The Student Room Group

How was Katie Hopkins allowed on a university campus?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KingBradly
It's not a question of whether they're allowed to or not. The point is that it's pretty feeble. By all means, criticize her, but trying to create pressure against having people such as her invited is just childish.

This woman feeds of criticism, about the only thing you can do with someone like that is say, "You can say whatever you want, we're not going to listen to it".
Original post by Gwilym101
This woman feeds of criticism, about the only thing you can do with someone like that is say, "You can say whatever you want, we're not going to listen to it".

Why did they turn up then?
I guess they wanted to put their point across in a clear and obvious manner. At least they didn't try to shout her down or silence her, or try to prevent her from talking at the university in the first place.
Why did they turn up then?

The same reason various websites and celebs have said they're not going to report or comment on her any more. Make it clear they disapprove but ensure little to no press blowout for her to feed off of.
Reply 24
It's hilarious when liberal's feelings are hurt by people like Katie..

No problem calling in radical Islamist preachers though huh
The same reason various websites and celebs have said they're not going to report or comment on her any more. Make it clear they disapprove but ensure little to no press blowout for her to feed off of.

Why do they have to make it clear they disapprove? Why not just ignore her completely?
Original post by MatureStudent36
It wasn't too long ago that student unions were banning newspapers, political parties and people from certain countries who don't jive with their middle class, left wing phase on life.

A) Some student unions of some universities.

B) Irrelevent as that clearly didn't happen in this video.

C) This is a woman who said she didn't like geographical names yet her daughters name is India, called a nurse in africa a "sweaty glaswegian ebola bomb", if she actually had opinions that were worth debating that might be something, all she does is issue sound bites she knows will piss people off and get her name in the media. She knows she can make more money commenting than actually doing something meaningful.
Why do they have to make it clear they disapprove? Why not just ignore her completely?

Because people sometimes take silence for approval.
Reply 28
Original post by MatureStudent36
It wasn't too long ago that student unions were banning newspapers, political parties and people from certain countries who don't jive with their middle class, left wing phase on life.

Student Unions have always been a hotbed of as$hats.

I remember my time at UCLan many years ago. The SU rag at the time was called "Pluto -furthest from the Sun" (get it? boom boom!) I used to write to the letters page all the time putting forward a robust slightly right of center point of view for which I became quite well known - and very well hated. Happy days!!
(edited 8 years ago)
Because people sometimes take silence for approval.

But as you said before, she doesn't feed off approval, she feeds off bad press.
She's an overhyped nobody in my eyes
But as you said before, she doesn't feed off approval, she feeds off bad press.

It might cut off her food supply but if you have on rat in your house you probably have another. Someone else will try and fill the niche, the press will have a field day and the cycle will start all over again.

Clear statement that you're refusing to engage with someone like her demonstrates disapproval you feel without giving them the press they feed off of.

If she was controversial because she actually stood for something that might be different. She just spouts of lines that she knows will make people hate her and generate lots of press.
It might cut off her food supply but if you have on rat in your house you probably have another. Someone else will try and fill the niche, the press will have a field day and the cycle will start all over again.

Clear statement that you're refusing to engage with someone like her demonstrates disapproval you feel without giving them the press they feed off of.

If she was controversial because she actually stood for something that might be different. She just spouts of lines that she knows will make people hate her and generate lots of press.

But the people who like her will still like her no matter what these people do.
But the people who like her will still like her no matter what these people do.

Doesn't mean you have to encourage them.
Doesn't mean you have to encourage them.

So why didn't they just stay at home?
So why didn't they just stay at home?

Didn't like the idea of doing nothing, there being no protest, people generally don't like accepting something they dislike. This method meant there was some form of protest, it was something they could actively do and didn't generate controversy. Pretty much the ideal way of actively protesting someone like this.

Would you rather they blocked entrance to the hall, waving signs around, calling people who went in cockroaches?
Didn't like the idea of doing nothing, there being no protest, people generally don't like accepting something they dislike. This method meant there was some form of protest, it was something they could actively do and didn't generate controversy. Pretty much the ideal way of actively protesting someone like this.

Would you rather they blocked entrance to the hall, waving signs around, calling people who went in cockroaches?

No, I'd rather they accepted the fact that she has different opinions to themselves, and either didn't attend, or actually bothered to come up with criticisms for her views.
Katie Hopkins isn't my cup of tea personally but you see some of the dregs of society SOAS allow to speak and you'd think anyone ought to be allowed if they are.
No, I'd rather they accepted the fact that she has different opinions to themselves, and either didn't attend, or actually bothered to come up with criticisms for her views.

She doesn't have debatable opinions, she has soundbites. People have criticised her and she still hasn't shut up, bragging that she's "The biggest bitch in britain". She is the equivalent of an internet troll and as so many say, don't feed the troll.
She doesn't have debatable opinions, she has soundbites. People have criticised her and she still hasn't shut up, bragging that she's "The biggest bitch in britain". She is the equivalent of an internet troll and as so many say, don't feed the troll.

Best to just ignore her then.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending