The Student Room Group

Maintenance loan question - please HELP

Hi SFE advisors, I would be grateful if you could offer me advice in relation to my and partner’s maintenance loan situation.

My partner and I are full time students on a nursing degree course which we started this September 2023. My partner has received her first maintenance payment of roughly £4,000 while mine has been approved but waiting to be paid out.

Student finance has requested that I should complete form PFF2 (Assessment of Financial Circumstances For parents and partners of students) in which I have to provide my earnings for April 2021-April 2022 financial year. During that period I earned a total of £45,000. My partner was not working at the time as she was looking after our children. My partner started working full time from October 2022 and reduced her hours to 15 hours a week when she started her nursing course in September 2023.

These are my questions:

1). Considering that I earned £45,000 during 2021-2022 period, will this affect how much maintenance loan my partner and I will receive?

2). Will my partner’s earning from October 2022 to date be taking into consideration when working out how much we both get?

Thank tor your help.

Xx
Original post by hyginusoiwuh
Hi SFE advisors, I would be grateful if you could offer me advice in relation to my and partner’s maintenance loan situation.

My partner and I are full time students on a nursing degree course which we started this September 2023. My partner has received her first maintenance payment of roughly £4,000 while mine has been approved but waiting to be paid out.

Student finance has requested that I should complete form PFF2 (Assessment of Financial Circumstances For parents and partners of students) in which I have to provide my earnings for April 2021-April 2022 financial year. During that period I earned a total of £45,000. My partner was not working at the time as she was looking after our children. My partner started working full time from October 2022 and reduced her hours to 15 hours a week when she started her nursing course in September 2023.

These are my questions:

1). Considering that I earned £45,000 during 2021-2022 period, will this affect how much maintenance loan my partner and I will receive?

2). Will my partner’s earning from October 2022 to date be taking into consideration when working out how much we both get?

Thank tor your help.

Xx

Hi there,

We assess you both based on the last completed tax year which for 23/24 applications would be the 21/22 tax year. Has your income dropped 15% or more since 21/22 or estimated to in the 23/24 tax year? Thanks, Jason
Reply 2
Hi Jason,

Thanks for responding.

I left my full time job at the end of September when I started my uni. I now work 2 days a week. My predicated earnings for 2023/24 (that’s April 2023-April 2024) will be around £38,000.

Thanks.
Hi Jason,

Thanks for responding.

I left my full time job at the end of September when I started my uni. I now work 2 days a week. My predicated earnings for 2023/24 (that’s April 2023-April 2024) will be around £38,000.

Thanks.

Hi there,

Thanks, it's true that we'll use your 21/22 income to assess your wife's Maintenance Loan. So, based on this it's possible that this will reduce her entitlement, but we'll know for sure once the PFF2 form is processed.

However, if you expect your income to drop by more than 15% you can also complete the Current Year Income (CYI) form and upload this to your account: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/642ea04dfbe620000f17ddde/sfe_cyi_form_2324_o.pdf

That way, we can use your 23/24 estimates instead.

Thanks, Graeme
Reply 4
Thanks
Reply 5
Original post by Graeme SFE
Hi there,

Thanks, it's true that we'll use your 21/22 income to assess your wife's Maintenance Loan. So, based on this it's possible that this will reduce her entitlement, but we'll know for sure once the PFF2 form is processed.

However, if you expect your income to drop by more than 15% you can also complete the Current Year Income (CYI) form and upload this to your account: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/642ea04dfbe620000f17ddde/sfe_cyi_form_2324_o.pdf

That way, we can use your 23/24 estimates instead.

Thanks, Graeme

Hi Graeme,

I’ve completed the form however I am unsure which section of the form that I have to put my partner’s details. Could you please advice.

Thanks a lot.
Hi Graeme,

I’ve completed the form however I am unsure which section of the form that I have to put my partner’s details. Could you please advice.

Thanks a lot.

Hi there,

What form is it you are referring to? It should advise on the form which part is for your partner.

Thanks, Drew
Reply 7
Original post by Drew SLC
Hi there,

What form is it you are referring to? It should advise on the form which part is for your partner.

Thanks, Drew

Hi, I’m referring to this form:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/642ea04dfbe620000f17ddde/sfe_cyi_form_2324_o.pdf

I couldn’t see where to put my partner’s details.
Hi hyginusoiwuh,

Your partner should put her details under "Person 1".

Thanks,
Calum
Reply 9
Thank you
Thank you

Hi there,

You are welcome. Enjoy the rest of your evening.

Thanks, Drew

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending