The Student Room Group

Entitlement and repayments if repeating a year

Hi, I’m currently on a top up course to ‘upgrade’ my foundation degree to a level 6 however I’m really struggling this year and considering deferring and starting again next year.

Iv had student finance for 2 years for my foundation degree and had it agreed for this third year.

I’m thinking of two options: dropping out and starting the same top up course again in sept 24 OR dropping out and starting a different top up year with a different provider.

First question - In both scenarios, would I be entitled to funding for the repeated 3rd year?

Second most important question- If I drop out now and start again in sept 24, will my repayments also be deferred until I finish the course in 2025? Or would they start in April 24 ? I would be earning over the repayment threshold in the interim.

Thanks
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by LauraLogan73
Hi, I’m currently on a top up course to ‘upgrade’ my foundation degree to a level 6 however I’m really struggling this year and considering deferring and starting again next year.

Iv had student finance for 2 years for my foundation degree and had it agreed for this third year.

I’m thinking of two options: dropping out and starting the same top up course again in sept 24 OR dropping out and starting a different top up year with a different provider.

First question - In both scenarios, would I be entitled to funding for the repeated 3rd year?

Second most important question- If I drop out now and start again in sept 24, will my repayments also be deferred until I finish the course in 2025? Or would they start in April 24 ? I would be earning over the repayment threshold in the interim.

Thanks

Hi Laura. Could you please confirm the full name of the Top Up course, the foundation course and university?
Thanks, Leah.
Reply 2
Original post by Leah SLC
Hi Laura. Could you please confirm the full name of the Top Up course, the foundation course and university?
Thanks, Leah.

Hi Leah

Foundation degree was psychology and criminology at south Devon university centre and the top up course is Social and Therapeutic Interventions Level 6 at the same place.

I have narrowed down my option to retaking the same top up course.
still seeking answer to above question in original post and also would like clarity that the repeat year would remain on plan 2?
Thanks
(edited 4 months ago)
Original post by LauraLogan73
Hi Leah

Foundation degree was psychology and criminology at south Devon university centre and the top up course is Social and Therapeutic Interventions Level 6 at the same place.

I have narrowed down my option to retaking the same top up course.
still seeking answer to above question in original post and also would like clarity that the repeat year would remain on plan 2?
Thanks

Hi Laura,

If you were to repeat your Top Up again then you would be eligible for full funding as you have an additional year of funding which you can use. As you are repeating then you would not go into repayment until the following April after you graduation date. I do not know what plan you would be on as this would be a repayments question. You can call them Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm to check with them.

0300 100 0611

Thanks, Drew

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending