The Student Room Group
Edge Hill University
Edge Hill University
Ormskirk
Visit website

Ask a current Edge Hill University student!

Hi everyone! :hello:

My name is Emily and I am a 21 year old first year student at Edge Hill. I am studying a BA Honours in Creative Writing.

I live off campus in Ormskirk and am originally from Belfast, Northern Ireland. I am a student rep and will also be the Student's Union Women's Officer this coming September.

I would be happy to answer any questions about my course, student life, the SU or about university in general so feel free to reply to this post with anything you want to know.

Thanks for reading!:excited:

Emily
First Year Creative Writing Student
Hey!

My name is Rebecca, I am 19 and currently a second year student studying BSc Geoenvironmental Hazards.

I've lived on campus for my first two years (main halls and founders west) and in my final year will be living off campus.

I would be happy to answer any questions about accommodation, university life, my course etc.

Rebecca
2nd Year Geoenvironmental Hazards Student
Edge Hill University
Edge Hill University
Ormskirk
Visit website
Hey :smile:

My names Nicole and I am a first year law student at Edge Hill; I spent my first year on campus and will be continuing to live away from home during my second year!

I'm happy to answer any questions you may have regarding university, and life at university etc. so please feel free to message me :smile:

Nicole
First year law student
Hi everyone,

My name is Katie and I am a second year Educational Psychology student at Edge Hill University. I lived in Palatine in my First year on campus and I now live in Ormskirk.

If you have any questions about university life, accommodation, student support or anything else I would be happy to help :smile:

Katie
Original post by EdgeHillStudents
Hey :smile:

My names Nicole and I am a first year law student at Edge Hill; I spent my first year on campus and will be continuing to live away from home during my second year!

I'm happy to answer any questions you may have regarding university, and life at university etc. so please feel free to message me :smile:

Nicole
First year law student

Hiii there

Is Edge Hill a good university to go to and study there?
Also, what is the 1st/ 2nd of the university is like!? And what do you know to know when u to uni? Tips and advice!! And especially for those who will be living off-campus! I will
Be waiting for ur reply.
Original post by Anonymous
Hiii there

Also, what is the 1st/ 2nd of the university is like!? And what do you know to know when u to uni? Tips and advice!! And especially for those who will be living off-campus! I will
Be waiting for ur reply.

Plz, reply to my message I will be waiting for ur reply.
Hiii there

Be waiting for ur reply.

Hi there!

I can give you a few tips and pieces of advice. I personally have loved my first year in Edge Hill. There are a lot of great things about the university but I found the campus and facilities to be the main selling points for me.

I can only speak about first year as I’m going into my second this September but I felt very welcomed and quickly took to life at Edge Hill in first year and I am very excited for my next two years!

I decided to live off campus as it worked best for me and I am so happy I did. If you live off campus you are usually close to the town centre of Ormskirk but you’re never too far from the University to walk. It can be easy at the start of the year to feel isolated when you do live off campus but once classes started and I got myself involved in Uni life, I didn’t feel disconnected anymore.

My main piece of advice would be to try and take advantage of all that the university has to offer for students and take part to meet like minded people.

What course are you planning on studying? 🙂

Emily
Hi there!

I can give you a few tips and pieces of advice. I personally have loved my first year in Edge Hill. There are a lot of great things about the university but I found the campus and facilities to be the main selling points for me.

I can only speak about first year as I’m going into my second this September but I felt very welcomed and quickly took to life at Edge Hill in first year and I am very excited for my next two years!

I decided to live off campus as it worked best for me and I am so happy I did. If you live off campus you are usually close to the town centre of Ormskirk but you’re never too far from the University to walk. It can be easy at the start of the year to feel isolated when you do live off campus but once classes started and I got myself involved in Uni life, I didn’t feel disconnected anymore.

My main piece of advice would be to try and take advantage of all that the university has to offer for students and take part to meet like minded people.

What course are you planning on studying? 🙂

Emily

Hi,

I am planning on studying Children's learning and development in September. So I would love to know more about the course and if so some students and teachers around here to give information generally anything and everything.
Reply 8
Hi,
I’ve just finished year 12 and looking into unis for primary teaching. Im wondering what transport is like in terms of train stations/ buses etc for travelling to uni and what the social life is like with societies etc (for example is there a drama soc?)
Thanks
Original post by charves14
Hi,
I’ve just finished year 12 and looking into unis for primary teaching. Im wondering what transport is like in terms of train stations/ buses etc for travelling to uni and what the social life is like with societies etc (for example is there a drama soc?)
Thanks

Hi @charves14,

Transport wise there is the edge link bus which is available to edge hill students and just requires you to show your student id card. This does a route from Edge Hill Uni to Ormskirk bus station with Ormskirk being the local town.
Then there is the train station which goes to Liverpool and Preston with them taking around 30 minutes.
Other buses at the Ormskirk bus station include the following.
With details on the edge link bus, trains, cycling and more can be found here.

For societies most go out on Wednesday night as this is social night in which people go to the Student Union (SU) after having doing pres within one of the bars within Ormskirk. With many of the social nights having a theme usually requiring some fancy dress. For drama societies there is upstage which is a musical theatre society in which they do two showcases a year one at Christmas and one at the end of the year (this being around May) if you are interested and wish to have a look at what they do they have an Instagram which is @upstagemt_ehsu

Or there is the core there Instagram is @wearethec0re with them holding drama workshops on a Wednesday evening with them doing a full length play at the end of the year as well. Their society page says that the workshops cover a variety of fields with examples including approach to acting, emotional memory and physicality.

You would be able to go to the freshers fair within the first week of starting university where you will be able to sign up for societies such as the ones above. This will be a great opportunity to chat to them and find out which one will suit you best.

Hope that helps, let me know if there is anything else you would like to know! :smile:

Rebecca
Hi @charves14,

Transport wise there is the edge link bus which is available to edge hill students and just requires you to show your student id card. This does a route from Edge Hill Uni to Ormskirk bus station with Ormskirk being the local town.
Then there is the train station which goes to Liverpool and Preston with them taking around 30 minutes.
Other buses at the Ormskirk bus station include the following.
With details on the edge link bus, trains, cycling and more can be found here.

For societies most go out on Wednesday night as this is social night in which people go to the Student Union (SU) after having doing pres within one of the bars within Ormskirk. With many of the social nights having a theme usually requiring some fancy dress. For drama societies there is upstage which is a musical theatre society in which they do two showcases a year one at Christmas and one at the end of the year (this being around May) if you are interested and wish to have a look at what they do they have an Instagram which is @upstagemt_ehsu

Or there is the core there Instagram is @wearethec0re with them holding drama workshops on a Wednesday evening with them doing a full length play at the end of the year as well. Their society page says that the workshops cover a variety of fields with examples including approach to acting, emotional memory and physicality.

You would be able to go to the freshers fair within the first week of starting university where you will be able to sign up for societies such as the ones above. This will be a great opportunity to chat to them and find out which one will suit you best.

Hope that helps, let me know if there is anything else you would like to know! :smile:

Rebecca

thanks so much, I’m not from the north so it’s really useful to hear about transport

My name is Emily and I am a 21 year old first year student at Edge Hill. I am studying a BA Honours in Creative Writing.

I live off campus in Ormskirk and am originally from Belfast, Northern Ireland. I am a student rep and will also be the Student's Union Women's Officer this coming September.

I would be happy to answer any questions about my course, student life, the SU or about university in general so feel free to reply to this post with anything you want to know.

Emily

Hello, I was just wondering that if I’m looking in applying to study at edge hill university, but one thing that is stopping me is my worry if I’m able to support myself financially while studying. I live in London and am looking to study in north England but I’m reluctant since I’m not fully sure if I can get a job, especially at osmkirk. I’m wondering if you have any tips or advice for this?
Hello, I was just wondering that if I’m looking in applying to study at edge hill university, but one thing that is stopping me is my worry if I’m able to support myself financially while studying. I live in London and am looking to study in north England but I’m reluctant since I’m not fully sure if I can get a job, especially at osmkirk. I’m wondering if you have any tips or advice for this?

Hi,

I understand your worries so hopefully these tips help calm them.

Firstly if you are struggling to get a job in Ormskirk there are jobs at the university in which there are many different things for example a student guide in which you would help out on open days and this could just be general so walking people round and giving tours and answering any questions or it could be helping out within your department. In which if you did help out in your department you could also work on taster days as well.

There's the option to show your room on these open days as well and there are student ambassadors as well who work online answering queries from prospective students as well. Other jobs include working in the Students Union as bar staff for social nights, working at Subway or Mcolls. So there are lots of different job opportunities available to students so you can find the best one that suites you and your course.

If you are wanting to work in Ormskirk you could meet with the careers team and have them check your CV to make sure its the best it can be to then help with receiving job offers.

There is also a careers portal that as a student you would be able to gain access to. Which will show on and off campus jobs within a 20-mile radius.

I've linked here a page that details part time work and will allow you to have a look at some of the tips from Edge Hill and also the student jobs available to you.

Hope that helps! Let me know if there is anything else you would like to ask :smile:

Rebecca
3rd Year Geoenvironmental Hazards Student

Emily

Hiyaas, say if I were to go to edge hill university and I completed my first year there, am I able to still stay in the student accommodation during the holidays? And if I apply to student accommodation and I finish my first year, do I have to move out and reapply for accommodation again?
Hiyaas, say if I were to go to edge hill university and I completed my first year there, am I able to still stay in the student accommodation during the holidays? And if I apply to student accommodation and I finish my first year, do I have to move out and reapply for accommodation again?

Hi,

Yes you can stay in accommodation during the holidays if you are meaning Christmas and easter yes you can and that is within what you would be already paying you would just have to fill out a form when it gets near the time so they would know how many people are on campus.

For summer holidays you can stay however I think you have to get in contact with the accommodation team to arrange this and your new contract / payment dates.

For second year accommodation most people live off campus with either flat mates from first year or friends. However, you do have the opportunity to apply on campus again for second year however there is not a definite of you getting this.

Hope that helps!

Rebecca
3rd Year Geoenvironmental Hazards Student
Hi everyone,

My name is Katie and I am a second year Educational Psychology student at Edge Hill University. I lived in Palatine in my First year on campus and I now live in Ormskirk.

If you have any questions about university life, accommodation, student support or anything else I would be happy to help :smile:

Katie

Are you enjoying educational psychology? I’ve been given an offer for 2024 Sept, and I am going to stay in Palatine!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending