comparable to the one in the title.
I can't think of anything worse than working from home. Complete isolation.

I'll complete the degree, thanks.
Original post by Princepieman
Ahh, I see! Haha, you need a more 'glass half full' mentality :tongue:

Well, who knows? You might end up leading a team of other scientists in the future, that'll definitely command a salary that's comparable to the one in the title.

Haha definitely! :tongue:

We shall see how things turn out, that'd sure be nice!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Easily a yes.
No. Because if your job collapses after the first month you are completely ****ed.

Better to have a qualification.
No. Education means a lot more to me than simply money.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending